Quantcast

XTR RECALL

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
Originally posted by jonassterling
So there is nothing on the website and they are not telling anyone.

This does not sound like a recall to me.
I know what you mean. there was only a limited number of them that got out with the aluminum outer squares. even then not all of them have caused problems. they had about 5 but no more than 8 come apart due to over heating is what i heard.

Aluminum has an obvious light grey luminous colour that you all know and the steel ones are almost black they are so dark and non-reflective.

that is why they changed their production...but they caught it early is also what i heard.

they might not have gone official to make the recall which is why I tried to rename this thread as XTR Problems. Of course with the new format that gecko put up, once you name a thread it stays with that name...

No one seems to have heard anything more on that either. This is what i heard last spring. It was an early production run and not a full production run that caused these pads to get out while they were still being tested.

Sure I got home from work and forgot 99% of the damn speech they gave me but that is what happens when information bombing/communication abuse happens in the workplace. I am so happy that I left that lousy shop. It was the best thing that i ever did.

Big Perm

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
Northen Mexico
No Recall. Just a Rumor.
People, that tiny lightweight aluminum pad axle must be tightened snuggly with the clip installed or it will rattle out and you WILL lose your pads. I would also apply a drop of loc-tite on the threads as well.
And Ninja dude, if the pad material was delaminating from the holder, why would they recall the shift lever and master cylinder? Just one more example of the internet doing you wrong. Get your facts straight.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by Big Perm
No Recall. Just a Rumor.
People, that tiny lightweight aluminum pad axle must be tightened snuggly with the clip installed or it will rattle out and you WILL lose your pads. I would also apply a drop of loc-tite on the threads as well.
And Ninja dude, if the pad material was delaminating from the holder, why would they recall the shift lever and master cylinder? Just one more example of the internet doing you wrong. Get your facts straight.
you know what. It ain't my fvcken problem.

xtr never posted it on their webpage and that is why people are using the internet to figure this one out.

yeah i heard a rumor about that too...but an actual shop manager demonstrated a faulty pad to me and a non-faulty pad since they had seen one.

the other problems i don't know about because i never seen it for myself. Unsubstantiated rumors are a problem.

this is just a time when i can say i am glad that i just own sram.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by jonassterling
People spreading unsubstantiated rumors are the real problem. Look at the title of your post, nitwit.
you mean the thread? yeah i explained that.

besides it isn't like they are recalling all of them. I told the shop that unless they showed me the official letterhead from the fax machine validating the recall, I was not going to believe it for one minute.

That is why i never said anything about it also. I figured it was a personal attack on shimano. I actually posted this thread to find out if this all could be confirmed.

Now that I heard it twice, i am disgusted. Their personal image was more important to them then honestly recalling the product in a humane and regulated fashion. You have to file legal papers to recall a product and post those facts everywhere for people to see them.

I read about recalls in my engineering books. This is like the most underhanded recall I have ever heard or not heard of. Protocol for the big Shimano was modified to support their release of future shimano products I speculate. That is the most reasonable explanation that I can give myself. Basically they managed to censor it and I am wondering how some million dollar attorneys at law can allow the big S to let something like consumer safety slide on this one.

I also suspect a cover up at this point with the fake story about the pads not fitting right. They got replaced with full backs and the grey area where the clip either performed its proper task or failed is getting swept under the rug fast.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by shocktower
Dude how old are you ,you should be care full about what you say cause some people believe what is said here on Da` net :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
my shop manager approached me with this story.

it sounds like they averted a recall because they got the ones that were in fact delaminating.

(Delaminating of all friggen words to use. That is why i smelled a rat. Whenever I have heard someone debase a product by the use of that word I freak.)

anyway I yelled at them to come back when they got proof. You see what a spin an underhanded shop can put on your life?

This story is only coming back in full to me after ages. If they had it in print like I asked for it then there would be no issue.

I refused blatantly to NOT approach customers regarding the issue until I had visibly seen the letterhead.

I mean if you were local, I would just say call DUKE'S BICYCLES and ask them. There is your source.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You are alive nobody! Where you been? I was in Chrona then too. Which shop were you at? Bikenergy, Bloor, Cyclesport? I think all those guys went down about 89 so maybe their demise coincided with your departure? I don't think in my 3 years on Toronto I ever went into Dukes. Raced with Andy Tout every weekend though.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have a print of a painting of a Mariposa done by ....Greg something... can't remember his name, but he was tragically killed in a car accident while on a group ride in Ontario a few years ago. Remember Tony Beeks paint jobs? Mariposa's were sold out of Bicyclesport weren't they? Where Mike Barry's Dad worked? I raced for a tiny shop called Localmotion up on Yonge just North of the 401. Leopold Petrus owned it and lived in the basement.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Tony Beeks is still around doing custom paint jobs. I disassembled a few for him while I was working up at Sporting Life Bikes. 2000-02

Dukes is selling hockey equipment still and sharpening skates but that was about it. When I was there, the upstairs was an office and full of new bikes. They were upening up a neighboring building to move the office.

I made them manage the place when I was there. I made them promote 3 shop guys as management to deal with the mental midgets that called themselves salesmanagement.

They were acting all shocked or something at the suggestion that people manage the place...and never actually included employees in their decisions when managing. I didn't realize that managing was such a dirty word there. Oops.

They acted all weird when I made them poke nails in the north building support to hang my tools. Like the place was some kind of museum or something.