Quantcast

XO vs. X9

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
So is their any real big difference besides weight saving. I have X9 on TR 450 right now. X9 rear shifter and X9 Short Cage rear derailleur. Thinking about upgrading to XO. Would it be worth it. Besides the few grams i would shed is there performance gain?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
There's a significant difference in the feel between the two. I have a set up of each on two of my bikes that I ride regularly. The difference is substaintial enough for me to justify it on my XC bike, but for downhill its a complete waste of money IMO. The X9 stuff is quite good. Spend your money elsewhere.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
One costs a lot. the other is outrageous.
They both shift the same.
I stopped buying them & have stuck with the X7 stuff in the last few years.
Unless you are trying to save a little weight, the cost doesn't add up.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I find there to be quite a difference in performance. But the big difference to me is that the XO Deraileure stays slop free for.........a long time. Where the X9 tends to develope play in short time. I have a 4 year XO on my trailbike that shifts as good as the day I bought. If you tend to not rip deraileures off then go for it.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I like my setup I run an x9 short rear der, and an x0 shifter, I used to run full x0 but had some pretty bad luck with that. Put it like this the brains of the system happen to be the shifter, a der is basically a spring with pulleys. To me the x9/x0 springs seem to be the same stiffness, thus with x0 shifters they feel the same. I would save yourself some money. And if you go with a short x9 der you get a poly cage too...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
haha yup i let matt borrow a "back-up worn" x-9 and won his class on it. granted there wasnt much pedaling till the end but it still did the job!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
One costs $100 and explodes if it touches a rock, the other costs twice as much and does the same thing.

Buy Saint.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If they'd bring the upshift lever adjustability from the X.0 to the X.9 I'd never buy X.0 again.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
One costs $100 and explodes if it touches a rock, the other costs twice as much and does the same thing.

Buy Saint.
Has anyone had luck rebuilding the XO's after contact with said rock? Always wondered if the DHr's who ran XO's were rebuilding them. I have pile of X9's that could easily be fixed if they were rebuild-able. Makes me wish I would of bucked up and payed the premium for the XO.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I run x0 shifter and x9 derail. no need to hang 250 out there to be ripped off on a rock.
I run just the opposite LOL X0 rear and X9 trig....

My X0 has taken harder hits than the X9 stuff has and has survived (carbon X0)

Yeah I replaced the carbon part as well as cogs and pins in my X0 It took a few too many hits :D.... Was still kick "N" it....Love X0 I have a X9 on now and ordered a X0 last week.... Been too lazy to slap one on and too busy not riding so it wasnt priority...
X9 will be back up in the bag incase the X0 gets too friendly with a rock.....

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I run x0 shifter and x9 derail. no need to hang 250 out there to be ripped off on a rock.
hahaha, that is what all the people that really ride run!
But: no X.0 rear derailleur = no love in the forums. ;) :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hahaha, that is what all the people that really ride run!
But: no X.0 rear derailleur = no love in the forums. ;) :D
Ive had better luck with the X0s, or maybe it was luck of the draw on those particular times with hte X9s... Its hard to tell both are quality and replicating a hit one took to another is near impossible so I guess both could have sheered....Either way theres not a huge difference between the 2 aside of cost, I like the tightness of X0 its crisp but the 09+ X9s have been great for response....

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I've found the x9s to not be as durable as the xos. Any time ive bought an xo ive never had to replace it. Theyve had countless battle scares but have always lasted without fail on the back end of the bike for aslong as ive had the bike. I even have one thats about 5 years old on my trail bike. Ive been through a few mech hangers and sets of jokey wheels but it still shifts perfectly. The x9s and x7s seem to be very soft in comparison and ive always ended up replacing them.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
A buddy of mine bought a 4x bike to make into a single speed jumper. It had less than 10 rides on it, and i told him i would give him 60$ for the xo short cage that didn't even have a scuff... he was stoked on it. Does this mean I'm going to hell?

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
^ no hell for you I would run an x0 if they were that cheap all of the time. Even at wholesale pricing I can't justify the X0

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
^ no hell for you I would run an x0 if they were that cheap all of the time. Even at wholesale pricing I can't justify the X0
you missed it... he's saying he basically stole it from his friend.

and no you are not going to hell, if he doesnt know what he sold ya, his fault! :thumb:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've been running SRAM since the days of Sachs and have found the biggest difference is in the shifter pods

the X-0 shifters are worth the money, they feel so crisp and solid (aluminium paddles) compared to even X-9, and unless you have a really weird crash, they should last for years

the rear derailleurs? sure, X-0 derailleurs are more durable than X-9 but for DH and FR where rear derailleurs get snapped off regularly, I have given up using even X-9 and currently use X-0 shifters and X-7 mid cage on my bikes

I've found this combo gives excellent, reliable shifting performance, and if the derailleur gets ruined, I am not crying like I would with X-0....

