Quantcast

Yankees down 2-0! Yeah!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That sucked. I got home from work just in time to watch the carnage in the 5th.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
This series has been a blast to watch, I've got to admit. I like the way the Indians (and the Rockies for that matter) don't bank on huge big ball hitters and get it done with a single here, a single there, stolen bases and occasional big hits.

Makes for exciting baseball.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
This series has been a blast to watch, I've got to admit. I like the way the Indians (and the Rockies for that matter) don't bank on huge big ball hitters and get it done with a single here, a single there, stolen bases and occasional big hits.

Makes for exciting baseball.
they had two HRs in the only inning they scored in last night. :twitch:

the sox are digging their own grave for sure, but i'd imagine a partial observer would comment that the sox seem to have less breaks going for them than the indians...count how many balls have been scorched right @ defenders...they aren't doing such a good job of baseball's maxim...'hit 'em where they ain't'

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
they had two HRs in the only inning they scored in last night. :twitch:

the sox are digging their own grave for sure, but i'd imagine a partial observer would comment that the sox seem to have less breaks going for them than the indians...count how many balls have been scorched right @ defenders...they aren't doing such a good job of baseball's maxim...'hit 'em where they ain't'
True, last night was a big HR night for both sides. Throughout the ALCS and ALDS the Injuns relied more on everyone chipping in to get the runs they need.

I think a big part of all this is defense. Boston's been playing great D, but the mistakes they do make are exploited pretty heavily. Same with Cleveland.

Youkilis dropping that foul ball might have been the turning point of last night's game.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Youkilis dropping that foul ball might have been the turning point of last night's game.
Why? If he hadn't dropped it, a run would have scored. The fact that he did drop it meant the play was dead and the base runner had to head back to third. If he caught it cleanly, the runner wouldn't have gone.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
True, last night was a big HR night for both sides. Throughout the ALCS and ALDS the Injuns relied more on everyone chipping in to get the runs they need.

I think a big part of all this is defense. Boston's been playing great D, but the mistakes they do make are exploited pretty heavily. Same with Cleveland.

how about that liner back up the middle, which Wakefield couldn't grab? you certainly can't fault him for trying to catch it, but had he missed, Pedroia was *right* there to catch it behind him...those are the sorts of breaks that are not going boston's way. again, this isn't an apology...coco crisp and julio lugo can not hit the ball out of the infield...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
how about that liner back up the middle, which Wakefield couldn't grab? you certainly can't fault him for trying to catch it, but had he missed, Pedroia was *right* there to catch it behind him...those are the sorts of breaks that are not going boston's way. again, this isn't an apology...coco crisp and julio lugo can not hit the ball out of the infield...
True, you can't really blame Wakefield for that either, that would have been a sure way out of the inning.

It seems like most of the Sox order is slumping at the moment. To be honest, this is NOT what I expected out of the ALCS (although I'm thrilled with the result.)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If he had caught it and the run scored, the next out would have ended the 5th and limited the damage to 2 (or 3, can't remember.)
I think it was 2. And the guy who would have scored if that ball had been caught scored anyway.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I wish ESPN would STFU about Joe Torre. It is football season afterall.
Manager of the Yankees is the biggest coaching job in sports and it's not even close. There aren't any marquee NFL matchups to bump this from the top story. This is good though because if the Red Sox lose tonight, this Torre story will take away from some of that attention tomorrow.

:picsstfu:

#1 draft pick for the Rams in '08, mofos.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Manager of the Yankees is the biggest coaching job in sports and it's not even close. There aren't any marquee NFL matchups to bump this from the top story. This is good though because if the Red Sox lose tonight, this Torre story will take away from some of that attention tomorrow.

:picsstfu:

#1 draft pick for the Rams in '08, mofos.

No seriously though, the world series is about to start, there's NFL football going on. The Redsox are imploding...and WTF is ESPN going on about nonstop? The effing Yankoffs! Ihate it.
It's like when Brett Favre held a press conference the week of the superbowl to let the world know he WASNT retiring. Manufacturing drama to keep their mugs on TV.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No seriously though, the world series is about to start, there's NFL football going on. The Redsox are imploding...and WTF is ESPN going on about nonstop? The effing Yankoffs! Ihate it.
It's like when Brett Favre held a press conference the week of the superbowl to let the world know he WASNT retiring. Manufacturing drama to keep their mugs on TV.
The NFC West focking sucks. I'm not sure where that fits into this discussion, but it's worth noting.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I havn't been watching ESPN, but in general I agree. STFU if all you're going to say is that nothing has happened yet. If he gets canned, yeah, go ahead an discuss. Ditto if he gets resigned. Until then, I'd like to hear about stuff that's actually happening, not random speculation/ gossip.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Manny is a douchebag.

Ortiz friggin' trucked it from first to home on that ball, and the best Manny could manage was first base.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
2 outs and ortiz is running on anything.

that call was blown. the replay clearly showed the ball hitting the back edge of that yellow border. isn't that thing made of foam/rubber?

how could the ball bounce FORWARD when hitting the back edge of foam? the wall behind the yellow edge is sloped back TOWARDS the field. high fly ball, hitting that, yeah...i can see it coming back onto the field.