Quantcast

XMas Charity BMX Bikes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think it'd be good to get them all out at Christmas if possible. I mean, it's fantastic to get a bike to a kid no matter what, but Christmas is a tough time of year for families that can't afford much, or kids whose families are neglectful/absent from their lives.

Besides other BB/BS chapters, lots of charities run "Adopt a Family" programs, including the Salvation Army, so you could check with them. Another avenue might be Habitat for Humanity - we helped a lot of Habitat families build houses and a recently placed family with a kid might need presents.

HotWhiskey

Chimp
Nov 13, 2013
I haven't read the entire thread, yet it is stinkyboy approved, keep in mind that pimp bikes are quicker targets for theft/disappointment...

If this is not a scam, I'll throw in a hundie.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
feel free to reach out to me as im setting it up and coordinating everything, and as Binary said earlier i went out of my way to call in a favor to get him a rather expensive car part without ever really having talked to him or met him.

I talk alot of ****, and i say horrible things (all for jokes) but the reality is i was a kid of a single mom who worked two jobs, i didnt have much growing up and now as an adult i have the capacity, the connections and and the time to help kids who grew up like i did.

There is so much kick ass right there from everyone.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just got off the phone with my case manager. I sent her an e-mail with the details and she is going to forward to the correct person to get the ball rolling.

I also offered to set up some park days at the local parks for the new owners and if anyone else wants to join.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Waiting for an email from the lady after talking to her on the phone regarding the donation. Do we have a time frame for pickups on the bikes? She mentioned the last day they will be in the office is the 23rd, which is Monday. I can pickup the bikes headed this way or do whatever legwork needs to get done. How much of the bikes need to be assembled? I'm stoked to pull this off.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Also messaged rider here named AJ Anaya. I have seen him and talked to him a couple times at Vans, so I hit him up on his FB page to see if maybe he would be willing to show for a organized ride day at a local park.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
They dont need much assembly. We'll assemble them all thursday here. The local chapter says they have 9 kids now with bikes on their list. We can keep it at 6/6 or split to 9/3 whatever you hear back.

Me and Jason (gravity pirates rider) are going to get them Thursday am, and it shouldnt take anytime to assemble really they are mostly assembled. I told Steve just to split the colors 4/4/4. Helmets/Locks should be at my house Thursday as well.

Kazlx, IM me your number and we'll figure out the rest.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Looks like they are closed starting the 23rd, so Friday would be the last day to drop them before Christmas, otherwise it will have to be after.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Love this. Can't wait to see/hear results! Maybe bikemag and or PB should pick up the story?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
that was my first thought too... but what if they don't have the tools to fix it?
I plan on telling the branch here that I can help kids change tubes/do work if they need it. I also heard back from AJ Anaya surprisingly enough and he sounded stoked to come ride. So, it's looking like after kids get their bikes we'll be able to do a little demo day/ride along.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Good idea, but it isn't really a club like Boys and Girls club. They match kids with a mentor and they do things independently of the organization. The offices are really just offices where the staff works from to manage their cases, almost like a social worker or something like that. The adult and kid work out their own outings and activities.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Update from BBBS...they have the 6 kids lined up to get the bikes and they should be getting them Friday night.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Let me know if we get close to another bike
and I might be able to kick in some more.

Last edited: