Quantcast

xt or xtr

dosterman

Chimp
Aug 2, 2005
I am in the process of upgrading components on my bianchi denali from lx to xt or xtr. Should I redo the lx or upgrade to xt or xtr. Is the performance and weight savings worth the extra money.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dosterman said:
I am in the process of upgrading components on my bianchi denali from lx to xt or xtr. Should I redo the lx or upgrade to xt or xtr. Is the performance and weight savings worth the extra money.
Only you can determine that.

Me? I wouldn't bother unless I was getting older XT stuff cheap.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
No question one needs to determine if the frame is worth a parts upgrade. The simple reason being, buying parts individualy is way more expensive than when you buy a complete group on a bike. An the frame is the heart of the bike, so yeah, it might make more sense to invest in a frame rather than parts, but if the parts are toast anyway, it might make more sense to sell it off for as much as you can get and just get a new bike.

Velonews did an interesting comparison of xt v xtr and Shimano people actualy made recommendations as if they were a privateer. They would use xtr rear derailleur, cassette, hubs chain and calipers, xt shifters and cranks and lx front derailleur. It was the best combo of cost v weight v durability. They thought that XTR bearings were a worthy cost, but the other xt parts were nearly the same weight and nearly as tough but far cheaper.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
if your lx parts are worn out replace other wise save. I don't think xtr is worth it, same with sram x0, too expensive, if you are racing weight is more important, if you crash and break stuff though $$$.

I use sram x9 stuff now, I like it better.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I run an XTR drivetrain on one bike (Got it free, long story) and XT on the other. The XTR shifts beautifully, and I anticipate it will last a long time. The XT stuff also works beautifully, and it is old, about 5 and 8 years, respectivelly. For the money, go LX/XT. If you have a bunch of disposable jing, go XTR. Or even the blingy SRAM stuff. That will be my next move.

Isitinya

Chimp
Aug 18, 2005
SoCal
Personally, I would go with XT seeing as this years' XT is basically last years and the year befores xtr. I have always been one for buying what I need not what I 'think' I need. For me XTR was always too pricey and only really worth it for racing or those with enough disposable income not too worry about it.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Just as others said, save money and get the XT stuff. I have found it to be the most reliable for me over time. The few problems I have had (emphasis on few) have all been associated with user error. I know people crap on Shimano all the time. For me, the stuff just works. No need to fix it.

What are you trying to acheive with the upgrade? Are the parts just worn or are you having upgradeitis? Either way, XT is good. Plus if you do spring for another frame down the road, the XT stuff will look good on the new frame.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
His point is that the most bang for the buck would likely come from a frame upgrade.

XT & XTR upgrades can be *pricey*.........
The Denali is a decent steel XC frame. Keep it.

Go XT.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I vote for XT. My two bikes are XT (one bike has LX cranks) both 9 speed, one has v-brakes and the other has hydraulics. One has the standard thumb shifters and the other has integrated shifting - I have no preference for either. I've never had a durability or performance issue; I would assume that and XTR rear derrailure would be smother shifting but, I cant see the point unless you are running a really tight cassette and are racing XC.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i cant speak to the brand new xtr, but on my hardtail ive got xtr gear that ive been running since 96 (front/rear hub, rear dr, combo shifter pod/brakes)!! the first year that the v brakes and gun metal grey stuff came out and it still works like a champ

on my xc squish ive also got xtr but its circa 01 and still running strong

but if your one to break gear alot i would definitely go xt vs xtr. the only reason ive got xtr is a 'shop' hook up...

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Me, I vote XT for the shifting, rear der and cranks. I like keeping the LX front der suggestion. And if you are doing discs, definately the XT's - less squeel and the calipers are more easily adjusted (no shims like on XTR). Hubs, if you want to do Shimano, XTR's due to the weight......Cassette I'd do an XT. The XTR's are waaaay too much $$$....

Am I the only one that thinks that cassettes way overpriced these days? I mean c'mon $150+ for XTR and Dura-Ace 10 sp cassettes? :eek:

You'd think they were made out of petroleum (gasoline)....... :rolleyes: