Quantcast

XTR RECALL

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
I heard the news today. XTR is now recalling all of its new hydraulic brakes with their built in shifters. The problem is that the brake pads are falling out of the Calliper.

Closer inspection required at the shop yesterday when the word was that the back of the brake pad is made of two different compositions. Part aluminum and part steel. The aluminum is peeling off.

MAJOR CATASTROPHIC BRAKE FAILURE PEOPLE DO NOT RIDE YOUR BICYCLES.

SRAM rules, you suckers.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
I got my news fresh while in the bike shop passed on to us from a reliable internet source. Anyhow they want all of them back and the brakepad issue our shop had seen before.

I dunno all the details. I am sure.

and yes i damn well do work in a rumormill.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I am pretty happy with my new Avids 185's about now. You just can't go wrong with simple... :thumb:

I have not heard much about SRAM disks... :confused:
that's b/c there aren't any :D he was being sarcastic foolio :p

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy
I seen them in the order catalogue. I definitely want a pair of those or hayes i guess.

gots hayes mechanical now...

I found out that I am partial to sram but not rockshox. Being partial to sram means paying a fair amount. Plus they are black.

but if i got the hayes it would be for the carbon levers and the Ti bolts on the silver disc brakes.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
yes there are, they're rebadged Grimecas.

So this "recall" is basically you read something on MTBR so now it's "legitimate"??? Hmm. I'll wait 'til I read the Shimano press release in Velonews or some such.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
They did though:

I don't believe any of the XTR RECALL stuff. I want some proof. We have put the xtr on plenty of bikes and had NO PROBLEMS. plus we have not been notified. They were pretty prompt with the cleat notification, why wouldn't they be with the brakes?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
There are two different brake pads available. A resin one with aluminum backing plate and a metalic one with a steel (I think) backing. Is it one type of pad perhaps? And if it is the pad why recall unaffected parts? Details boy details!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by sub6
yes there are, they're rebadged Grimecas.

So this "recall" is basically you read something on MTBR so now it's "legitimate"??? Hmm. I'll wait 'til I read the Shimano press release in Velonews or some such.
DUH!!!!! i completely forgot, seriously. not many ppl had em and those that did were sponsored riders......

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by oldfart
There are two different brake pads available. A resin one with aluminum backing plate and a metalic one with a steel (I think) backing. Is it one type of pad perhaps? And if it is the pad why recall unaffected parts? Details boy details!
yes, old fart you damn well got it down right that time.

the aluminum one is a serious problem, we seen what heat does to that one. However the real reason they are recalling them is because they only know that people's disc brake pads were slipping out when riding. It happened a few times already so they are going to change the whole damn system around.

That is what you get when you buy first run parts...they already have a better idea to re-outfit the ones that everybody already bought. It is cheap enough to retrofit everyone's stuff too. I'd say expect new internals. They are recalling the shifter lever also, not just the caliper.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Why does everyone play games with other brake manufactures when all everyone needs is a set of Hopes on their rides.
Not for xc. When hope pads overheat the entire caliper seizes. The damn fluid expands until they lock. You have to wait like 10 minutes for it to cool down proper. I seen it happen on my trails to people hundreds of times.

At least hayes work for a little while longer before they fade. I still think i prefer to get some hayes.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
You have to wait like 10 minutes for it to cool down proper. I seen it happen on my trails to people hundreds of times.
100s of times, eh? And they somehow overheat more from XC than DH? Wow... you learn something new every day.

You're thinking of the C4s which are a closed system. And if you've met more than 3 people that RUN them (let alone have problems with them) I'd be awfully suprised. They're pretty rare. And it takes a hell of an XC ride to heat them up to the point of seizure. Rubbing, yes... seizing, probably not "hundreds of times."

The mini's and the M4s are open systems, and certainly don't seize.

edit: whoops, meant the C2, not the C4...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Not for xc. When hope pads overheat the entire caliper seizes. The damn fluid expands until they lock. You have to wait like 10 minutes for it to cool down proper. I seen it happen on my trails to people hundreds of times.

At least hayes work for a little while longer before they fade. I still think i prefer to get some hayes.
Hmm weird mine never did that.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
And where in Ontario can one get in a long enough downhill to overheat your brakes? I raced Pro Elite in the Toronto area back in the late 80's. Not a heck of a lot of topography back then. I don't recall reading about any new orogeny lately either.

The boys are correct, its an old Hope brake which was guilty of heating up and seizing. Not the new ones.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Hey DN,

I run XTR disk brake, can you provide real info and proof of what you are saying? press releases, word from shimano?

A recall that big should written somewhere eh?

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by ohio
100s of times, eh? And they somehow overheat more from XC than DH? Wow... you learn something new every day.

You're thinking of the C4s which are a closed system. And if you've met more than 3 people that RUN them (let alone have problems with them) I'd be awfully suprised. They're pretty rare. And it takes a hell of an XC ride to heat them up to the point of seizure. Rubbing, yes... seizing, probably not "hundreds of times."

