Quantcast

XT Sifter indicator not working

RadRacer84

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
first of all God Bless those who have lost a loved one today.
Second, my Xt sifter for the chain rings is stuck in the largest setting. My shifter works but the indecator for which gear i am in doesn't work. Is ther anyway to get that to work again?

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Inside the shifter pod is a small spring attached to the indicator. As you shift the spring increases pressure and moves the indicator. The best way to fix this is to go to your lbs and ask if they have a non fucntional shifter they would unload. If you look at the pod carefully you will notice that you can remove the indicator mechanism in one peice. (Depending on what year you have, this may not work.) Take the entire housing off your pod and replace. Your done. The other way is to open the housing and put everything back together but this is a major pain in the a$$.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Uh, you actually look at that thing?

Again, no offense meant, but I noticed on pricepoint.com awhile back that xt shifter pods without the indicator (this was stated as a clarification... eg. Please Note) were way cheaper than ones with.

I had to laught cuz who the f__k cares if it's got one or not? Looking to see what gear I'm in would probably make me fly off a cliff. I don't needs to look.
:D

RadRacer84

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
this is true that it isn't needed and I can tell which gear i am in just by feal but i have them so i would like to have them work even if I don't look at them

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
except at night when its hard to see which rear cog you're in even with a helmet light. Frnt is no biggy but Since they are on my bike, I got used to using them. Now I like them.