Quantcast

Xpost: Swept bar question

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Sorry for the cross post, but I know a lot of 2-niner guys ride funky swept bars. My thumbs are killing me after switching to a bar with 11 degree sweep. [post]2149672[/post]

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hmmm.....maybe a longer stem could help? I've got a 120mm FSA in similar rise to your Thomson you could try if you wanted to. Just cover shipping and if you didn't like it or wanted to return it, I'd cover shipping to send it back to me.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Thanks Mark. Right after I posted a guy I ride with called with the same suggestion. I think I'll raid his parts bin before I take you up on your offer.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
BikeGeek said:
Thanks Mark. Right after I posted a guy I ride with called with the same suggestion. I think I'll raid his parts bin before I take you up on your offer.
Tim, I might have a stem laying around you can try as well. And I've got plenty of riser bars if you just want to swap the bar out for a change. Have you thought about the Mary's or Jones'?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
peter6061 said:
Tim, I might have a stem laying around you can try as well. And I've got plenty of riser bars if you just want to swap the bar out for a change. Have you thought about the Mary's or Jones'?
Thanks Peter. I know I have a 110 around here, but if I need to sample longer stems I'll see what you have.

I thought about the Mary's when I was building this thing, but didn't want to go that funky. I don't think I'd like that much sweep. The Salsa bar has the same sweep as a riser that I like so I thought it was a good choice. I think the problem is that I don't have the cockpit dialed in yet. The geometry feels so different than any of my other bikes. On paper, the numbers look the same, but on wheels things seem to be fitting a bit differently.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BG - a guy on another forum mentioned running bars higher on a ridid single speed than one would on a front suspension bike. His point was that it takes the stress off the wrists and hands by having the bars up high like that. Do you think that holds any water??

BTW - what's the "feel" like with the On One fork?? Is it fairly compliant??

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
BG - a guy on another forum mentioned running bars higher on a ridid single speed than one would on a front suspension bike. His point was that it takes the stress off the wrists and hands by having the bars up high like that. Do you think that holds any water??
I guess it makes sense. It would take some of the weight off of your hands.

BTW - what's the "feel" like with the On One fork?? Is it fairly compliant??
Having only owned Surly forks in the past, the On-One was freaky at first. I found myself constantly checking that my headset wasn't loose. Then I started thinking it was cracked because I didn't know a rigid fork could be that compliant. It's strange looking down during a ride and seeing the fork flex.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Swept bars need a precise tilt adjustment. The better you get the tilt, the more sweep you can handle.
Myself, I love the 38º Mary bars for geared XC riding, and the 45º Jones H-Bars for singlespeeding (wider).
Also for logging miles on a fat slick tire 29"er, 38 for me rocks, I found cheap trekking bars that only required a 30-40mm longer stem, awesome on a Fisher with long top tube.

Sweep may also call for better fitting grips. My own favorites are the black Dimension Cork grips with close ends, as you won't run barends anyway. The ends add about 1" to the total bar width also, the thick edges offer extra support and a way to grip the bar super-wide with the hand overlapping.

11º is the least sweep I'll ride, and only for short lame XC races with my weightweenie racer. For all else, a bulky swept bar is well worth it. Heck, I'd ride better on the weightweenie racer with heavy bars, but than it would impress competitors less when they lift my bike up :-)

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
higher the bars, makes sense, i think the lower you sit, the more it hurts your back and your ass