Quantcast

XT four pots, how do they compare to todays brakes? and a good choice for a RaceLink?

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Im building up an Avy fork equipped Brooklyn RaceLink-and I weigh 90kg's-200lbs approx.
Im looking for something that will slow my weighty bike down in the mud and slop of Ft William thru to the sun and mountains of France.

Being from the UK Hope brakes are the obvious choice especially the Moto V's. I've run Hope stuff for years without problems, however I just fancied a change.

Also on the list are Magura Gustav's allthough the weight penalty is putting me off slightly.

Formula's for some reason arn't really ticking the box for me-allthough I acknowledge that they are good brakes.

I am being drawn towards the older Shimano M775/four pot brakes set up in a 203mm size. I have found some NOS in a UK shop and was wondering if they still cut the mustard nowadays compared to the newer brakes on the market.

I've read the reviews on MTBR and searched on here and Im just wondering if the rave reviews are from people comparing the shimano's to other brakes at the time or from people's rose tinted views of them. How do they compare in power, and modulation to todays generation of brakes?

Cheers.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
they are like m4's with that slight spongy feel that mineral oil gives. they may be old but there haven't been any giant leaps in brake technology in the past few years, only changes in design.

bottom line, they are awesome. the only thing i hate is how you cant cut the stock hoses to length, you can use aftermarket stuff like goodridge tho.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
I have both saints and XT 4 pots.
The saints have slightly more power and a slightly better feel.
Saints are also lighter.
XTs are nice brakes but saints are cheap and are better in every respect.
I also have codes which are even more powerful but are heavier.

I would go for Formulas, Saints or Maguras over The XT 4pots.

The XTs work well and are very reliable but IMO there is a small advantage in going with a newer system.

Also the older steel braided hoses on the XT M755s are very poor, its worth upgrading those to resin or goodridge hoses.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
they are like m4's with that slight spongy feel that mineral oil gives. they may be old but there haven't been any giant leaps in brake technology in the past few years, only changes in design.

bottom line, they are awesome. the only thing i hate is how you cant cut the stock hoses to length, you can use aftermarket stuff like goodridge tho.

The older XTs work way better with the newer style line. With the new lines the 4 pots lose the spongy feel and don't fade near as much.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
The older XTs work way better with the newer style line. With the new lines the 4 pots lose the spongy feel and don't fade near as much.
didn't know about the fading issues. but that just made me realize that the newer shimanos are much less spongy. a little light bulb lit up in my head. lol you are talking about the steel braided lines right?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've had 4 sets of 755/56 4 Pots, and must say they hold their own against most of the current brakes. I personally liked the power better than my 765's. I just purchased the new XT's 775 because I have heard only great things about them.

The 755's aren't as strong as my Codes, but the aren't as heavy and pads are very easy to find cheap...I just wish they came with post mounts, IS shimmying sucks...

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Shimming the A-mount is the only reason I didn't go with the 4pots awhile back. I have the new M770 era XTs and I must say they are quite nice.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I'm running the 4 pots with the newer style levers and I woulden't trade them for any other brakes out there, I think they are the best brakes and they have more power than my friends saints.

How do the new 775 XT Servowave brakes compare to the older 2 pot XT/Saints?

I am running saints/XTs on all bikes, and while they are great, I have felt Juicy's that have felt more powerful.

I am keen on the new 775 XTs, but don't want to waste money upgrading for little advantage.

Primary use will be DH, so power and modulation are key.

Thanks,

JT