Quantcast

****Y u no Mondaze GMT?****

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the rest of us just call the aggressive trail bikes.

I want something 130-140mm, 150-160mm fork, 65-66* HA, upright position, good pedaling, and light.

Define light.

I have bikes in the 30-33 lb range and I don't notice the weight difference when climbing. I do notice rolling resistance from tire casing/cushcore. I'd probably feel the same way even with an additional 2lbs in both directions.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Seriously, though, Stoney should rent a properly wookiee-sized e-bike--I'll even cover the rental--and then take a lap of Mountain Lion with me once the snow is gone.

Enjoyment : pain ratio is just much better, and one can titrate the pace to whatever effort level one wants to sustain.

edit: looks like both Commencal and GBS are not doing rentals in this post-COVID era. hmph

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Define light.

I have bikes in the 30-33 lb range and I don't notice the weight difference when climbing. I do notice rolling resistance from tire casing/cushcore. I'd probably feel the same way even with an additional 2lbs in both directions.
Last I checked, the current bike is right around 34#. Another 2# in frame is definitely there if I go carbon. The built is about as light as I can run though. E1700 wheels, be sure I do need the heavier rims. Aluminum bars, because that's just how I roll. Everything else is XT except the Saint brakes, but again a necessity. I can correct some rolling resistance issues by getting a Minion F on again. But overall, there isn't much I can do to lighten up or make this bike better for all-around riding.

Realistically, my build is about as light as I can make last. I just need something that pedals better and is more designed for trail vs. Enduro. I need a bike for the Front Range that I can ride in WP; not a bike for WP that I can did on the Front Range.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Seriously, though, Stoney should rent a properly wookiee-sized e-bike--I'll even cover the rental--and then take a lap of Mountain Lion with me once the snow is gone.

Enjoyment : pain ratio is just much better, and one can titrate the pace to whatever effort level one wants to sustain.

edit: looks like both Commencal and GBS are not doing rentals in this post-COVID era. hmph
I have no issue pedalling. And my pain:enjoyment ratio was fine riding my SB all over the Front Range. It just sucks on the Nukeproof. It's way more fun for Enduro/DH, which I'm not doing, and way less for climbing. Realistically, I should have gotten a Reactor - that would have been the right bike of the two options.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Or you could be a good doctor and hook him up with PEDs so that the climbs will be easier and less painful. ;) :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Helped my denstist purchase some AXS components today. First regular dental checkup in an embarrassingly long time. Dentist said he had never seen anyone who waited that long to not require significant damage repair let alone zero cavities. Harumph, I do take care of myself, I just don't rely on other people to take care of me. I do have to go back for some tartar cleaning.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Got rejected hard by an automated CV review system. Hate those fuckers. I've been trying to shift my specialization to Scripted Development (movies/tv) but since the HR people are mostly morons (sorry to any HR people but I've met 1 competent HR person and 10+ who had no idea what they were doing) the idea is it's better to hire some mediocre producer than someone with experience but not the proper position names in my CV.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Helped my denstist purchase some AXS components today. First regular dental checkup in an embarrassingly long time. Dentist said he had never seen anyone who waited that long to not require significant damage repair let alone zero cavities. Harumph, I do take care of myself, I just don't rely on other people to take care of me. I do have to go back for some tartar cleaning.
I'd say the same, but I just don't go to the dentist. Not in a long while. But I do take absurdly good care of my teeth.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got rejected hard by an automated CV review system. Hate those fuckers. I've been trying to shift my specialization to Scripted Development (movies/tv) but since the HR people are mostly morons (sorry to any HR people but I've met 1 competent HR person and 10+ who had no idea what they were doing) the idea is it's better to hire some mediocre producer than someone with experience but not the proper position names in my CV.
Yeah why any of that is automated is beyond my level of thinking.

A lot can be interpreted from how a CV is written, which is something a computer can't do.

I get it if they request some boxes to be filled out and as part of the validation, if you don't do it correctly, you're skipped over..but don't get a computer to try and do that job.

Our department has also been burned in the past by HR doing 90% of the hiring and interview process, rather than the department manager or technical representative. I'm sure some good candidates have been missed and we've for sure hired some people who checked all of the boxes, but really they weren't suitable for the position.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah why any of that is automated is beyond my level of thinking.

A lot can be interpreted from how a CV is written, which is something a computer can't do.

I get it if they request some boxes to be filled out and as part of the validation, if you don't do it correctly, you're skipped over..but don't get a computer to try and do that job.

Our department has also been burned in the past by HR doing 90% of the hiring and interview process, rather than the department manager or technical representative. I'm sure some good candidates have been missed and we've for sure hired some people who checked all of the boxes, but really they weren't suitable for the position.
The first time I applied for a job at my current company I failed to select that I was a US Person as I had assumed it meant a non citizen resident as I had to answer earlier that I was a US Citizen. As a result I was auto-filtered out and the recruiter never saw my resume. Worked out for me as after the recruiter realized my mistake I applied for a similar job at a higher pay grade and got hired. Most profitable mistake I ever made.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have zero interest in "douchecuntry" bikes as the only trail sections where my ass is handed to me thanks to the bike alone are flat and boring. Unfortunately we have too many of those around these parts.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Today is FTE negotiation day. I think I've done an appropriate amount of research into salary expectations, stoked to see where the conversation goes. I should ask for 4-day work weeks.
Negotiation went well, I think. I was informed that I will be receiving an offer letter for $5k more than the salary I requested.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
but I was fat before the e-bike

and if anything am marginally less fat now
I agree with Toshi, I am definitely fitter and stronger, and have more fun riding on my ebike. I just don’t get the hate. It’s awesome. Ride more trails, every trail is more fun. It’s great.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Had to go to the dentist twice today, checkup and clean and then had to go back again a couple of hours later for a crack to be filled.

Thankfully my dentist is my SIL so zero out of pocket no matter what \o/

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I had the same thought about downcountry. I too think it's because of the name, not the actual bike.

fwiw, I too am in a rabbit hole with coffee. My wife is displeased with my current grinder because it's so noisy. she is encouraging me to buy something quieter. problem is, something quieter with no loss of quality is in the $1k range.... I really struggle with the notion of dropping $1k on a friggin coffee grinder. But as she points out, it's something I use every day, several times a day... hmmmm.
I got the Niche grinder maybe thats something?