Quantcast

XM Radio survey

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
To HECK with XM... I cant believe that any true biker would do business with a company that is in cahoots with Clear Channel..... Yah, as some hair-splitter pointed out earlier on in the thread, CCC is not an actual partner, But it is a large supplier, thus some of every dollar you spend on XM goes to CCC. That's just wrong, it also makes a person PART OF THE PROBLEM rather than part of the solution. :dancing:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Clark Kent said:
To HECK with XM... I cant believe that any true biker would do business with a company that is in cahoots with Clear Channel..... Yah, as some hair-splitter pointed out earlier on in the thread, CCC is not an actual partner, But it is a large supplier, thus some of every dollar you spend on XM goes to CCC. That's just wrong, it also makes a person PART OF THE PROBLEM rather than part of the solution. :dancing:

blahblahblahblah

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Clark Kent said:
XM = Clear channel

Sirius = no Clear channel

well, that might have just changed my mind.

so, is this true or does clear channel just have a station or two on XM?

clear channel has been the destroyer of some awesome metal stations in san diego. i'd hate to see the clear channel "formula" applied to other things- oh- the formula- you'll get it after listening to most country stations around here- 1/2 hour and the playlist starts over.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
I think I would have gone with XM and not Sirius since they seem to be the leader in the field; XM has more than 2.5 million subscribers, while Sirius has more than 800,000.

However, with Sirius signing Howard Stern, your gamble might pay off big. Although Sirius's stock has dropped back to normal levels (after the Stern hype), satellite radio is not going away and the market will continue to grow.

Sirius shares fall (23.5%) back to earth
Thats why I did the gamble.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
From what I've read about the two, XM has a lot more variety on their music channels. Far fewer repeated songs than Sirius. Sirius is still much better than FM radio in that reguard, though.

I decided I liked the channels sirius offers a bit better, so I went that way. Last night I ordered this from their website:

Use the coupon code 070 and the receiver and car (or home) kit are free when you sign up for a year's subscription. Retail on the receiver and car kit is $150. After shipping and everything I paid $168 or something for the equipment and a year's worth of service.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Atomic Dog said:
From what I've read about the two, XM has a lot more variety on their music channels. Far fewer repeated songs than Sirius. Sirius is still much better than FM radio in that reguard, though.

I decided I liked the channels sirius offers a bit better, so I went that way. Last night I ordered this from their website:

Use the coupon code 070 and the receiver and car (or home) kit are free when you sign up for a year's subscription. Retail on the receiver and car kit is $150. After shipping and everything I paid $168 or something for the equipment and a year's worth of service.
How does that hook up into the car?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
slowSSer said:
well, that might have just changed my mind.

so, is this true or does clear channel just have a station or two on XM?

clear channel has been the destroyer of some awesome metal stations in san diego. i'd hate to see the clear channel "formula" applied to other things- oh- the formula- you'll get it after listening to most country stations around here- 1/2 hour and the playlist starts over.
CC is an investor in XM and also a provider of "specialty" :confused: content. As far as I know, their influence on the programming is limited.

XM and Sirius are essentially the same, go with the whomever carries the programming you want. If your sole reason for picking Sirius is to get away from Clear Channel, it's probably not as easy as that. CC owns and operates over 200 venues nationwide and basically own the tours of many musicians, like Aerosmith and Pearl Jam for example. If Sirius carries any live concerts from anywhere other than their own studios, theres a chance that CC is being paid for that content.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
BikeGeek said:
CC is an investor in XM and also a provider of "specialty" :confused: content. As far as I know, their influence on the programming is limited.

XM and Sirius are essentially the same, go with the whomever carries the programming you want. If your sole reason for picking Sirius is to get away from Clear Channel, it's probably not as easy as that. CC owns and operates over 200 venues nationwide and basically own the tours of many musicians, like Aerosmith and Pearl Jam for example. If Sirius carries any live concerts from anywhere other than their own studios, theres a chance that CC is being paid for that content.

thanks for clearing that up for me. it all makes sense now!

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Brian HCM#1 said:
How does that hook up into the car?
It has a built-in FM modulator. You just tune your radio into whatever frequency doesn't have a station on it, and it picks it up that way. For power it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter, but I may just hard wire it.

