Quantcast

Xmas week off: good thing or bad

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most bike companies are off this week, and I noticed the chip manufacturers around Silicon Valley are also closed.

I was wondering if that is a good or bad thing? People who have this week off, do you get 2 weeks off as well or just one now?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Time off of work is never a bad thing.

Plus for those of us forced to work, the commute is so much nicer. At least around here. I am not looking forward to next week though. :dead:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm working (hardly) I figure I can save my vacation time and spend it when it's actually nice outside in the springtime.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Good. For me it's a freebie week that i don't have to take out of my 4 wks a year. :)

course, i've been studying the whole time.

(or pretending to study and shopping for camera crap and legos instead :) )

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i never take time off around the holidays for the simple fact that everyone takes vacation now. since i work in it support it makes my job very quiet. granted, i still have to come to work but my days are filled with sleeping at my desk, walking around town(since i work in uptown charlotte), and leaving a couple hours early but still get paid for a full day. i like to save my time for busier times of the year.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Because I started my new job this month, I am here. I don't mind actually, because it is easy and the commute is nothing.

I did want to order some bike crap, but it can wait. I am just jealous anyone with a day off anytime.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well we dont have the week "off" but alot of people take it off, that said i have been here all week. I would much rather be here when it is quite and take my vacation when it goes nuts around here than take it this week when it is cold and there is nothing to do but fight holiday crowds...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
splat said:
I always work this week by choice. it is the easiest week of the year to work

yes it is, and the most fun in my opinion. we close at three every day this week. everyone is in good spirits because we are slow and we are still in holiday mode. makes for a lousy pay check but its a nice break.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Looks like everyone who has posted is working this week. Hmm, no one uses RM on their vacation?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
Most bike companies are off this week, and I noticed the chip manufacturers around Silicon Valley are also closed.

I was wondering if that is a good or bad thing? People who have this week off, do you get 2 weeks off as well or just one now?
The bike industry not working as a BAD thing I HATE IT, I HATE SANTA CRUZ, THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE ARE BIGER RETARDS THAN I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
laura said:
yes it is, and the most fun in my opinion. we close at three every day this week. everyone is in good spirits because we are slow and we are still in holiday mode. makes for a lousy pay check but its a nice break.
my paycheck doesnt change :evil:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
SkaredShtles said:
I seriously doubt that could even be possible. :rolleyes:
Ok the shop I work at ordered 3 SC frames and 1 build kit, A V10(mine), a nomad, and a blur XC with an XO kit. We placed the order probably a little over a month ago now, and we get in contact with the guy from SC about 2 weeks ago wondering were the stuff is. Turns out they shiped NOTHING because they were wating for rims for the blur. Some one tells them to ship evorything but the rims and send the rims later, the guy from SC tells us it will ship the next day. Almost 2 weeks late guess what NO BIKES. and now it looks like the next day SC is going to be sending out any bike is the 6th.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tenchiro said:
Time off of work is never a bad thing.

Plus for those of us forced to work, the commute is so much nicer. At least around here. I am not looking forward to next week though. :dead:
Commute takes me half the time

:D

I think everyone on vacation should stay on vacation. Because come Tuesday morning (after observing new years on Monday) the commute is going to be bad (again):mumble:

I worked this week. So I might be bitter but the lack of any real traffic makes up for alot....atleast with me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sanjuro said:
Looks like everyone who has posted is working this week. Hmm, no one uses RM on their vacation?
we get the time off between xmas and NYE as automatic vacation...too bad i still had 7 days of vacation left this year i didn't use. :dead:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
They give us the week off, plus your regular time. After 10 years that nets me a whopping 5 weeks of vacation + standard holidays.

To get any better I'd need to transfer to our European headquarters.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have this week off, then start my new job on Monday. I would have started last week, but both my old company and my new company are close this week.

Next year it will be nice because I get 2 weeks vacation, 15 holidays, plus this week paid off the bat. Then after the first year, I go up to 3 weeks. Should be sweet.