Quantcast

****Y u no Mondaze GMT?****

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I got the Niche grinder maybe thats something?
Nice! That's a really great grinder. I think my only issue with it is the conical burrs. I really prefer flat burrs for the flavour profile they emphasize. I figure that at that price, I think I should be able to get exactly what I want! And then there's also the whole pre-order wait list issue that I'm not super keen on... if I went that route, I might just splurge on an Option O Lagom P64...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah why any of that is automated is beyond my level of thinking.

A lot can be interpreted from how a CV is written, which is something a computer can't do.

I get it if they request some boxes to be filled out and as part of the validation, if you don't do it correctly, you're skipped over..but don't get a computer to try and do that job.

Our department has also been burned in the past by HR doing 90% of the hiring and interview process, rather than the department manager or technical representative. I'm sure some good candidates have been missed and we've for sure hired some people who checked all of the boxes, but really they weren't suitable for the position.
Companies have too small budgets for HR so HR people dont have time to read CVS. Hiring managers dont give clear enough instructions and HR people dont understand the skillset. This is super weird though since the skillset is incredibly small. There are maybe 10 people in the country doing this.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice! That's a really great grinder. I think my only issue with it is the conical burrs. I really prefer flat burrs for the flavour profile they emphasize. I figure that at that price, I think I should be able to get exactly what I want! And then there's also the whole pre-order wait list issue that I'm not super keen on... if I went that route, I might just splurge on an Option O Lagom P64...
If good enough for James

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If good enough for James

yeah, that's what set me on the path to single dosing grinders... He's also reviewed one of the grinders I'm considering, directly against the Niche...

I know he says he still prefers the Niche, but mostly because of the workflow, not the end result "coffee in the cup". I feel like I can live with the workflow issues on the DF64. And from other comparisons I've read, build quality between the two is pretty close. The main advantage of the DF64 is I don't have to get on a waitlist... I could order it today if I were so inclined.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
yeah, that's what set me on the path to single dosing grinders... He's also reviewed one of the grinders I'm considering, directly against the Niche...

I know he says he still prefers the Niche, but mostly because of the workflow, not the end result "coffee in the cup". I feel like I can live with the workflow issues on the DF64. And from other comparisons I've read, build quality between the two is pretty close. The main advantage of the DF64 is I don't have to get on a waitlist... I could order it today if I were so inclined.
It's not difficult to get the Niche anymore.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It's not difficult to get the Niche anymore.
hmmm... thanks for that. I went and had a look. I'm looking at $770 CAD + duty and brokerage. I'm not familiar with their shipper (DPD), so I don't know what their brokerage policy is. Couldn't find any info about it on Niche's or DPD's websites. It's potentially such a huge cost, that I'm not really willing to risk it. Also, no shipping till May.

I can get the DF64 from within Canada for $660... seems much simpler.

But really, it comes down to conical vs flat burrs. I pretty much never do anything other than espresso. And most of the time, I'm using the same beans too. So I don't switch between grind settings - I'm more of a set and forget kind of guy. James has access to world class espresso equipment outside his home. I've heard him say that he can put up with less than perfect espresso at home as a result, and prioritizes workflow to keep things quick, clean and simple. He's also said he tends to prefer pour-over brewing at home anyways... Whereas my home setup is pretty much all I have, and I want to optimize it for my preferences. Especially if I'm dropping that kind of coin on it...

But still... that Niche is seriously nice... hmmm

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hmmm... thanks for that. I went and had a look. I'm looking at $770 CAD + duty and brokerage. I'm not familiar with their shipper (DPD), so I don't know what their brokerage policy is. Couldn't find any info about it on Niche's or DPD's websites. It's potentially such a huge cost, that I'm not really willing to risk it. Also, no shipping till May.

I can get the DF64 from within Canada for $660... seems much simpler.

But really, it comes down to conical vs flat burrs. I pretty much never do anything other than espresso. And most of the time, I'm using the same beans too. So I don't switch between grind settings - I'm more of a set and forget kind of guy. James has access to world class espresso equipment outside his home. I've heard him say that he can put up with less than perfect espresso at home as a result, and prioritizes workflow to keep things quick, clean and simple. He's also said he tends to prefer pour-over brewing at home anyways... Whereas my home setup is pretty much all I have, and I want to optimize it for my preferences. Especially if I'm dropping that kind of coin on it...

But still... that Niche is seriously nice... hmmm
i will say for morning convenience having a built in scale and grinding straight into the portafilter has been very nice with my sette.

also we have a coffee thread. several actually, but this is the longest one.