Quantcast

yarrrr weve captured ye armored booty

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Seriously, pirates!

Somali pirates seized the Faina, a Belize-flagged vessel with a crew of 17 Ukrainians, three Russians and one Latvian, on Sept. 25, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said. It was carrying at least 30 Soviet-designed T-72 tanks to Kenya.

The Faina's Russian captain, Vladimir Kolobkov, died after the pirates seized the ship, Nikolsky said. He added that there are currently about 50 armed pirates on board, and confirmed there are about 20 crew.

``The negotiations will start, not yet started,'' Nikolsky said, speaking in broken English. ``I call on that the negotiation will be success, if not I will not sure what will be with my crew. They are demanding 20 million U.S. dollars for liberation.''
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=aLdKkAspo_EA&refer=africa

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
theres a bunch o crap already there and has been going on for a few days now.

Apparently 60 some odd ships have been hijacked in this region over the last year.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
When will Steven Seagal emerge from the hijacked ship's galley to start the smackdown?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Okay this is a job I wouldn't mind having....

http://www.kyivpost.com/nation/29977

Pirate spokesman Sugule Ali said Sunday that "planes" had been flying overhead. Ali said he was speaking from the deck of the Faina via a satellite phone _ and verified his location by handing the phone over to the ship's captain, who also spoke with the AP.
Though I do wonder what the hell somebody in that part of Africa needs tanks for... I'm guessing MikeD is up to no good.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Pirates are out of control...

http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Article.aspx?id=851953

A tense standoff has developed in waters off Somalia over an Iranian merchant ship laden with a mysterious cargo that was hijacked by pirates.

Somali pirates suffered skin burns, lost hair and fell gravely ill “within days” of boarding the MV Iran Deyanat. Some of them died.

Andrew Mwangura, the director of the East African Seafarers’ Assistance Programme, told the Sunday Times: “We don’t know exactly how many, but the information that I am getting is that some of them had died. There is something very wrong about that ship.”
Hmm. I bet they just didn't eat their lima beans.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
last I heard they reduced the ransom down to $5M, but its still ongoing. The ship owner has also said he just wants his boat and crew back and they can do whatever they want with the cargo.

the pictures are getting better though

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Steve Zissou could get us out of this mess.

I say we give JBP a red cap, a speedo, and a Glock and let him sort it out.