Quantcast

XTR Cranks: M950 vs. M952?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've been running XTR cranks on my bikes for years. For the most part installing them has never been a problem. I've installed them with bottom pull derailleurs, top pull derailuers, E-type's, MRP's (types I & II) and with an Evil SRS. I'm not new to this.

Tonight I ran into a new one. :confused:

I bought bizutch's 165mm XTR cranks to replace the 170mm cranks on my M-1 (I hit the pedals a lot so I figure every little bit helps). My 170's are M950 models and the 165's are M952s. I unbolted the spider from my old cranks - which fit the frame and guide perfectly and have a great chainline - and bolted it to the 165's. I mount the cranks on the bottom bracket and about when it gets cinched down, the chain ring hits the swingarm.

I've never really known what the difference between the various M95X cranks is. Did I just find it? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
the 950s were the first of the second gen (dark grey) XTR cranks. I'm pretty sure they use a slightly different setup as far as mounting the spider/chainring goes. If you look at some of the aftermarket spiders you can get for them, they usually only work with either M950 or 952/3 but not both. Will spacing your BB over and/or getting a longer spindle do the trick? The 118 DA BB is the longest you can get for XTR cranks that I am aware of.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Actually, Friday night I figured out what was wrong and it had nothing to do with the cranks. I had removed the cranks before I removed the shock and tried to reinstall the cranks before replacing the shock (was still waiting for a new spring) - so the swingarm was hanging lower than normal and interfered with the chainring. Kinda embarrassing... :rolleyes: but at least it turned out to be nothing. The 112.5 bottom bracket worked fine once I reinstalled the shock and raised the swingarm out of the way.

Now I need to figure out what I did wrong to cause my guide to eff-up twice this past weekend... :think: