Quantcast

XXc vs. e.thirteen reducer cups

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm planning on getting a Gemini DH frame this summer, and I was cruising the e.thirteen website and saw their 1.5 headset reducer cups. Originally I was planning to run a Cane Creek XXc headset (converts 1.5" headtubes to allow the use of 1.125" forks), but the option of an integrated headset is rather intriguing.

I used the search function (like a good boy) and found this thread, which was very helpful. However, I am still not sure which is the better option. Low stack height, increased strength, and less weight are big advantages of the reducer cup system. However, the reducer cup system (along with an integrated headset) would be more expensive than buying a XXc alone, and it seems a lot more complicated. Also, with the reducer cup system, the bearings are exposed, and my impression is that they'd be extremely vulnerable. What's the general concensus on this issue?

Also, one more question: do the reducer cups press into the top and bottom of the headtube, or do you have to run a standard lower headset cup in the bottom?

Thanks guys.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
get the cups, there's nothing wrong with my XXc, but the stack height is outrageous.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's not complicated at all. get the cups from e13, buy an FSA IS-2 ( http://shop.hammerheadbikes.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=37&SKU=HD4639) headset off QBP for like $40.

the bearings press into the reducer cups, which press into the frame. the IS-2 will come with a cap you can put on top of the upper bearing, but it caused play for me, so i got rid of it. i now use a standard headset spacer like Acadian.

both top and bottom cups press in.

i dig it. the reducer cups dropped my front end, and unexpectedly, made the bike feel wonderful.

if you want to get creative like Acadian and Piper, you can use the XXC lower cup so as to not drop the front end so much. but that's another story.

this thread has a crap load of info.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Something to think about: if you ever DO decide to go with a 1.5 steerer fork, if you're running the XXC, all you need is a new dust cap and crown race. Plus, it's an easy swap back and forth. If you go with the E.13 reducers, switching to a 1.5 setup is going to require pressing out the reducers and installing a whole new headset.

If you're going to run 1 1/8" exclusively, though, the E.13 reducers win hands down - lots of benifits.