Quantcast

XTR Crank Removal

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You got it. Park calls it the "splined crank remover" or something equally imaginative.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
XTR do i need some kind of special tool? I just cant get them off with the regular crank puller....:mad:
If they don’t just come off or you can’t rig something you will need to know whether they are Splined or not. There are two different types of pullers square and splined. If it’s a newer bike I’m going to say it's splined and that’s the type of puller you will need. I just bought a square puller for something like $12 bucks the other day. You might be able to get one with both on it for $20.

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
You can get an adapter which allows you to use a standard crank puller to get off shimano splined cranks.
It is a little steel spacer that VAR make that fits into the crank and presses against the splined axle.
I think they are about £5-00 in the UK.

Carbonguy

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
near los angeles california
Originally posted by Heidi

me either, Ozzer took mine off on the trail once to tighten my pivot bolt.
You can take your cranks off by the single key release. I would only recomend doing this in an emergency type sitiation like when your buddy needed to tighten your pivot on the trail. If you use the single key release to often the threads on your crank can get damaged and then even a crank puller with the small splined bottom bracket adaptor would be useless.

R0CKAFELLA

Chimp
Dec 11, 2001
huh?:confused:

I'm lost. My XTR came with self extracting bolts.......isn't it the standard? U're refering to removal of the crank arm right?

Carbonguy

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
near los angeles california
rock, your on the right track
single key release and self extracting cranks bolts are the same. You can use it to remove cranks but what i am saying is dont make a practice out of it when you can use a crank puller.