Quantcast

XO double for DH?

OB1

Monkey
This may be dumb question, but I've never even touched a multi-ring crankset. So....my buddy wants to sell me his new Tru Vativ XO crankset with double rings. I only want to use it as a single for DH. Is there anything I need to know? Is it the same cranks, just spaced or something? Or is there some real difference I should know about? I did notice that the spindle end on the crank arm looks different. I think that's what made me wonder. Are the arms or spindle different? Cause now that I look...even the spider looks different...

Last edited:

OB1

Monkey
I've been racing/riding bicycles for about 30yrs. Although I've bent a ti spindle in bmx, I've never damaged or broke a crank arm. Have you? The "xc" labeling is the reason for this thread. Not an automatic deal breaker until I know if the arms andspindle are the same/different.

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Depending on what size ring you want to run you may have to replace the 2x10 spider, which isn't a big deal since it's just 3 hex bolts that hold it onto the spindle. If you take that off you can even run a direct mount ring, which doesn't need a spider and mounts right to the spindle (see MRP Bling Ring).

Not sure of the difference between the regular X0 cranks versus the XO DH cranks other than spindle length.

Last edited: