Quantcast

XO X9 X7 Derailleur Durability

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've been running Sram X9 short cage 9 SPEED rear derailleurs for years. The parallelogram and B pivots wear out and get sloppy after a year or so. Do XO pivots last longer? Do X7s last the same while being cheaper (I think there was a 9spd short cage)?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i never noticed a difference b/w the durability of the X7 or X9. i tend to break rear derailleurs a lot so i stick with X7's. i never bought a X0 for this reason

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
My experience with 9 speed X9 has been the same as yours, whereas my 9 speed X0 has had much longer pivot life in the areas you mentioned. That's the biggest difference between X9 and X0, ime (9 speed, I havent used the 10 speed stuff).

So, to answer your first question, yes.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
X9s and X7s tend to be pretty similar for me. X0s seem to last longer. I usually just buy what I can find on clearance, which means last years X0s or X9s.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Saint have to be the derailleur that develops play fastest. Having owned 3 Saints. One M801 and two M810's. 2 X9's and one X7. The difference is that SRAM mechs works fine pretty much until they fall into bits, Saint ghostshifts a lot. Derailleurs is the only thing SRAM does the best out of the two IMO.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think the M810 mech had a running update to reduce the play issue in the later generations.

From what I've seen the X7 and X9 pivots flog out very quickly, but the X0 seems to last much longer. I'd definitely spend the extra for the X0 if I was going to run sram.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
My old X0 outlasted 3 bikes before it assploded on a hard rock strike.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
shimano SAINT solves all problems
Cough gearbox does.
I thought X7s were way worse than X9(I'm talking the older models sorry), the X7s seem to have play as new even. I always ran XO myself but, and they lasted ages as stated. I destroyed them before they wore out, and they lasted ages in some cases. Although not sure if they got destroyed due to wear.
In short, go XO if you can. Although the Shimanno Clutch is a big reason to switch maybe.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Great question - was wondering this myself. I switched back to XT after getting tired of the slop in x9, and not anxious to drop 2x the $ for X0. It would have to last longer than 2x an X9 to make that worthwhile...

So far, so good w/ the XT. Shifting action is superior to the 9 speed X9 I was running for the last few years. I should probably try 10 speed X9 to get a more even comparison, though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
XO derailleurs last retardedly long. It's annoying actually because they're such a fvcking rip off. I've ended up with a few on completes that I've bought and the ti springs have broken before they quit shifting flawlessly. You should see the first generation XO I have on an SX trail. It's so mangled and crooked.....it has scabs......it points west at all times.......but still works perfectly. I've had a few other year models and the bikes wear out before the derailleurs.

Seriously. I hate those things. I'm like the beaten wife that can't leave.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
XO derailleurs last retardedly long. It's annoying actually because they're such a fvcking rip off. I've ended up with a few on completes that I've bought and the ti springs have broken before they quit shifting flawlessly. You should see the first generation XO I have on an SX trail. It's so mangled and crooked.....it has scabs......it points west at all times.......but still works perfectly. I've had a few other year models and the bikes wear out before the derailleurs.

Seriously. I hate those things. I'm like the beaten wife that can't leave.
The most epic survivor of a derailleur I've ever seen is actually the DuraAce on my DH bike. It was on my road bike for god knows how long, then found its way onto the DH rig. I've hit it hard enough to tear all the threads out of a derailleur hanger, smashed the piss out of it endlessly, and it still works awesome. I think it probably qualifies for miracle status.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Hmm, since 9spd probably means I'll look for closeouts on the internet instead of ordering out of QBP from the LBS, I guess I'll shop X9 & XO. Sounds like XO has better pivot life so I'd like to try one if the price difference is reasonable.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
God dammit. I hate when overpriced crap really does work better. That's not sarcastic......that genuinely annoys me.
Why is that? You prefer to wear out your derailleur every year so you can buy a new one that matches your new kit?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Yeah I've had the b-pivot bolt wear out on 2 x9s, replaced the b-pivot bolts and they are fine again. I have a x7 on the dh bike, staying on there until it needs replacing, then I'll throw on one of my x9s..

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I currently have a X0 dh on my rig. Thinking about a backup X9 or a Zee plus Shifter which costs roughly the same. What would you do?