Quantcast

XP Pro license question

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
So....my laptop died and I'm going to buy a new one. I have the full version of XP Pro from the dead laptop and I was going to buy a $500-$600 laptop, uninstall Vista, and run XP instead....can I do this? Will Microsoft b!tch when it goes to validate the license? I don't know how their authentication thing works.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If the new laptop has Vista Business or Ultimate licensing you can legally downgrade to XP Pro with any CD you want. Some CD you might have to phone Microsoft, but it is legal and defined under MS licensing terms.

Microsoft said:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/3/d23b9533-169d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc

Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Professional?

Yes. OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Provided it was a full copy of XP on the original disc I think you can install it on 2 machines anyway.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Provided it was a full copy of XP on the original disc I think you can copy it to 2 machines anyway.
Up to two CPU sockets on the motherboard, not two machines. He would be starting with a copy of Vista licensed to that laptop. His old copy sounds like an OEM CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx

Microsoft said:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home are not affected by this policy as they are licensed per installation and not per processor. Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor. Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm still a little confused, it is an OEM CD....do I have to "downgrade" or can I just wipe the drive and install XP?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It doesn't matter what O/S the machine starts with.

He owns an XP license. He can use it on one computer. Any computer.
Nope. OEM licenses are non-transferable. A vast majority of PC come with OEM copy. Unless he bought it retail, its unlikely.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I stand corrected.
Well he can still use it to legally downgrade his Vista installation if its an OEM or Retail copy of Business or Ultimate edition...

MS policy on OEM OS:

Microsoft said:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/4/4/14441b37-78ff-4b60-b726-6d91f81d3fa7/os_reqs.doc
The OEM license for the Windows operating system for desktop PCs is “tied” to the device on which it is preinstalled. Accordingly, customers may not reassign it to a different device.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I should restate my question, I'm not so much concerned about being legal...what I don't want is for the copy to have problems updating because Microsoft deems it counterfeit

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And order a fvcking pizza and fire up the iPod, you're gonna be there for awhile.

:D
Nope - SP3 is out. It took me literally about 2 minutes to download that. Not many new updates since then. Slipstream the update from another computer using your original CD and its even easier going (course slipstreaming is too hard for most end users)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Nope - SP3 is out. It took me literally about 2 minutes to download that. Not many new updates since then. Slipstream the update from another computer using your original CD and its even easier going (course slipstreaming is too hard for most end users)
Downloading a service pack over 300mb then slip streaming then installing still takes for fvcking ever for MOST users.

Don't argue. I'm right. Just accept it.

:banana:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Don't argue. I'm right. Just accept it.

:banana:
You are wrong. End users don't need to slipstream so its a 2 minute download if you have a decent connection. My download at home (not work) was just over 2 minutes.

SS already preconfirmed it, H8R = clueless :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ire:

Please time how long it takes you to install XP Pro and all the updates, then let us know.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You are wrong. End users don't need to slipstream so its a 2 minute download if you have a decent connection. My download at home (not work) was just over 2 minutes.

SS already preconfirmed it, H8R = clueless :D
I have installed XP Pro on a quite a few different machines and installed SP2 and SP3 as well. The whole process, slipstreamed or not takes a long time, AS IN WAY TOO FVCKING LONG.

Stop being syadasti for just a second and agree with me and everything will be fine.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have installed XP Pro on a quite a few different machines and installed SP2 and SP3 as well. The whole process, slipstreamed or not takes a long time, AS IN WAY TOO FVCKING LONG.
You are doing it wrong then. Small environment - setup a box as a WSUS server, don't use your Internet connection for each machine if you got a small pipe or just keep a file server with the updates if you can't handle WSUS (you obviously know about slipstreaming).

Medium to large just using ghost (old school), Acronis True Image, etc keep standard hardware for high speed turnaround...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ire:

Please time how long it takes you to install XP Pro and all the updates, then let us know.
Setup a new Tiger machine and patch it right now and it will take longer than XP.

If you told him to switch to Ubuntu - DL is twice as large as the XP SP3 from slower non-commercial servers, plus he has to burn it before he even has a installation CD ready.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You are doing it wrong then. Small environment - setup a box as a WSUS server, don't use your Internet connection for each machine if you got a small pipe or just keep a file server with the updates if you can't handle WSUS.

Medium to large just using ghost (old school), Acronis True Image, etc keep standard hardware for high speed turnaround...
I'm talking about incidental installs. Like ONE machine at ONE time, as in Ire's case.

If one was distributing updates across more than a single machine sitting on a desk in someone's house your above post would apply.

STFU YOU GEEK.

:banghead:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm talking about incidental installs. Like ONE machine at ONE time, as in Ire's case.

If one was distributing updates across more than a single machine sitting on a desk in someone's house your above post would apply.

STFU YOU GEEK.

:banghead:
Its job for money. You seem to be using Ubuntu for fun GEEK.

As I said 2 minutes to DL SP3 - what do you know, getting 2.5MB a second for the admin download (the microsoft update version is smaller and depends on which CD you have):

But I really shouldn't be feeding the fat obese monkeys

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW -

Now that I screwed around with it a bit, paint.net is pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

They need to implement a by-color selection function though, maybe it's an add-on via plugins. Pretty serious omission there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BTW -

Now that I screwed around with it a bit, paint.net is pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

They need to implement a by-color selection function though, maybe it's an add-on via plugins. Pretty serious omission there.
Found with google in two seconds:huh:

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/MagicWand.html

See also:

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/KeyboardMouseCommands.html

Under Magic Wand Tool

Bike content in the help page :busted:

At least I can't see if you are talking with your mouth filled with food while you ask your question like the specimen I was dealing with today.

Some low level cross eye freak women was trying to make me kill her today with all sorts of stupid questions and suggestions that something else changed when I swapped out her failed HDD. She kept asking about her files she stored locally on the old HDD. Users are supposed to store their files on the network.

I took apart her old HDD and removed the platter and came back to her with it. Told her I have her files and handed her the platter. She was very confused and perturbed:brows:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
People don't like change. Course you lied before so you are probably actually liking it a lot:banana:

I don't mind trying new software at all. I'll install just about anything. I think I've installed an tried just about every sound/vid/pic/CAD/office/graphic/browser application that I could find in Ubuntu.

I do prefer the GIMP/PS selection tools....so far. If they made a Linux version of paint.net I might even get deeper into it and see if I start to prefer it.

In the meantime I'll use it at work for misc crap.