Quantcast

****Y u no Mondaze GMT?****

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Woke up to massive amounts of blowing snow. Not much work on deck which should give me time to clean up the giant mess in my shop. Need to clean mess so I can start playing with welder and plasma cutter.

Luckily for me, my wife is an excellent painter and demands that she do all the work. I am most grateful.

120-140mm of travel is the sweet spot for me. Besides @buckoW I don't think we need more travel on our daily drivers. More suspension is just more shit I have to push through to shred the bicycle on the gnar.

I would support a verbage change from downcountry to gnarcountry.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Should be making prints, but I don't want to. Stupid @jonKranked and @slyfink have me wasting all my time at work reading about espresso, thanks assholes.

Are you sure they're not just shitting on you for calling it a "downcountry" bike?

130mm-ish travel bikes with good forks, good tires and big brakes are the shit! My TP is occasionally the wrong bike for the job, but it's rare that it's such a bad choice I have to opt out of something.
I think the rest of us just call the aggressive trail bikes.

I want something 130-140mm, 150-160mm fork, 65-66* HA, upright position, good pedaling, and light.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Single bike life, so down from what I have. Which is 160/160 and full fledged Enduro

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

I want something 130-140mm, 150-160mm fork, 65-66* HA, upright position, good pedaling, and light.
But Pinkbike told me it needed a buzzword to be cool, and they know what's cool over there

The Pistola hits that sweet spot for me, need to try a 160mm fork on it just tro try and slacken it a hair more. It isn't particularly light, but given I have over 5lbs of tires on it, it's not offensive either. If My old Carbine 29 were Pistola geometry it would be the perfect bike IMO, same basic build between the two but the Carbine was noticeably lighter, then again I broke it twice, and it's new owner destroyed the rear triangle, so maybe it was too light?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I keep coming back to that SB130 and have an epic build that I could swap over; just need a frame... Now to find one.
that'll be great for riding around Highlands Ranch flat trails with your girls. :D

/me is working today. Ultrasound is the name of the game.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But Pinkbike told me it needed a buzzword to be cool, and they know what's cool over there

The Pistola hits that sweet spot for me, need to try a 160mm fork on it just tro try and slacken it a hair more. It isn't particularly light, but given I have over 5lbs of tires on it, it's not offensive either. If My old Carbine 29 were Pistola geometry it would be the perfect bike IMO, same basic build between the two but the Carbine was noticeably lighter, then again I broke it twice, and it's new owner destroyed the rear triangle, so maybe it was too light?
pistola is top of my list right now, but with a 130/140 fork.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Mine's on a 140mm Helm at the moment, it's 99% perfect, but then there's the 1% of the time I do something really stupid and an extra 20mm and 1° could maybe prevent me taking soil samples with my face. I want to at least give it a try before I do something silly like learn how to ride better.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
180/180 for more than a decade for all the things. nothing else needed or wanted. ever.

did not want to get out of bed. eventually succeeded. managed to make it into the office, do some work, have a lazy lunch including lunchbeers, and now getting a few things done before errands and taking the kiddo to the y. trying to get summer plans sorted out. cold weather looks to be gone for good. highs ranging from 60s to low 80s on tap for the foreseeable future.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Should be making prints, but I don't want to. Stupid @jonKranked and @slyfink have me wasting all my time at work reading about espresso, thanks assholes.

Are you sure they're not just shitting on you for calling it a "downcountry" bike?

130mm-ish travel bikes with good forks, good tires and big brakes are the shit! My TP is occasionally the wrong bike for the job, but it's rare that it's such a bad choice I have to opt out of something.
I had the same thought about downcountry. I too think it's because of the name, not the actual bike.

fwiw, I too am in a rabbit hole with coffee. My wife is displeased with my current grinder because it's so noisy. she is encouraging me to buy something quieter. problem is, something quieter with no loss of quality is in the $1k range.... I really struggle with the notion of dropping $1k on a friggin coffee grinder. But as she points out, it's something I use every day, several times a day... hmmmm.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
that'll be great for riding around Highlands Ranch flat trails with your girls. :D

/me is working today. Ultrasound is the name of the game.
Sure will be easier to ride, that's for sure.

When you dread riding, because riding your bike up hill will suck so bad, you have the wrong bike. I dread riding Backcountry sometimes, just because it's a bitch to ride.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I had the same thought about downcountry. I too think it's because of the name, not the actual bike.

fwiw, I too am in a rabbit hole with coffee. My wife is displeased with my current grinder because it's so noisy. she is encouraging me to buy something quieter. problem is, something quieter with no loss of quality is in the $1k range.... I really struggle with the notion of dropping $1k on a friggin coffee grinder. But as she points out, it's something I use every day, several times a day... hmmmm.
Considering I've never had a cup of the demon brew, I should be rich by now with all my "savings" but alas...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
My “xc” bike is a 15 stumpy evo that I have set up 135/130. It’s probably over kill for my local stuff, would love an aggressive geo 120mm bike but really don’t know what I’d be gaining.
I used to be a hardtail or not bro, but smashed back/hip/pelvis ended that.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Perhaps I shall casually tie a sweater around my neck and meander about for a bit in the woods. I’ll be sure to greet everyone with a clinched jaw and air of superiority. Too bad I don’t possess an ultralight carbon fiber monocle. Pip pip and cheerio gents.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Still riding the pain train bit staying off the meds. I preferencer to feel what is going on.

Also more or less lived up to my age and told a camper van to beat it as it’s illegal to park them on the street in Copenhagen.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Do it in the shed, nobody will care.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Light is questionable. If you smash or hack through things with little travel, something will give..

These are all prime trail bikes...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

Too bad you're in America's Hat and shipping would be a bitch, otherwise I'd lowball the shit out of you on your worthless, loud, and stupid current grinder.

Currently debating the necessity of under cabinet lights, if I ditch them I can put a 2nd GFI in the box my coffee shit is currently plugged into and have separate machine, grinder, drip machine and grinder without playing electrical cord roulette every morning.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
earplugs are a lot cheaper