Quantcast

((((YASSTURDSDAY))))

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey WFH people, what is your take on muting the video during fairly small Zoom meetings? Not that I’m pulling a Tobin or anything, but I am noticing most people are muting video, and I am sure we all look like crap at 9:00 am.
just curious, and I can’t wait for the helpful replies.
Unless it's essential to see facial expressions and engagement of your audience, I don't want to see your face. If i'm giving you your year end review, please turn it on so I can smile at your sadness.

i mean watch you appreciate my feedback.

one i guess "upside" to the car accident is that our income has dropped enough that we qualify for a lot of deductions we didn't previously, and it bumped us into a lower tax bracket.
One year, BIG BIOTECH was particularly good to us and it bumped us just over the next tax bracket. Totally fucked our tax and we went from being where we should be (breaking even EOY) to owing 10k. THAT was a hard one :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless it's essential to see facial expressions and engagement of your audience, I don't want to see your face. If i'm giving you your year end review, please turn it on so I can smile at your sadness.

i mean watch you appreciate my feedback.

One year, BIG BIOTECH was particularly good to us and it bumped us just over the next tax bracket. Totally fucked our tax and we went from being where we should be (breaking even EOY) to owing 10k. THAT was a hard one :(
You know that when you get bumped into the higher bracket, you only pay the increased tax rate for the amount in that bracket.

Everyone pays 12% on the fiirst $40K they make, then 22% on the next 40K or so. You wouldn't pay 22% on the first 80K.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You know that when you get bumped into the higher bracket, you only pay the increased tax rate for the amount in that bracket.

Everyone pays 12% on the fiirst $40K they make, then 22% on the next 40K or so. You wouldn't pay 22% on the first 80K.
the increase likely made him ineligible for certain deductions as well.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the increase likely made him ineligible for certain deductions as well.
but those phase out over a range. No sudden jumps that'd raise marginal rate on the last X dollars past 100% certainly.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Hey WFH people, what is your take on muting the video during fairly small Zoom meetings? Not that I’m pulling a Toobin or anything, but I am noticing most people are muting video, and I am sure we all look like crap at 9:00 am.
Parroting pretty much what everyone else has already said: no big deal to turn the video off. I have everything from 1:1 meetings with my boss or the senior designer on my project, to our daily team meetings with ~20 people, up to massive 50+ person lunch and learns... and video is never mandatory. I tend to have video going on my weekly 1:1 meetings with my boss, but not generally anywhere else. Corporate culture differs from company to company, which may factor in to this. But my boss recently brought some insight to our team about "staying sane at work while WFH" during these Covid times and one thing mentioned was definitely don't be shy about turning that video off during meetings, sometimes you just need to dial it back some.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
agreed. i'll be on a call with 15+ people, NOBODY has their camera on.
yep same.

The only people that turn on the cameras in our internal meetings are from Germany/Austria.

Or from Microsoft when they do their Teams training.

Other than that, cameras are off. Mine has a piece of tape over it, so even if I turn it on, diddly shit will be seen. :)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Parroting pretty much what everyone else has already said: no big deal to turn the video off. I have everything from 1:1 meetings with my boss or the senior designer on my project, to our daily team meetings with ~20 people, up to massive 50+ person lunch and learns... and video is never mandatory. I tend to have video going on my weekly 1:1 meetings with my boss, but not generally anywhere else. Corporate culture differs from company to company, which may factor in to this. But my boss recently brought some insight to our team about "staying sane at work while WFH" during these Covid times and one thing mentioned was definitely don't be shy about turning that video off during meetings, sometimes you just need to dial it back some.
Ditto. Only time I'm on video is my 1-on-1. Otherwise I find it unnecessary and distracting.

Also, yes to mute. At all times except when actively speaking. Nobody needs to hear you mouth breathing, typing, fiddling with your mic, or whatever other background noise is going on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This is a common misconception perpetuated by people who wish to demonize a progressive tax rate.
well, @Sandwich is technically an idiot so there's that.

Thank you for the info on tax brackets. What actually happened was that we forgot a W2 in our initial filing and had to refile with it. That income pushed us into another tax bracket. So, I thought it was because we moved up a bracket, but I guess it was more likely because we didn't have the correct withholdings...or something. if you tax addicts want to explain, I'm all ears...this is why I pay somebody else to do it- I'd rather focus on bike parts.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey WFH people, what is your take on muting the video during fairly small Zoom meetings? Not that I’m pulling a Toobin or anything, but I am noticing most people are muting video, and I am sure we all look like crap at 9:00 am.
Nobody ever turns their cameras on for this company, exception being my boss's weekly staff meeting. Otherwise, video stays off. Microphones are all muted too unless you are speaking. With everyone working from home, there's a lot of background noise. For me, that noise is the CAT insisting on being heard, and whatever movie I have on in the background.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

Thank you for the info on tax brackets. What actually happened was that we forgot a W2 in our initial filing and had to refile with it. That income pushed us into another tax bracket. So, I thought it was because we moved up a bracket, but I guess it was more likely because we didn't have the correct withholdings...or something. if you tax addicts want to explain, I'm all ears...this is why I pay somebody else to do it- I'd rather focus on bike parts.
Yes, sounds like a withholding problem. With the brackets one will never have the situation where the extra dollar earned doesn't result in less than, say, 65 cents being ultimately as income. (State tax may take away up to an extra 10%, sure, but marginal rate never approaches 100% or exceeds it as is the implication of "muh brackets jumped" statements.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Thank you for the info on tax brackets. What actually happened was that we forgot a W2 in our initial filing and had to refile with it. That income pushed us into another tax bracket. So, I thought it was because we moved up a bracket, but I guess it was more likely because we didn't have the correct withholdings...or something. if you tax addicts want to explain, I'm all ears...this is why I pay somebody else to do it- I'd rather focus on neon bike parts.
fixed.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@Sandwich

The way to look at this is stacking your paid tax dollars. Let's say your household income is $200k, filed joint.
Stack 1: $19,750*10% = $1,975
Stack 2: ($80,250-19,750)*12% = $7,260
Stack 3: ($171,050-80,250)*22%= $19,976
Stack 4: ($200,000-171,050)*24%= $6,948

Your total taxes (not including deductions) would be $36,159 or 18% effective rate.
Screenshot_20210304-114908.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fuck deductions nonsense.

I preferred the UK, where you didn't have to file anything unless you were running a business...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Fuck deductions nonsense.

I preferred the UK, where you didn't have to file anything unless you were running a business...
Agree. You wanted kids? Good on you, pay their full price. You wanted a house on mtge? Congratulations, you pay the full amt. We both make $xx/yr. Just because you decided to go into debt and breed doesn't mean I should pay the govt more. If anything (in Libertarian land) YOU should pay more because I'm not paying for kids in public school.