Quantcast

XT Vs. Saint Cranks?

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
I can't decide between either crank. I know the Xt are lighter, but not as burly and I wouldn't have to grind my gamut bash to gwt them to fit. I am only 150 pounds and ride pretty smooth, but I ride rocky Northstar at least 20times a season so that makes think the saints would be better. What do you think?

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
yeah its no big deal grinding down the bashguard, if you do it neatly enough, you wouldn't even notice it!
I had to do it to fit my P30 to my bike with saint cranks.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
I've got 2 sets of XT cranks. One on my trail bike and one on my dh bike. The ones on my trail bike I've had for 3 years with zero issues. I've had the ones on my dh bike for a year with zero issues too. Best cranks ever IMO.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
IMO XT cranks aren't designed to take DH abuse. In the past 3 years I've bent about 3 pairs of XT cranks and recently bent some XTR's within a month of riding....and that's on my AM bike, not even DH.

The nice thing about Shimano is that they have great customer service - they took care of me each time (I went through my bike shop). I just recently sent my XTR's in - so no word on those yet.

like many suggested here - get SLX or Saint cranks

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Luc, thats far too intelligent and theres way too much common sense there. Instead, could you please post about making Red cranks work on a 100mm BB shell by dremelling away 21% of the bike and crank interface, but make sure to complain about the difference between 172.5 and 170.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
IMO XT cranks aren't designed to take DH abuse. In the past 3 years I've bent about 3 pairs of XT cranks and recently bent some XTR's within a month of riding....and that's on my AM bike, not even DH.

The nice thing about Shimano is that they have great customer service - they took care of me each time (I went through my bike shop). I just recently sent my XTR's in - so no word on those yet.

like many suggested here - get SLX or Saint cranks
I thought shimano never warantied cranks. I bent a set of hones and they wouldn't waranty them for me.

Another vote here for slx. That's what I got myself at the end of last year.

01yz125

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
i raced the whole northstar series on my bike with 165mm XT cranks. They smashed a few times and are still strait. i wiegh 160 pounds so im fairly light. if your smooth you can get away with it otherwise i would suggest the SLX. those cranks are RAD

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
i raced the whole northstar series on my bike with 165mm XT cranks. They smashed a few times and are still strait. i wiegh 160 pounds so im fairly light. if your smooth you can get away with it otherwise i would suggest the SLX. those cranks are RAD
I'm 155lbs and far from being a hack....downtime sucks especially if you ride a lot.

for a DH bike I would not run anything other than Saints, SLX or other DH crank offerings. but that's just me..

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
for reference, from weight weenies:
SLX FC-M660 2009 175 mm 22/32/44 886 g
XT FC-M770 2008 175 mm 22/32/44 859 g
Saint FC-810 2009 170 mm 22/36/Bash 1090 g (claimed, not on WW)

All for a standard 68/73