Quantcast

Xenophobia for the win!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I guess that the race promoters can do anything they want, but this is stupid, and xenophobic. I am sure there will also be lots of claims of racism too.
_____

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9364746^1702,00.html

Marathon money only for Americans
From correspondents in Minneapolis
April 23, 2004

RUNNERS from around the world enjoy the Twin Cities Marathon for its scenery. That's a good thing, because starting this year only Americans will be eligible for prize money in the event.

Professional runners - many of them foreigners - often dominate the top race prizes. Kenyans swept the Boston Marathon earlier this week. Kenyan men have won 13 of the last 14 Boston Marathons, the nation's most prestigious. In last year's New York City Marathon, the top American man placed 17th, and just one American woman finished in the top 10.

Other races, including the Chicago Marathon, offer bonuses to American citizens. But the Twin Cities Marathon appears to be the first to shut foreigners out of the prize money altogether. The top men's and women's prize is $US25,000 ($34,185).

“We want to be the race the professional American runner wants to go to in the fall,” said Twin Cities Marathon executive director Ron Abrahamson.

More Americans will want to run if they see top prizes going to Americans instead of foreign runners, he said.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
we have to stroke our egos, remember?

...and don't get me started on pros in the olympics