Quantcast

yay, 2nd amendment...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rooftest said:
Now you're starting the "people shoot people because TV tells them to" argument, which I think is a bunch of crap. I still see people smoking since they banned ads on TV. :think:
violence-free? c'mon....
I spoke too quickly about banning images of violence on TV. I am not for censorship and the point I was trying to make was that banning guns is easier than banning violent images (but both are impossible).

Violence-Free Society? One can hope...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
rooftest said:
violence-free? c'mon....
Just because something is very difficult to obtain, does not make the process of trying to achieve it any less worthy. In fact it makes it more so.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Note the huge suicide rates in France, Germany, Denmark, etc.

Those stats are almost 10 years old, though.

As for a violence-free society, that's as achievable as one without sickness or death...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rooftest said:
Note the huge suicide rates in France, Germany, Denmark, etc.

Those stats are almost 10 years old, though.

As for a violence-free society, that's as achievable as one without sickness or death...
One thing I realized after studying stats is that is hard to gather them. Almost all the studies I found were from 10 years ago, somewhat near the last census.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
considering statistics...i KNOW you guys are smart enough to realize that stats can be manipulated to suit ones agenda...(this can apply to either side of the 'fence' obviously)

just throwing that out there

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I think the point some people are trying to make is that the U.S. is violence obsessed. T.V., Video games, movies, magazines. Canada has almost the same level of gun ownership as the U.S., but a murder rate that's 18% of the States. It's because, many people think, violence is culturally frowned upon and not tolerated form childhood to the adult world. It isn't glorified.

In the U.S. Movies and T.V. are violent because that's what people want, they want the drama and action. But that same violent content also indoctrinates children into a culture of violence so it repeats over and over. New films and shows have to more gory, more violent to attract a jaded population. While T.V. doesn't make a person shoot another person, it does lower the point at which violence is considered acceptable by repeatedly showing it, to the point that it's considered normal. I am not supporting censorship, in any form, but at some point people have to wake up to the problem.

People kill people, Guns in America are just a symptom of a problem. They make violence easier. I'm not automatically condeming someone for owning a gun. There a lot of legitimate uses for guns, target shooting, hunting, trap shooting and others, including sometimes protection.

just my 2 cents worth.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Reactor said:
I think the point some people are trying to make is that the U.S. is violence obsessed. T.V., Video games, movies, magazines. Canada has almost the same level of gun ownership as the U.S., but a murder rate that's 18% of the States. It's because, many people think, violence is culturally frowned upon and not tolerated form childhood to the adult world. It isn't glorified.
I think the gun ownership rate is a little deceptive. Tons of rifles, but in Canada it is a LOT harder to get a handgun.

Other than that, the culture isn't that different. Canadians consume the same violent games, movies, and magazines. I think the biggest difference is the fact that it's a bitch to carry a rifle with you everwhere you go.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Maybe it should be illegal to sell whole bullets and guns. You have to buy parts and make your own. It would be illegal to retail a complete, or partially assembled bullet. People would have to own little bullet presses and idiots would inevitably have their hands blown off so they wouldn't be able to get mad and shoot people. That would make it more effort and maybe reduce killings as it wouldn't be so casual. Kinda like Chris Rock said, makes bullets more expensive.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If these statistics were not available via google, I would never bring them up. Even though I think gun control is a good idea, I never argue it because it is a confusing issue because there are provable points on both sides...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
sanjuro said:
How's Iraq? Or Afganistan? On the other hand, "... the U.S. has a higher homicide rate than any Western European nation." http://www.haciendapub.com/stolinsky.html

Interesting link.

He lost me when he put "euthanized" into quotes and wondered if those stats threw off the Netherlands numbers. However you feel about euthanasia, unless they euthanise with a firearm, it doesn't really apply to this situation, y'know? :D

Moving to the homicide data, we recall that America is often said to have the highest homicide rate of any "civilized," "Western," "industrialized," or "advanced" nation. Do those who make such claims believe that Mexico is uncivilized, Brazil is not in the Western Hemisphere, Russia is not industrialized, or Ukraine is retarded?

Well, when I think of first world countries, I don't think of Russia with Putin and the oligarchs, Mexico with rampant corruption, Brazil with huge income disparities and off duty cops killing begging children. I don't know enough about the Ukraine to comment, but it's safe to say a former Soviet Bloc country might need a few more years. None of those countries are in the top 70 in GDP per head in PPP according to my handy little Economist book either...so why bring them up?