Quantcast

XTR Front derailuier install questions

I am installing an XTR front derailuier , cable and shifter. Having issues. I've never done a complete install before, only adjusted an existing setup. The install instructions provided by Shimano is confusing and seems wrong ( maybe its me tho :D ). I have a bottom pull.

I'm using the same instructions as shown here:
http://www.universalcycles.com/installs/shimanomanuals/xtr952/front drive/3derandbbinstall.JPG
http://www.universalcycles.com/installs/shimanomanuals/xtr952/front drive/6sisadjA.JPG
http://www.universalcycles.com/installs/shimanomanuals/xtr952/front drive/6sisadjB.JPG

I currently have the derauiler attached to the frame in the proper height and rotation to be aligned with the top chainring.

1) It says that I should remove the 'Pro-Set alignment block', then use the low adjustment screw to set the clearance between the chain and inner guide to .5mm. Should I do this BEFORE attaching the cable? I've tried this and gone through the full range of the low adj screw and the guide never goes near where it should. Its seems to me that I need to attach the cable first with some tension (to move the derailuer 3cm or so).

2) Attaching the cable to the wiring fixing bolt. There are 3 pieces here: the bolt itself, the washer, and the derailuier. Should the cable pass between the washer and bolt OR between the washer and derailuier?
Should the wire be on the tensioning side (left of center when looking at the bolt) ? So when I tighten the bolt, the cable should also tighten?

3) Anyone got any good tips for cleanly cutting xtr cables? I have wire cutters, but the cut is not super clean nor round. I would rather not purchase a bike specific cable cutter.

Thanks for any help as I wean myself from LBS dependency.
Patrick

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by bigpow5

1) It says that I should remove the 'Pro-Set alignment block', then use the low adjustment screw to set the clearance between the chain and inner guide to .5mm. Should I do this BEFORE attaching the cable? I've tried this and gone through the full range of the low adj screw and the guide never goes near where it should. Its seems to me that I need to attach the cable first with some tension (to move the derailuer 3cm or so).
You really don't need the dumb block - just set the der. so it's low enough that it just barely clears the biggest chainring. For the hi/lo adj screws, shift into the granny and tighten the Lo screw enough that it'll *just* shift to the granny, keeping that screw in as much as possible to prevent any overshifting. Same with the Hi adj - tighten until it'll *just* shift into the big ring. Obviously the cable has to be connected to make these adjustments.

2) Attaching the cable to the wiring fixing bolt. There are 3 pieces here: the bolt itself, the washer, and the derailuier. Should the cable pass between the washer and bolt OR between the washer and derailuier?
Should the wire be on the tensioning side (left of center when looking at the bolt) ? So when I tighten the bolt, the cable should also tighten?
cable goes between the washer and the derailleur. There's usually a little groove for the cable to sit in on the der. body. Run it thru the groove, whichever side that's on.

3) Anyone got any good tips for cleanly cutting xtr cables? I have wire cutters, but the cut is not super clean nor round. I would rather not purchase a bike specific cable cutter.

I use a real big wire cutter and then file the ends smooth. A Dremel with a cutoff-wheel works excellent. A Shimano cable cutter is only like $20 though.....