Quantcast

xt 778 15mm wheelset for 4x/ds all around riding?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
They'll be fine. The XTR wheels are plenty strong for Slalom already...
What about user servicability? I'm tempted by a set of XT 776 for my 4x/slalom bike, but what if you bust a spoke. Easily replacable? A bit like a set Mavic Ksyrium. Nice wheels but you don't want to bust a spoke before a race and have to send them in...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
They aren't "normal" straight pull spokes. You don't need to get the spokes from Shimano, per se, but you do need to make sure you have a few hanging around on a road trip. For backup spokes you can simply thread both ends of a 2.0 spoke if you have a spoke cutter at your shop.
The spokes are 270mm and 272mm long, are available individually from your Shimano dealer, or you can buy a complete spare spoke/nipple/hub nut kits from Shimano as well. Replacing the spokes is darn quick. The things are a great design as far as it goes for non-standard wheels. It's the rims that make them worthwhile. Extremely strong and well designed extrusions that come in at a great weight while offering tubeless compatibility if you are so inclined.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
They aren't "normal" straight pull spokes. You don't need to get the spokes from Shimano, per se, but you do need to make sure you have a few hanging around on a road trip. For backup spokes you can simply thread both ends of a 2.0 spoke if you have a spoke cutter at your shop.
The spokes are 270mm and 272mm long, are available individually from your Shimano dealer, or you can buy a complete spare spoke/nipple/hub nut kits from Shimano as well. Replacing the spokes is darn quick. The things are a great design as far as it goes for non-standard wheels. It's the rims that make them worthwhile. Extremely strong and well designed extrusions that come in at a great weight while offering tubeless compatibility if you are so inclined.
Thanks for the info!:thumb:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have heard of freehub issues w/ these wheels (you'll come across complaints on MTBR), that's what dissuaded me from getting them. If they've been revised maybe I'll give them a shot.