Quantcast

Xterra owners...

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I have a 2000. got it from new, and it now has 170000 miles on it. I love this truck, but i have had some issues. I blew a transmission at 70000 miles and it was not under warranty. I have some leaks at the exaust manifold that my mechanic claims it will cost more to fix than the truck is now worth. I am other wise happy with it and I would buy another one. It workd exactly for what I need.lots of trips to lots of riding spots carrying 3 dh bikes and a ton of gear. It isnt the fastestmoving vehical, but it gets me there!!!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
I love my '03 Xterra with the only complaint being that it is a bit underpowered. And for those complaints about gas guzzling, etc., I have two black labs so "downsizing" from an SUV really isn't an option for me. My previous vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler so I have zero complaints about ride quality considering what I was used to driving. The 4WD has worked very well in the limited off road its been exposed to but has been more than adequate for snowy New England conditions. Plenty roomy for me, too.

That being said, I was at the dealer last night and I am definitely lusting over the '05 and later models. Going to try (maybe, maybe) to flip the loan on my current X and get into an '05 if at all possible. No interest whatsoever in changing make or model - just turn back the mileage and know that the '05's are dramatically improved in terms of hp. I also want to try and get a standard and like the new "covered" gear boxes. Oh yeah, and that illusive new car smell, too (especially considering the aforementioned labs!).

Overall, I'm nothing but happy with my experience thus far - I also have been fortunate to be in the hands of Marlboro Nissan here in MA and they have been fantastic in terms of service all around. :thumb:

Good luck!
Jen

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Have you looked at the new Pathfinders? It is a much closer match to an Explorer as far as interior space, options, etc. I took some extended test drives in the '05 Pathfinder, 4Runner, and Explorer and would have picked the 4Runner hands down (decided to keep my Tacoma another year). I realize the Explorer is updated for '06 but I value quality, reliability, and resale value which puts both the Nissan and Toyota ahead of the Ford.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MtnBikerChk said:
I can't tell are you serious or kidding?

If you're serious, I'm not convinced yet.....

serious, the xterra was on my list of 2 when I was looking last year.

but when I heard $9K off sticker, I went w/the colorado

Mike B. said:
Have you looked at the new Pathfinders? It is a much closer match to an Explorer as far as interior space, options, etc. I took some extended test drives in the '05 Pathfinder, 4Runner, and Explorer and would have picked the 4Runner hands down (decided to keep my Tacoma another year). I realize the Explorer is updated for '06 but I value quality, reliability, and resale value which puts both the Nissan and Toyota ahead of the Ford.

I think I would need an insider deal to afford the Pathfinder but in terms of pure WANT - oh yeah, that's over the xterra :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The new 06's have 245hp so being under powered isnt' an issue anymore.

I've had a few things fixed on my Xterra since I bought it used 3yrs ago. However it has only required a small amount of maintanace.

It's great in the snow, I love driving around when nobody else is on the roads.

As far as cabin space I could do for a little more room for passangers in the back and additional space in the trunk would rock. Although my fiancee's got pleanty of junk in her trunk to cover both our cars.

Anyway I've been pretty happy with my 2000 Xterra. It's been good and as reliable as any other foreign made car.
If you have specific questions PM me. Most of the thing I've had to fix on my X I've done myself so I have a pretty good knowledge of the vehicle.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
teamkranzelbike said:
I have a 2000. got it from new, and it now has 170000 miles on it. I love this truck, but i have had some issues. I blew a transmission at 70000 miles and it was not under warranty. I have some leaks at the exaust manifold that my mechanic claims it will cost more to fix than the truck is now worth. I am other wise happy with it and I would buy another one. It workd exactly for what I need.lots of trips to lots of riding spots carrying 3 dh bikes and a ton of gear. It isnt the fastestmoving vehical, but it gets me there!!!
Blown tanny at 70,000 miles--that's not so good. I've never really heard of anyone having problems with those transmissions. Now days, a transmission should last a lot longer than that.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
blt2ride said:
Blown tanny at 70,000 miles--that's not so good. I've never really heard of anyone having problems with those transmissions. Now days, a transmission should last a lot longer than that.
That does sound like a little much to me too.

Both the engine and tranny back in the 2000's are from the previous years frontiers and even prior when they were just "hardbodies".

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
IAB, is that for an auto or manual? what happened so it died so quickly?
It was automatic. Subaru says it was just a dud transmission that could not be repaired. Going from 2nd to 3rd, then 3rd to 4th gears, the RPM would shoot up a couple thousand revs before settling back down, even though I went easy on the gas. Of course, it took me three trips to the dealer before it finally got fixed. :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well that right there is a good enough reason not to buy one. I bet they have dueling banjo's cranked on the intercom in the assembly plant all day long.

I've been to most automotive plants in the US, not the Nissan though. The traditional big three midwest plants are dank dirty holes filled with fat lazy drunk autoworkers. The Japanese plants in the south are clean high tech places filled with educated people busting their asses. Our training people are not allowed to give tests in GM plants because being able to READ is not a job requirement.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
My wife has had a 2003 X since January 2004 (we bought it new) – while we got a smoking deal on it (V6, 4WD, 5 speed) it does have some downsides.

