Quantcast

XT and Hayes

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
no. the shimano hydraulic brakes are mineral oil and the hayes are DOT fluid. and even if they were both the same fluid type they probably wouldn't match up anyways.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Im not sure about matching them up, but as far as running oils you can do it. Ive been running mineral oil in my mis matched system (grimeca DOT caliper and shimano Mineral Oil hose and lever) for a year now and havent had any problems. Just dont run DOT fluid, every one seems to agree that DOT fluid corodes mineral oil seals.

You might be able to use a Hayes hose and then try to get a shimano olive assembly in there. Good Luck.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I recall a thread about this before and something about different lever throw/fluid displacement being a problem as well as the issue of different fluid.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
OGRipper said:
I recall a thread about this before and something about different lever throw/fluid displacement being a problem as well as the issue of different fluid.

Yeah, this might be a factor. Let us know if it works, it certantly is worth a shot if you've already got the lever and caliper. Although, a new Hayes lever shouldnt run you that much.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Actually I had the chance to buy some Hayes calipers, but now I think I will pass. I thought there might be a mating problem and thanks to you guys, I found out I was right..... Thanks!