Quantcast

Xterra owners...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
Well I currently drive a 99 Explorer (remember all my tires questions :) ?) And aside from minor repair hassles I really have no complaints **knock on wood** I've never been stranded anywhere and most of my repairs have been either warranty covered or wear and tear. The problem is now the wear and tear repairs are getting pricey (ball joints, my trasfer case is leaking oil, wheel bearings etc etc)

I think the Explorers and the Nissans (xterra/pathfinder) are the only ones on my list. It will come down to 1. price 2. what's available.

I'm supposed to be going to the Ford dealer this afternoon so either the shopping will be over or just beginning ;)
How long do you plan to keep the truck? If you're only keeping it 4 or 5 years (say, 60-70k miles), a ford might be a good choice. Readily available, dealers on every corner (so if you have a problem out of town, it's not hard to find a dealer), reliability should be ok in the short term, pricing is good. If you want to keep it longer, go Japanese - there's no comparison.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
jacksonpt said:
Some general info for ya MBC...

Toyota SUVs are going to be the best in terms of value/features/quality, but probably the most expensive.

<30K loaded

Im going to check one out this weekend at the auto show in boston

:thumb:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
and that 30k is with all the off road gadgets, lockers, sliders, rock protection, etc. reasonably equipted should be closer to 25k

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MtnBikerChk said:
yeah, the all suck. mostly between 16/20 or 15/21
Just wondering!

Go with the Xterra!
I haven't been in the newer xterra's but I've been really happy with mine. It's not to BIG but just big enough.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
luken8r said:

<30K loaded

Im going to check one out this weekend at the auto show in boston

:thumb:
can't wait to check on out in person. I wish Toyota would get more real world data/specs/options posted on their website about it.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
jacksonpt said:
First off, I didn't mean to imply that Nissans are unreliable... but in the grand scheme of things, Toyota has a slight edge.

As for your experience - that's 3 trucks (2 nissans and 1 toyota) in the face of hundreds of thousands sold each year. And I'm sure your 98 ptahy with 191k has seen the same kind of use/driving as the 85 toy with 181k.
I ddin't take it that way at all, the only reason I bought the Pathfinders was the price difference v. 4-Runners especially here in Colorado. I have been more than satisfied with the reliabilty of both brands. The only reason the truck has less miles than either Pathfinder is we can't haul the whole family around in the truck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
I guess like my current vehicle - keep it until it starts to cost money.
chances are that a Japanese vehicle is going to last longer (i.e. no major repairs) than an american-made vehicle. FWIW... I've got 120k on my 4Runner and I beat the snot out of it - I've had no unexpected repairs on the truck.

Clearly I'm not in your shoes... I don't know what your budget is like or what your priorities are, but IMO, an Xterra is worth a few thousand extra on the sticker over an explorer.

Also, consider what the trade in value will be in 5 years with, say, 75k miles.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
chances are that a Japanese vehicle is going to last longer (i.e. no major repairs) than an american-made vehicle. FWIW... I've got 120k on my 4Runner and I beat the snot out of it - I've had no unexpected repairs on the truck.

Clearly I'm not in your shoes... I don't know what your budget is like or what your priorities are, but IMO, an Xterra is worth a few thousand extra on the sticker over an explorer.

Ditto here... my '97 4Runner has over 205k on it now... and runs like a champ. Just needs about $800 in loving attention every 100k.

jacksonpt said:

more like 100 in 5 years!

I hear ya - and I think I agree about the Japanese suvs but I dunno - 1. there's something about the explorers that I just really love and 2. (of course) they are cheaper.

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I will let you know what I find today/this weekend.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
more like 100 in 5 years!
That makes a Japanese SUV an even better choice then. The only person willing to pay any money for an explorer with 100k miles on it is a dad looking to get his kid a cheap/safe rig that said kid can wreck without costing said dad lots o mula.

An Xterra (or better yet, a 4Runner, wink wink) will still draw a decent resale price, and be more desireable in general.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
That makes a Japanese SUV an even better choice then. The only person willing to pay any money for an explorer with 100k miles on it is a dad looking to get his kid a cheap/safe rig that said kid can wreck without costing said dad lots o mula.
Heh, MBC is trying to sell her Exploder rustbucket to her DAD. :blah:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
Ditto here... my '97 4Runner has over 205k on it now... and runs like a champ. Just needs about $800 in loving attention every 100k.
I'm to the poitn where I'm putting about $1500-$2k into my truck annually. Still waaaay less than a $500/mo car payment would be. And most of that money is spent because of my off-roading addiction. Things wear soooo much faster on a modded, trail worthy rig.

Next summer, it's time for new springs, shocks, and tires. Plus the continueing list of to-do mods... lockers, gears, skid plates...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MtnBikerChk said:
I tell you what..... if you can find me someone who will give me family pricing, I'll go buy the pathfinder right now :)
heh, my brother's a bigshot w/ BMW but even w/ family pricing i'm priced out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MtnBikerChk said:
I tell you what..... if you can find me someone who will give me family pricing, I'll go buy the pathfinder right now :)
It is at least worth talking to a dealer. You may be surprised at what little difference there is between "special" pricing and if you negotiate a good deal.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
isn't it clear that i don't give a crap about what i drive? i figure i can retire a few years earlier, rather than throwing 20-30K down on a vehicle every 6 years or so.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Joe Pozer said:
Doesn't the Patriot Act state that you must be heavily in debt or you will be deported?
extra golden eagle-points are awarded for headrest dvd players and 24"s bought on credit :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
isn't it clear that i don't give a crap about what i drive? i figure i can retire a few years earlier, rather than throwing 20-30K down on a vehicle every 6 years or so.
IMO, all "durable" consumer products should last at least a decade. Bikes, cars, skis, etc.......

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
hey, I have been searching for a 6 speed xterra (05,06) for a while and couldn't get the dealers to deal on one, even with the yearend clearances. I ended up negociating a lease on a 2006 S level pathfinder cheaper than any Xterra they could offer (including a stripped X model). I absolutely love the vehicle. It's a bit bigger than what I wanted (the X was just right) but with the pathfinder you can mount up to 5 or 6 bikes inside of it, or 3-4 bikes and all their riders inside. The pathfinder is also quicker than the xterra. It has a similar motor, but it's tuned for more torque and HP (270hp, 290lb-ft). If you really love driving though, the 6 speed in the Xterra was a blast. Let me know if you want any more info on the pathfinder. I'm really happy with it. Good luck