Quantcast

XTR Rapid Rise Integrated pods...

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:think: Okay, I just ripped apart my old hardtail and re-built it with new components for winter/night duties...very stoked. Now, I have an older (8spd) XTR Rapid rise set of shift/brake pods laying around. I've been thinking, and since all the unit does is let cable out, or take it up, can't they be used with regular 8spd deraileurs. Wouldn't the action just be reversed? The LBS seems to think this isn't possible, that I'd need a RR deraileur to work with the pods, which doesn't make sense to me. Help a monkey out!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
There is no such thing as Rapid rise shifters. You are correct they just let out and take up cable. Its the rear deraileur that is different. Reverse spring action and cable attachment. You need a new LBS. Whoever told you that don't know the difference between puppy poo and muddy puding.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Yeah, thats what I figured. These guys are not about helping, they're about selling! The only issue that I was concerned with was the compatibility of the action with the actual deraileur, but I'm going to throw them on my commuter rig and give 'em a whirl. Thanks.:D

Maybe I'll bring them in some runny pudding and see what they make of it!:wink: