Quantcast

Xt Vs. Saint Cranks?

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
I can't decide between either crank. I know the Xt are lighter, but not as burly and I wouldn't have to grind my gamut bash to gwt them to fit. I am only 150 pounds and ride pretty smooth, but I ride rocky Northstar at least 20times a season so that makes think the saints would be better. What do you think?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Do you bash or clip those rocks often?

If yes - get saints

If you say to yourself "how often is often?" - get saints

If your pedals and crank arm ends are pretty clean - XT will be ok

If your still not sure - dont forget about SLX, but I havn't used them

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How many crank failures have any of you seen? I've seen one or two bent spiders but no bend or broken arms. The only broken BB axles I've seen were square tapers.
I'm 165lbs and have used the same Raceface ISIS DH BB with Turbine XC cranks on my downhill bikes since 2001. The bearings are a little loose feeling but the cranks are fine.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Get the SLX with the steel inserts. They are just barely heavier than XT. I've seen plenty of XT's with stripped out pedal threads. At 150lbs these will be plenty strong enough for you. I weigh 190 and haven't had a problem so far (got them toward end of last season though).

You'll probably have to grind down the granny bolt holes to get it to clear the gamut iscg bolts, that's what I had to do for mine.