Quantcast

XO brakes for DH? (Update w/riding impressions)

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
I did a search and couldn't find anything, so has anyone had any experience using Sram XO brakes for downhill. I'm running the last generation Mag Codes and like the power, I'm a bit a of panic braker. Just looking to upgrade and found a good deal on these. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
I did a search and couldn't find anything, so has anyone had any experience using Sram XO brakes for downhill. I'm running the last generation Mag Codes and like the power, I'm a bit a of panic braker. Just looking to upgrade and found a good deal on these. Let me know your thoughts.
I haven't tried the full X0 brake yet, but I've tried the x0 lever/code
Combo and it feels pretty amazing....

I doubt you'll be disappointed with the x0 unless you're a heavy rider.... If so... Maye try mixing your codes calipers with the x0 levers to save some weight

etabs

Chimp
Jan 22, 2010
Montreal, quebec, Canada
i am also curious to know how they hold up for DH aswell. i havent heard anything about lack of power, but it seems like the new lever designs it much weaker then the old one. I've seen a few pics of snapped xo levers so i think that would be my only concern for using them for DH

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
are they any different than the previous gen Elixr's? if they are similar, then for bigger riders, i didnt feel they had enough power for DH, IMO

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
been running elixir crs and 5s just to mix things up a bit and see whos got what. Im very impressed with the avids, they actually perform really well I was blown away by the 5s, picked em up off craigslist new front and rear complete $80 so I gave them a try...
A buddy hooked me up on the CRs for cheap so I figured Id beat on them as well.

Elixir 5 - In a pinch its a solid brake, super steep it holds well. Not perfect but damn good. Elixir CRs are impressive and light Im more than impressed with them, not enough to get rid of the ones but enough so that they make a great back up set and Id be comfortable rocking them in any conditions. Havent tried ice and snow yet but the rest they have performed great..

Point is Im sure the XOs will work well brakes have come pretty far in the last 3-4 years with design and modulation. There are alot of stuff that have upped the game a bit and we all benefit, if the XOs are a step up from the elixirs than Im sure they will work fine....

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
Thanks guys, I think I'll give them a try. Gonna get the set for $315 brand new off craigslist. I love the power of my Mag Codes but i seem to have a leak in the caliper of the rear brake. Anyone know of a rebuild kit for the codes?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Dudes, that French version of CRC is selling Ones for around $460 with rotors, adapters, shipping. Or just shop around...one of the small online US retainers charges $500 complete.

cshewmake7

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
Centennial, CO
I rode XO brakes on my downhill bike all year last year and was extremely satisfied. I was reluctant to put them on with the Code being available, but was immediately impressed. I did have to bleed them a few times throughout the season, but what brakes dont require that? The power was surprisingly strong and I thought the modulation stood out amongst other brakes I have used in the past (including Formulas). I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

cshewmake7

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
Centennial, CO
Agreed. Others as well. Bleeding several times in a season, no thanks.
Although I haven't used the newest Shimano line, I've had similar experiences with their brakes in the past. I've been fortunate enough to get to ride my bike virtually every day during the summer, and with that much ride time brakes are going to have to get bled. The XO's were very resilient though, and the level of maintenance they required was minimal.

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
Just wanted to give an update. I picked up those brakes and rode our local trail Sunday. Only got 5 runs in and not super steep but so far I really like them. As others stated they do need to be bled, but even with that they felt really good. Definitely noticed the lack of power compared to my Codes but I realized that I don't need that much power, they do have plenty of power for DH though. I tend to grab a lot of brake sometimes and the XO's worked well in the situations where I would do that. They modulate awesome, that stood out to me right off the bat. I can't wait to bleed them and ride some super steep stuff to see how they feel. Thanks for all your guys' input on this one.