The mini's and the M4s are open systems, and certainly don't seize.
2 or 3 different locals on a few weekends in a row. All xc i dunno the first thing about any of the others.

I dunno man. I am a Hayes mechanical user. I just went and bought new Ritchey Logic levers for them and I am going to keep on using them. Hayes mechanicals are so simple I don't have to worry my pretty little head about any of all that.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by Deyv
Hey DN,

I run XTR disk brake, can you provide real info and proof of what you are saying? press releases, word from shimano?

A recall that big should written somewhere eh?
I'll say. These stupid little bicycle shops are so f'cking mickey mouse they got their heads up their butts so far they want to feel like they are on the cutting thin edge of the wedge.

Those stupid idiots. I have never met such a group of stupud mental midgets before. Nuts on them. I am going to ride my bike and enjoy it.

The rest of them can go learn how to fix their own damn bikes.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England

Erm? what? I've got hope brakes on my DH bike (DH4 on the front, and C2 on the rear) and the C2 pumps up a little in a 5 minute DH run. WHen I've ridden the DH bike on all day rides, I've never had a problem with the brake locking on. 2 or 3 friends of mine use C2s on their bikes, and similarly have little problem with them other than at Fort William..... which makes most brakes overheat.

most hydraulic brake users in England run the Hope systems, for the simple reasons that they work and if there's any crash damage then all the bits are easily replaceable.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Yeah beware the rumormill effect of working in bike shop within Toronto. Probably not even one word of it was true. screw 'em all i say. i am never working in another bike shop again.
Then why don't you delete this thread. The Shimano guy I talked to yesterday called BS on it. Said the only problem they were having with pads falling out, were the people who weren't putting the cotter pin on the retainer screw OR leaving the retainer screw out all together (thinking it was just to hold the yellow plastic set up block in place).

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by pixelninja
From one ninja to another, I agree.
too bad about that. I did hear from old fart on some thread that they are more responsive and work well or something.

maby shimano just wanted to do something different for once and now every last shimano user on the planet can go through the crap of designing new product like sram has been going through...

if you got something that old, of course it works well. if you got something that incredibly new, well expect it to take a little while to work out all of the little buggies.

i wonder what the sram labratories are really up to right now...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
too bad about that. I did hear from old fart on some thread that they are more responsive and work well or something.

maby shimano just wanted to do something different for once and now every last shimano user on the planet can go through the crap of designing new product like sram has been going through...

if you got something that old, of course it works well. if you got something that incredibly new, well expect it to take a little while to work out all of the little buggies.

i wonder what the sram labratories are really up to right now...
they are messing w/ carbon on the pulley hanger on the rear derailuers. spotted one at mt snow and it was quite sick. if you find pics of JHK racing look closely at his rear derailuer and notice how the cage isn't all nice and shiny aluminum but carbon.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
2 or 3 different locals on a few weekends in a row. All xc i dunno the first thing about any of the others.

I dunno man. I am a Hayes mechanical user. I just went and bought new Ritchey Logic levers for them and I am going to keep on using them. Hayes mechanicals are so simple I don't have to worry my pretty little head about any of all that.
i prefer the avid mechanicals over the hayes. they're both strong but the setup on the avid's a lot easier.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
lots of pros and cons with that

hayes were cheaper.

that was my bottom line. i have set up avids on peoples bikes lots of times and hayes also. there is nothing difficult about setting up either really.

the only issue i had with avid was the 6second delay with wet brake pads. they sizzle until they burn the water off and they are not as precise as brake hayes pads for like storm/mud riding.

as for plastic knobs that turn on any brake? i wouldn't rely on them for anything. since they usually either melt internally or get screwed up by mud. i have heard of avid users getting totally screwed over because of this.

with the hayes i rolled back the pads when i got them and melted them in on my first ride.

otherwise the avids are lighter. i am just used to the extra pound of weight by now.

funny about those richey levers, they never worked right with disc brakes since the lever pull ratio wasn't right for discs. I am back to a Hayes HMX1 left brake lever and a sram 7.o right lever.

i like this combo ok and the ritchey logic levers are with my lx v's on my other bike.

hayes have had issues in the past where the plastic part that pulls the brake snaps off. never had this happen. wouldn't dare use it in winter.

i have seen dhers use their avids all winter long.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by jonassterling
Hey, what happened to that XTR recall?
I think they just recalled the aluminum backed pads because they were separating. The steel backed pads which looked different had no problems. It looks like they figured out the problem with the aluminum ones about halfway through a production run.

Basically I think it was the quietest recall in the history of MTB since some people don't even know yet and there have been no warning flashes on their web page.

In other words...if you own XTR you can check your pads and make a judgement call as to whether or not to replace them. Then while in the store, make them open up the package and check first.

The difference is visible. If on the back of the pad it looks like there is a square inside of a sqare then you have the aluminum ones. If it is just one steel plate on the back then you have the steel ones.

They showed me the difference in the shop i was at. It is remarkable...so buyer beware i guess.