Quantcast

Yamaha Gearbox Bike?

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
damn thats a wheel base, and that mother is not under 45lbs maybe even 50.
i don't get why compaiys that do gear-box bikes flip the drive and brake side of the rear wheel, so that so much of the bike isn't compatable with "normal" stuff, so the bike is a bitch to work on, and so you can't find parts for it anywhere. if they'd just flip the crank arms and put the drive side on the left then it would be so much easier to find parts for. right?

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
ut-oh, im just waiting for the kawa/suzuki group to jump in, and them ktm will come,

but it could mean lower prices for us

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
spacemanspiff06 said:
damn thats a wheel base, and that mother is not under 45lbs maybe even 50.
i don't get why compaiys that do gear-box bikes flip the drive and brake side of the rear wheel, so that so much of the bike isn't compatable with "normal" stuff, so the bike is a bitch to work on, and so you can't find parts for it anywhere. if they'd just flip the crank arms and put the drive side on the left then it would be so much easier to find parts for. right?
what's different? you dont need a der... your chain can go that way. the teeth on a single speed cog dont need directional ramps or anything. stuff being on the left doesnt make it a bitch to work on so far as i can tell, or make parts harder to find. your eSpeculation powers are far superior to mine though so i honestly dont know.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
WhiteRavenKS said:
what's different? you dont need a der... your chain can go that way. the teeth on a single speed cog dont need directional ramps or anything. stuff being on the left doesnt make it a bitch to work on so far as i can tell, or make parts harder to find. your eSpeculation powers are far superior to mine though so i honestly dont know.
it has to do with the rohloff rotation and what space is left for
the chain to go back to the wheel.

soon we will find rear hubs and breaks for gearbox bikes.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
bcd said:
it has to do with the rohloff rotation and what space is left for
the chain to go back to the wheel.

soon we will find rear hubs and breaks for gearbox bikes.

As long as the g-box bikes come down in price and they become more and more popular.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Just wait till Hayes starts rolling their new gearboxes out... Everybody and their pet monkey will have one on their newly designed bikes.
I've also heard rumours over here about Shimano working on new heavy-duty Nexus-like toys.

I'm thinking the derailer will be dead in less than 10 years? At least on mountainbikes...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zahgurim said:
Just wait till Hayes starts rolling their new gearboxes out... Everybody and their pet monkey will have one on their newly designed bikes.
I've also heard rumours over here about Shimano working on new heavy-duty Nexus-like toys.

I'm thinking the derailer will be dead in less than 10 years? At least on mountainbikes...
Hmmmm...do you know if the Nexus system is still going to be offered as a rear hub?

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
WhiteRavenKS said:
The only thing that seems like it would be different is the adapter for the disc break, and since most mounts are universal it seems like the maker of the bike would just make adapters that fit the frame and easily mounted to the caliper....and couldn't you just flip the rotor and modify the freewheel to catch in the other direction?

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
SD_TMTB said:
The only thing that seems like it would be different is the adapter for the disc break, and since most mounts are universal it seems like the maker of the bike would just make adapters that fit the frame and easily mounted to the caliper....and couldn't you just flip the rotor and modify the freewheel to catch in the other direction?
exactly. see i would think that stuff being on the opposite side has nothing to do with any of it being harder to work on. i would think the fact that it's a bunch of new gearbox specific parts would be what might be the hassel. nothing about where they are put. i dont know. yay for companies pushing new things.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Percy said:
Lahar managed to get the drive and rear chains on the same side of a Rohloff, so I dont know why anyone else cant?
Nicolai already did in the past and now they're doing the opposite side thing. Might be a question of it being a cleaner frame by having the chain on the brake side.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
the Hayes transmission is not really a gearbox is it? I thought it was just a derailleur and cassette tucked away...not a true gearbox....D

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
BMXman said:
the Hayes transmission is not really a gearbox is it? I thought it was just a derailleur and cassette tucked away...not a true gearbox....D
Well, it'd a binch of gears tucked away in a box, soooooo...... ;)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ChrisRobin said:
Nicolai already did in the past and now they're doing the opposite side thing. Might be a question of it being a cleaner frame by having the chain on the brake side.
yeah, you guys dont realize how tricky it can be designing around a standard drivetrain, let alone a complicated mechanism like that. The Lahar bike might have had to comprimise something, like chainline, suspension design, sealing, etc. Just for a simple jackshaft system, its awkward having the primary and secondary chains on the same side without having interference or a messed chainline. Thats why BMW probably went through the trouble of using left hand drive cranks.

I'm pretty sure they started with the idea of using the normal right hand side.....so yeah i guess you guys dont understand :dancing: :p

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Well it does have custom bits on the Rohloff, but nothing too tricky, it is quite bulky in the middle around the hub, but its not really in a place that matters.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
yeah, you guys dont realize how tricky it can be designing around a standard drivetrain, let alone a complicated mechanism like that. The Lahar bike might have had to comprimise something, like chainline, suspension design, sealing, etc. Just for a simple jackshaft system, its awkward having the primary and secondary chains on the same side without having interference or a messed chainline. Thats why BMW probably went through the trouble of using left hand drive cranks.

I'm pretty sure they started with the idea of using the normal right hand side.....so yeah i guess you guys dont understand :dancing: :p
Don't worry, I understand. I helped you make your frame, didn't I? ;)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Rik said:
For abusive riding, maybe... but you won't see derailleurs dissapear from anything other than the gravity-propelled market for a long while.

not if i can help it..............xc is where the $$ is

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Calling it a Yamaha is a bit of a strech... Their crappy scooters are far off the similar Yamaha's scooters/small bikes for example.

Its a bit like calling a Proton a Lotus :)

Their MTB's to date (been going for years) have been that special at all. That said I do like the DH1000, looks like a step in the right direction.
Anyone know how much it'll cost?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
bcd said:
not if i can help it..............xc is where the $$ is
It would have to be a pretty light setup for XCers to embrace a gearbox... like having the shell made of carbon ;) , or the shell being integrated directly into the frame, with the guts themselves being placed in? Let me know what you come up with, this is something I'm really interested in!