Quantcast

XO double for DH?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by OB1, Mar 5, 2013.

1. OB1

OB1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    This may be dumb question, but I've never even touched a multi-ring crankset. So....my buddy wants to sell me his new Tru Vativ XO crankset with double rings. I only want to use it as a single for DH. Is there anything I need to know? Is it the same cranks, just spaced or something? Or is there some real difference I should know about? I did notice that the spindle end on the crank arm looks different. I think that's what made me wonder. Are the arms or spindle different? Cause now that I look...even the spider looks different...

#1 -   Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

Please register to disable this ad.

2. lovebunny

lovebunny can i lick your balls?

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 19
    do you really want to ride a super light carbon XC crankset on a DH bike? i wouldnt personally

#2 -   Mar 7, 2013
  3. OB1

OB1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    I've been racing/riding bicycles for about 30yrs. Although I've bent a ti spindle in bmx, I've never damaged or broke a crank arm. Have you? The "xc" labeling is the reason for this thread. Not an automatic deal breaker until I know if the arms andspindle are the same/different.

#3 -   Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. sundaydoug

sundaydoug Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    -1 / 44
    Depending on what size ring you want to run you may have to replace the 2x10 spider, which isn't a big deal since it's just 3 hex bolts that hold it onto the spindle. If you take that off you can even run a direct mount ring, which doesn't need a spider and mounts right to the spindle (see MRP Bling Ring).

Not sure of the difference between the regular X0 cranks versus the XO DH cranks other than spindle length.

#4 -   Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013