>Power – it’s more than a bit underpowered.

>Brakes – it stops like a pig on ice

>Cabin space – it’s not as big as it looks, however the rear seat is pretty roomy.

That said, it does do well offroad and in the ice and snow. I put a Yakima roof rack on ours and it’s a bit of a chore getting a bike up there even for me at 6’1”, but not so bad that I’m deterred from doing it often.

The wife test drove a Forester this past July and noticed that the cabin space was not hugely smaller than the X, plus its got better power and handles like it’s on rails compared to the X…………..needless to say she fell in love with it.

Feel free to holler at me if you have any other questions…………….

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
I've been to most automotive plants in the US, not the Nissan though. The traditional big three midwest plants are dank dirty holes filled with fat lazy drunk autoworkers. The Japanese plants in the south are clean high tech places filled with educated people busting their asses. Our training people are not allowed to give tests in GM plants because being able to READ is not a job requirement.
Interesting fact!

I know Toyota has spent some serious coin upgrading it assembly capacity in the US this past year.

J

JRB

We are about to build Tundras in San Antonio. I think the plant opens in early 06. Even manufactured in the states, the tolerances and quality make it a much better product.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Some general info for ya MBC...

Toyota SUVs are going to be the best in terms of value/features/quality, but probably the most expensive.

Then Nissan - generally a hair cheaper, but not quite the reliability, especially in the long run (i.e. beyond 100k and 5 or 6 years).

Then everyone else... I'm kinda undecided about honda "trucks" at this point... European "SUVs" are (for the most part) more about perfomance than useability, and get expensive in a hurry. American SUVs are unreliable at best, especially in the long run.

I'd buy a used Toyota before I'd buy a new Explorer/Trailblazer/Cherokee/Land Rover/or anything else. A nissan is the only other SUV I'd consider, assuming I could afford it.

Just out of curiosity... what else are you considering?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:

Toyota SUVs are going to be the best in terms of value/features/quality, but probably the most expensive.

Then Nissan - generally a hair cheaper, but not quite the reliability, especially in the long run (i.e. beyond 100k and 5 or 6 years).

Then everyone else... I'm kinda undecided about honda "trucks" at this point... European "SUVs" are (for the most part) more about perfomance than useability, and get expensive in a hurry. American SUVs are unreliable at best, especially in the long run.

I'd buy a used Toyota before I'd buy a new Explorer/Trailblazer/Cherokee/Land Rover/or anything else. A nissan is the only other SUV I'd consider, assuming I could afford it.

We've been working closely with a local Toyota dealership and it's interesting to hear all the numbers that he throws around.
For example:

The Corola cost something like $9k to make and sells for $12k
The Tundra cost something like $13K to make and sells for $25k

My numbers may be a little off but that was something like the spread.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
jacksonpt said:

Agreed that the Toyotas are more expensive new or used, however I have a '94 Pathfinder at 241000 miles on the original clutch and a '98 Pathfinder at 191000 miles again on the original clutch so as far as reliability goes these match up well against our '85 Toyota Pick-up at 181000 miles..

Having said this I'd buy either brand well before any American made SUV.:thumb:

jacksonpt said:

Well I currently drive a 99 Explorer (remember all my tires questions :) ?) And aside from minor repair hassles I really have no complaints **knock on wood** I've never been stranded anywhere and most of my repairs have been either warranty covered or wear and tear. The problem is now the wear and tear repairs are getting pricey (ball joints, my trasfer case is leaking oil, wheel bearings etc etc)

I think the Explorers and the Nissans (xterra/pathfinder) are the only ones on my list. It will come down to 1. price 2. what's available.

I'm supposed to be going to the Ford dealer this afternoon so either the shopping will be over or just beginning ;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
PonySoldier said:
Agreed that the Toyotas are more expensive new or used, however I have a '94 Pathfinder at 241000 miles on the original clutch and a '98 Pathfinder at 191000 miles again on the original clutch so as far as reliability goes these match up well against our '85 Toyota Pick-up at 181000 miles..
First off, I didn't mean to imply that Nissans are unreliable... but in the grand scheme of things, Toyota has a slight edge.

As for your experience - that's 3 trucks (2 nissans and 1 toyota) in the face of hundreds of thousands sold each year. And I'm sure your 98 ptahy with 191k has seen the same kind of use/driving as the 85 toy with 181k.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MtnBikerChk said:
Well I currently drive a 99 Explorer (remember all my tires questions :) ?) And aside from minor repair hassles I really have no complaints **knock on wood** I've never been stranded anywhere and most of my repairs have been either warranty covered or wear and tear. The problem is now the wear and tear repairs are getting pricey (ball joints, my trasfer case is leaking oil, wheel bearings etc etc)

I think the Explorers and the Nissans (xterra/pathfinder) are the only ones on my list. It will come down to 1. price 2. what's available.

I'm supposed to be going to the Ford dealer this afternoon so either the shopping will be over or just beginning ;)
Did you compare gas milage?