Quantcast

XTR Cranks for DH?

potta

Chimp
Feb 18, 2008
XTR M970 are they strong enough for DH bike?
Are any of you using them, what are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if you are confident that you aren't going to hit anything with your pedals then yea, there is an argument that says cranks in dh dont see as high loads as hard tails do.

but hitting rocks is totally different. i got a pair of xt cranks which has a slightly bent right arm now, i would definitely go for something like the gravity lights if i had to change cranks.

Heath Sherratt - someone as actually used them on a 83mm bb bike. you get a 52mm chain line i think. check the sunday thread. he mounted the cranks with out the preload ring on the non drive side.

potta

Chimp
Feb 18, 2008
There are not loads of rocks on my local runs so that will help.
I have been following that thread. That is what started me thinking about the XTR cranks

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
First question to ask is how much do you weight with gear? That will make a diffrence on what cranks you can get away with running, personally I wouldnt put that much money into DH cranks. Its not a question of if your going to hit something, more of when with DH. I wouldnt personally want to run anything higher than the xt.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the athertons are also sponsored shimano japan, so i doubt they will worry about how long the cranks last.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Everyone used to use the old XTR cranks for DH, in fact I've had them on various bikes since 2000ish I think, and my current set have been going since 2003. I can only presume that the newers ones are at least as capable, if not more so. I'd have no qualms about running them other than initial outlay cost.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I'm running a set & no complaints from me. I'm about 190lbs kitted up & they are not noticably any more flexy than the Saints I ran for the 2 years prior.

I pay roughly half retail for them, so once you sell the carbon/ti chainrings, they work out cheaper than XT/Saint anyway.

Well recommended!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Everyone used to use the old XTR cranks for DH, in fact I've had them on various bikes since 2000ish I think, and my current set have been going since 2003. I can only presume that the newers ones are at least as capable, if not more so. I'd have no qualms about running them other than initial outlay cost.

took "somebody else" to notice you'd bent a set though, eh?:brows:
you checked the current ones? :p
;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nah, I've never bent the cranks, it's the BBs that go, they twist (I presume). Never had one break but I've replaced them 2 or 3 times to get my cranks realigned :)

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
presumably this relates to weight saving... here's the approx. weight of crank arms + bb that i'm running to put it in perspective:

M970XTR: 600g
M760XT: 690g
M601 Hone (w/ steel pedal inserts): 715g
Gravity lites: 800g (with XTR BB)

i'm sure you could run the XTRs as long as you don't tag a pedal. i destroyed the XTs this way. for the $, strength and relative weight difference (100-200g), i prefer Hones or Gravity lites.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Danm....I could drop a little under pound off my bike by running gravity lights. Assuming my Diabolus single ring setup weighs around 1100g's. Its probably not worth it though as my cranks have been bullet proof for 2 years.
I don't think I'd run a pedal without stainless inserts for DH. Bikes are getting lower, your going to smash into things.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i just bent my gravity lites the other day......i was quite surprised.....may have to switch back to something stronger....we'll see how fsa is about warranty
damyum, guess if you want strong cranks, there is always saint.

but then again barrel used to go through a few pairs of cranks in a race weekend on his old bike.

those carbon cranks bcd was taking about dont sound too bad of an idea anymore. they dont get bend. hmm, who makes a external bb carbon crank?

Oct 14, 2007
those carbon cranks bcd was taking about dont sound too bad of an idea anymore.
are you serious? I mean are we so blindly obsessed with weight savings that we will disregard the obvious...this is DH, people...Carbon cranks will break...XTR/XT XC Gravity lights will bend...

I thought we had balls around here>? most of y'all are starting to remind me of the Spandex wearing roadies who go on and on and on about switching through ultra light tubes and changing cranks/stems/bars every year in order to reap a few grams here and there

...simply enjoy ridding...most people spend WAY to much time specking their rides..eventually news stuffs comes in and this obsession never STOPS!!!

all I have to say about this is

LAY OF THE TSATSIKI SAUCE AND JUST RIDE!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
are you serious? I mean are we so blindly obsessed with weight savings that we will disregard the obvious...this is DH, people...Carbon cranks will break...XTR/XT XC Gravity lights will bend...

I thought we had balls around here>? most of y'all are starting to remind me of the Spandex wearing roadies who go on and on and on about switching through ultra light tubes and changing cranks/stems/bars every year in order to reap a few grams here and there

...simply enjoy ridding...most people spend WAY to much time specking their rides..eventually news stuffs comes in and this obsession never STOPS!!!

all I have to say about this is

LAY OF THE TSATSIKI SAUCE AND JUST RIDE!
wow, just say the word carbon and you automatically assume its about saving weight.:clapping::disgust1:

have you seen the pictures of the cranks that bcd has been using? i was saying they might be a good idea coz they have taken a beating and according to bcd are still absolutely fine. carbon isn't exactly the brittle extremely fragile material that most people make it out to be.

if you actually spent any time reading this thread i have been suggesting against using xtr cranks for dh.

think next time you decide to talk crap again.