The thing I liked about this unit is that instead of having a base that you stick to the dash or console with double-sided tape, it has a suction cup so you can stick it to the windshield.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Atomic Dog said:

the referal code for this is: "siriusbackstage"

Thanx for the tip Atomic Dog. I'd been going back and forth, always pussing out in the end. This ended my hesitation.

:cool:

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Atomic Dog said:
Did it ever come?

I ordered one as well and they never charged my card.
Got a reciept and all that - odd no? I'm afraid to order again in case it's just delayed for some reason.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Good newz for investers....
:)

Sirius , XM radio scale Yule heights
NYDailynews.com | Dec 28

Howard Stern helps satellite radio Sirius reach new milestone. Rival XM also gets new customers to tune in at record pace.

Bad boy Howard Stern has turned out to be one of the biggest must-buys of the holiday shopping season.
With Stern set to move over to Sirius in a year, the satellite radio company passed the 1 million subscriber mark yesterday, sending its shares up another 15 cents to close at $8.10.

"We predicted that we would reach 1 million subscribers by year-end and we did it," boasted Sirius' newly named CEO Mel Karmazin. "It's now clear that consumers are increasingly recognizing the appeal of our programing."

The subscriber surge came as customers rushed to snap up portable Sirius radios that can be played in their homes, especially the popular "Sportster" model, the company said.

Sirius radios were so hot that as of the end of last week they were no longer available in local stores like the Circuit City in Union Square. The last shipment of Sirius gear sold out in three hours, Circuit City home audio manager Peter Tanico told the Daily News.

But shoppers didn't just tune in Sirius this Christmas. In fact it was also a great season for Sirius archrival XM, which announced yesterday that it had topped the 3.1 million subscriber mark. Its stock closed yesterday at $39.70, down 2 cents.

"Holiday shoppers bought XM radios in record numbers, reinforcing XM's significant market leadership position in satellite radio," said XM CEO Hugh Panero.

Both satellite contenders lured lots of new business this year with Sirius going from just 260,000 to 1 million customers and XM going from 1.3 million to 3.1 million.

"Santa delivered on the numbers, that's for sure," said satellite radio analyst April Horace of Janco Partners. "This clearly demonstrates that consumers are willing to pay for better quality and sound."

The two rivals are duking it out for satellite radio dominance, with each spending hundreds of millions of dollars to secure the most appealing programing.

Sirius paid a whopping $500 million to lock in Stern, who is now signed to Viacom's Infinity Broadcasting. XM recently cut an 11-year, $650 million deal with Major League Baseball.

XM, which has deals with General Motors and Honda, charges $9.95 a month. Sirius, which is partnered with Ford and Chrysler, charges $12.95 a month.

As both continue to gain momentum they are expected to shake up the traditional radio stations, which are already suffering as listeners tune out.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Sirius Plans Video Service in 2006
Associated Press | 5 Jan | LINK

NEW YORK (AP) - Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. on Wednesday said it is moving ahead with plans to add a video offering to its premium radio service next year, landing a deal to use Microsoft Corp.'s media software to power its mobile video platform.

Sirius also reached an agreement with the software giant to co-develop future video offerings in its latest assault on rival and industry leader XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. The service is expected to launch in the second half of 2006.

With its automotive partners indicating strong demand for entertainment products in new cars, Sirius said it anticipates providing two or three channels of premium content specifically for children.

``We will take the DVD experience to the next level, offering the best content easily available to families and consumers,'' Chief Executive Officer Mel Karmazin said in a statement.

Sirius, which along with XM has pioneered the expanding satellite radio market, broadcasts about 120 channels of commercial-free music and talk-radio programming to subscribers with satellite receivers, as well as via the Internet.

The company recently crossed the million-user mark, ending the year with almost 1.1 million subscribers, while XM reported closing 2004 with 3.1 million customers.

In early Nasdaq activity, shares of Sirius lost 5 cents to trade at $7.47, while Microsoft shares rose 7 cents to $26.91. Shares of XM fell 2.1 percent, or 74 cents, to $34.61.