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I find there to be quite a difference in performance. But the big difference to me is that the XO Deraileure stays slop free for.........a long time. Where the X9 tends to develope play in short time. I have a 4 year XO on my trailbike that shifts as good as the day I bought. If you tend to not rip deraileures off then go for it.
I fully agree. I have a 3 year old XO that is tight and shifts with precision. The main spring snapped on me after year 1, but aside from that it has worked flawlessly.

In comparison my season old X9 is super sloppy. I used to be in the camp of staying away from the top end, but in this case I would advise you to spend the extra and pick up the XO.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I currently run x.9 derailleurs and shifters on two of my bikes. No problems and they work pretty well. I bought a X.0 derailleur two years ago and ripped it in half after maybe 8 rides. Given the cost I said never again and will stick with x.9 derailleurs from now on since they are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of x.0. I didn't notice much if any difference in performance between the x.9 and x.0 derailleur with an x.9 shifter. I may need to get an X.0 shifter now though, after reading this thread.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I fully agree. I have a 3 year old XO that is tight and shifts with precision. The main spring snapped on me after year 1, but aside from that it has worked flawlessly.

I'd agree about running X-O mechs on XC bike where mud and mileage will wear out the derailleur, rather than the big crashes common to DH and FR bikes

you also see this trait on Shimano rear derailleurs on XC bikes, the XTR will outlast SLX or even XT by some margin

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
anyone think its possible with the popularity of the X-9/X-0 groupo that SRAM will release a DH specific groupset? say like a beefier X-0 setup to compete against Saint? Or is X-9/X-0 enough competition?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I currently run x.9 derailleurs and shifters on two of my bikes. No problems and they work pretty well. I bought a X.0 derailleur two years ago and ripped it in half after maybe 8 rides. Given the cost I said never again and will stick with x.9 derailleurs from now on since they are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of x.0. I didn't notice much if any difference in performance between the x.9 and x.0 derailleur with an x.9 shifter. I may need to get an X.0 shifter now though, after reading this thread.
Out of curiosity did you look into rebuilding that XO? I am still wondering what experiences people have had with fixing XO rear mechs. Does the cost of the replacement parts make it not worth while, or do most failures destroy them past fixing?

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003

I'd agree about running X-O mechs on XC bike where mud and mileage will wear out the derailleur, rather than the big crashes common to DH and FR bikes

you also see this trait on Shimano rear derailleurs on XC bikes, the XTR will outlast SLX or even XT by some margin
I can't say what wore out the X9. I assumed it was just the rough nature of downhill. I also havent' torn off to many derailers in the last couple of years. I guess you have to look at how many derailers you trash and why.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i have noticed that when i ran a wide range cassette (11-32) it caused the derailler to develop slop where the main bolt attaches to the hanger. it was noticeable enough to affect shifting after a year of solid use. now that i have a road cassette (11-23; smaller jumps between gears) i've been running an x9 for the last 18 months with repeated bashings and it hasn't developed any issues, and i'd say on a whole i've ridden a lot more and harder this year than i did last year. i'm pretty amazed just how solid and reliable the shifting is, only thing i go through is cables every 3-6 months.

i recently rode a 2010 v10 at northstar with the full saint gruppo and i could not believe how terrible the shifting was and that it could barely hold a gear. utter crap. even my buddy who owns the bike commented how much nicer my x9 drivetrain was, he can't wait for the saint stuff to fail so he can at least get something that holds a gear.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Out of curiosity did you look into rebuilding that XO? I am still wondering what experiences people have had with fixing XO rear mechs. Does the cost of the replacement parts make it not worth while, or do most failures destroy them past fixing?
I just bought a new carbon cage and limit screws for my X.0 after taking a hit on the trail. Total cost about $85. I could have bought a complete X.9 derailleur for $15 less (I did actually, to keep as spares) So yes they are rebuildable, but whether it's worth it is up to you.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I just bought a new carbon cage and limit screws for my X.0 after taking a hit on the trail. Total cost about $85. I could have bought a complete X.9 derailleur for $15 less (I did actually, to keep as spares) So yes they are rebuildable, but whether it's worth it is up to you.

Cool good to know. BTW I think I BS'd a bit with you on the step down to right turn at the Arduum Challenge during Saturday practice. I think you were gave me some pointers on the line and were saying something about the Sun Peaks DH course. Thanks for the pix!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I didn't really, no. Basically the plastic "knuckle" part and lower carbon cage and one pulley were trashed and not fixable. Only the upper aluminum parts are still good. I figured to buy parts or get a crash replacement would cost more than an X.9 derailleur. And since I bought the derailleur on ebay for what seemed like a good deal, I did not have a warranty to fix it.