Quantcast

XT Disc Brakes + EBC-HH pads?

Jan 23, 2002
In the sport-bike world, EBC HH pads are considered some of the greatest pads you can buy..

does anyone have any experience with them and the shimano XT discs?

I know the shimano pads are already sintered metal, but I'd like to get a little more stopping power from them. I've bled the things to death, centered the caliper on the holder a dozen times, and just put new pads on the front (shimano stock). Big difference, but still not quite as much as I'd like.

A

a13x

Hey man! welcome to ridemonkey.

Personally I dunno too much about aftermarket pads in any sort of discbrake. I used a kid's XT discs on his downhill bike this summer and they were the touchiest and most powerful discs I'd ever felt (8" rotors too). I'm pretty sure he had the stock pads.

Sorry I couldn't help more, this was more of a 'hi' post ;) Cya in the DH/DS forum.

-alex

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by a13x
Hey man! welcome to ridemonkey.

Personally I dunno too much about aftermarket pads in any sort of discbrake. I used a kid's XT discs on his downhill bike this summer and they were the touchiest and most powerful discs I'd ever felt (8" rotors too). I'm pretty sure he had the stock pads.

Sorry I couldn't help more, this was more of a 'hi' post ;) Cya in the DH/DS forum.

-alex
I've only got the 6" rotors, and they're pretty darn powerful once warm. I don't know if I got a bad rotor or what, but when they're cold, they are only 1.5x more powerful than rim brakes :) Rub a little dirt in them, get them a little warm, and wow :eek: do they stop!

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by schmngsupplnter

I've only got the 6" rotors, and they're pretty darn powerful once warm. I don't know if I got a bad rotor or what, but when they're cold, they are only 1.5x more powerful than rim brakes :) Rub a little dirt in them, get them a little warm, and wow :eek: do they stop!
Thats about the exact experience i've had. I run 8" Hayes rotor and a 203mm GRC rotor with Grimeca's now and they are very powerful without the on/off feel of Hayes. I have not changed from stock pads on my Grimeca's, but I did try the EBC's on my Hayes and noticed very little difference between stock. I really think the rotors are the problem, 6" stock rotors have no intial bite, but with Hayes or GRC (http://www.grcomponents.com/home.htm) rotors there is great bite and great modulation.

On another note I have EBC Greens on my Acura Integra and love them, they were a very big improvement over my stock pads.

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by ssaddict

Thats about the exact experience i've had. I run 8" Hayes rotor and a 203mm GRC rotor with Grimeca's now and they are very powerful without the on/off feel of Hayes. I have not changed from stock pads on my Grimeca's, but I did try the EBC's on my Hayes and noticed very little difference between stock. I really think the rotors are the problem, 6" stock rotors have no intial bite, but with Hayes or GRC (http://www.grcomponents.com/home.htm) rotors there is great bite and great modulation.

On another note I have EBC Greens on my Acura Integra and love them, they were a very big improvement over my stock pads.
Hmm, good to know i'm not a total freak :)

The really weird thing is that I split a f/r combo set with a friend (i already had the front and the set was cheaper than what i paid for the front alone from the bike shop :think: ) and his front works and feels better than mine does. :( Makes me want to swap the front and rear rotors to see if my rear rotor is softer.

I do like how well they modulate. the hayes are damn powerful (and even the avid mechanical), but they just don't feel good.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
His are probably just broken in better or not as glazed over. If you really want braking power though order a 8" disk and adapter (if possible). If you can't do that maybe give a 6" Hayes disk a try? I think the real problem with Shimano/Grimeca is the design of the rotor with only little holes drilled in it. Why only little holes? It doesn't seem as if the pad would dig in as well as a rotor with a larger holes machined into it.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The holes have nothing to do with adding friction. They are for cooling and perhaps an outlet for mud and junk. Too many holes of course and the swept area decreases along with your braking power.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by oldfart
The holes have nothing to do with adding friction. They are for cooling and perhaps an outlet for mud and junk. Too many holes of course and the swept area decreases along with your braking power. [/QUOTE

Your right, but when your mix Hayes rotors and Shimano/Grimeca calipers, the pad's actually bite into the much larger holes. The one time I really over heated my brakes, the pads got so glazed I could actually feel the pad edge bite into each hole at the lever. It made an audible tick, tick ,tick sound as I applied the brakes. Its hard to explain but the pad only contacts about 1/2-3/4 of the surface area of the rotor.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
The "holes" that you guys are talking about ar called cross drilling. They are heavily used in hi/po brake systems cuz when you have high heat friction a layer of gas develops between the pad and the rotor, thereby causing a loss of braking power. Cross Drilling or slotted rotors are designed that way to vent the gasses. So the pads don't "bite" into the holes...if they did you'd be replacing pads after every run. You don't neccesarily need big holes to vent the gas. Actually bigger holes will make you lose braking power cuz you lose that surface area for braking. Plus if you look at hi/po auto or moto disks they are all drilled similar to the Shimano ones with the small holes rather than the hayes rotors.

Jan 27, 2002
San Antonio, TX
I am running XT discs with EBC green pads. They are a HUGE improvement over the stock Shimano pads. I have run them everywhere from XC to a DH course and they work great. I am a coward and rode the heck outta them on the DH course and they stayed solid all the way! The course I rode them on is in Japan, about 45 minutes top to bottom and I rode back to back runs all day long. The stoppers held up with NO FADE.
Some other points about the EBC pads is they require little to no break in (unlike the stock pads). They do not howl when wet (unlike the stock pads). And they offer better modulation and more power.
I don't know too much about the HH/Gold pads..... I am very satisfied with the Green pads and will definatelly buy them again when this set wears out.
Hope that helps......

Attachments