Quantcast

XTR Di2 shifters- not for monkeys

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
So, silly me putting together a trail/XC build for the summer thought I'd try being fancy and high-tech, and splurged on XTR Di2, because I hate money and am an idiot.

Word of warning: the SW-M9050 Di2 Firebolt shifter is the single worst piece of mtb tech to come along in a very long time. Currently, after 3 weeks of riding, I'm on my 3rd shifter after sending the previous two back for warranty.

Problem 1: The ergonomics are terrible. Now, depending on your hands you may prefer normal Shimano over SRAM, or vice versa. I prefer the feel of SRAM with the multiple-shift stroke of Shimano, but it's not a comitted thing or anything. Basically I'll use whatever. But this Firebolt thing is objectively terrible. The upshift and downshift are switched from what they should be, but that's an easy fix with software. The real problem is threefold: a) the top button is much smaller than the bottom button, which is the reverse of every single other shifter on the market, SRAM or Shimano. It is also quite difficult to find when you are doing anything other than cruising along on smooth track. Better hope you don't need an easier gear after that chundery downhill, because you aren't getting it. b) The shifter throw is kind of a "rotates around the axis of the bar" movement, which, again, is unlike the straight swivel of every single other shifter on the market, SRAM or Shimano. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but after a couple of hours of shifting, will cause your thumb to start cramping due to the unnatural movement. Finally, c) the giant bulbous spring housing makes it impossible to fit near your brakes, regardless of brand. This means the crappy rotation movement of b) is further complicated by having to do the thumb war stretch just to shift.

Problem 2: The shifter is a flimsy, plasticy POS. So, if you take the time to actually read the dealer's installation manual, they tell you to install the shifter with a torque spec of 0.9 N-m. Without carbon paste. Since I am such a nerd that I actually own a torque wrench capable of doing decimal fractions of newton meters, I happily dialed in the torque and discovered that 0.9 N-m is nowhere near enough to secure the shifter. It will rotate the second you try to shift. Okay, time to add carbon paste- Nope! Still rotates. Okay, maybe double the torque to 1.8 N-m? *SNAP* The damn thing breaks. Specifically the screw that tightens the band cracked it's housing and caused the band to lose any ability to hold tension. It's worth pointing out this was on a Pro Tharsis Trail Di2 bar- so Shimano's own bar designed specifically for this shifter. Warranty #1. Fortunately this happened right before a race Shimano was doing support for, and they were able to warranty it on the spot, A+ for service there. They handled the install, telling me they made a running change to the shifter because of that flimsy band/screw interface. Fair enough. New shifter actually holds on to the bar, which is nice. Whats not nice is two days later the return spring that pushes the lever back to neutral (both buttons use the same spring) breaks. Warranty #2.

Finally have a third functioning shifter (installed by me, at 4 N-m with carbon paste, which is what it takes to keep it from rotating) but this one seems to have some binding with the return spring, and it occasionally catches and keeps on shifting.

Overall, while I am happy with the rest of the drivetrain, it's rendered completely worthless by a shitty shifter. Seriously Shimano, what the hell? How can you fuck up a shifter this badly? Contemplating just going with Eagle.

TL;DR- don't buy Di2 XTR (or XT) untill Shimano fixes the mess that is the Firebolt shifter.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Seriously though, good to know. I doubt there are many demo bikes with xtr di2 out there available to try before you buy.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I found that the shifter needs to be butted up against the brake lever in such a manner that the plastic housing can't flex out of the way if tightened properly. The brake lever is a Shimano so the orientation is lever outboard, shifter inboard and butted up against the lever clamp.

Bad design yes, but it's a workable solution. I've been running this setup on my DH bike since last summer and so far no mishaps.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I found that the shifter needs to be butted up against the brake lever in such a manner that the plastic housing can't flex out of the way if tightened properly. The brake lever is a Shimano so the orientation is lever outboard, shifter inboard and butted up against the lever clamp.

Bad design yes, but it's a workable solution. I've been running this setup on my DH bike since last summer and so far no mishaps.
I tried running it this way at first, but it was impossible ergo-wise. I like my brakes (Hope X2s) pretty far inboard, the shifter needs to be outboard otherwise I have to kinda crab-walk my hand along the grip just to shift.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Electric shifting opens a whole new world of possibilities. I am gonna wait until they give me butt operated shifter - left cheek down, right cheek up.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I tried running it this way at first, but it was impossible ergo-wise. I like my brakes (Hope X2s) pretty far inboard, the shifter needs to be outboard otherwise I have to kinda crab-walk my hand along the grip just to shift.
Agreed. I don't think it would work with any other brakes I run with longer levers: Magura MT5 and Guides come to mind. Shifters are outboard on those bikes.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Aaaaaand Shimano hits rock bottom. The place where SRAM has become a more reliable option.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Aaaaaand Shimano hits rock bottom. The place where SRAM has become a more reliable option.
:rofl:
easy there, e-tap is just hitting the streets in real numbers and I'd bet my left nut that sets new records for SRAM warranty claims. That's not even waiting to get dirt and frequent crashing in the mix!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If I get really bored and really motivated (not a likely combination), I'll get a video of my XT M8000 setup. 1/4 turn of the pedals and the chain drops 4 gears.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
So, uh, I don't know what people are complaining about.

Not sure what bike that is but the OneUp chainring is 1.4mm inboard of Shimano, and therefore the chainline is improved in the largest cog.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not sure what bike that is but the OneUp chainring is 1.4mm inboard of Shimano, and therefore the chainline is improved in the largest cog.
I know.

It's a Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail.