Quantcast

yay, another CA law [caution: bike content]

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
but this one ain't so bad:

New Los Angeles law bans harassing bicyclists
LOS ANGELES -- A new Los Angeles law makes it a crime for motorists to harass bicyclists, verbally or physically.

The City Council approved the ordinance on Wednesday. It also allows victims of harassment to file civil lawsuits without waiting for the city to press criminal charges.

League of American Bicyclists president Andy Clarke calls the law groundbreaking, saying no other city in the nation offers bicyclists an equivalent civil recourse.

Bicycle advocates have complained that motorists throw objects, shout insults and try to run them off the road.

The Los Angeles Times says census figures showed in 2008 that about 13,000 people commute to work on bicycles in Los Angeles.
does "commute to work" include riding from the homeless shelter to the home depot pkg lot?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't care about someone yelling "faggot" at me, but once you throw something at me, you're getting a full water bottle bounced off your car, hopefully in a place where it dents.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
lemme guess: on your messenger bag you have a sticker that reads "if you're going to ride my ass, you better be pulling my hair"

you better bring sanj w/ you -- kid don't play when it's wilding season

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
lemme guess: on your messenger bag you have a sticker that reads "if you're going to ride my ass, you better be pulling my hair"

I have a messenger bag, but I think the last time I used it was riding to physiotherapy. I live in the best county on the planet, when I commute I don't ride a bicycle like a peasant in China.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How would you enforce something like that? Hope you get a plate number before they speed off? Or are they counting on the fact a bike travels at a higher average rate of speed than a car in LA?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

someone needs to photo chop sanjuro's face wearing the bandana pic over ike's in this pic...but leave in the afro.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
oooohhh....scaaaary!
Mah cleats are made of plastic. Not really great for kicking, and I don't carry a wrench in my pockets.

I just like to let 'em know I'm there. It's usually jackass teenagers in nice neighborhoods. Oddly enough, I can ride through Hawaiian Gardens and never hear a peep...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
How would you enforce something like that? Hope you get a plate number before they speed off? Or are they counting on the fact a bike travels at a higher average rate of speed than a car in LA?
This is how I'd plan on doing it. Ride around with that thing strapped to my helmet, wait for someone to mouth off/throw something and then take them to court. Could probably make a living off of it like Westboro Church.

Remember: It also allows victims of harassment to file civil lawsuits without waiting for the city to press criminal charges.

You get the guy screaming at you on camera, you alert the police and then immediately have Dirt McGirk send a kindly worded letter threatening a lawsuit.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is how I'd plan on doing it. Ride around with that thing strapped to my helmet, wait for someone to mouth off/throw something and then take them to court. Could probably make a living off of it like Westboro Church.

Remember: It also allows victims of harassment to file civil lawsuits without waiting for the city to press criminal charges.

You get the guy screaming at you on camera, you alert the police and then immediately have Dirt McGirk send a kindly worded letter threatening a lawsuit.
I've seen more and more local roadies riding with gopro's on their helmets. It makes total sense from a safety point of view, especially if there is an accident of any sort.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I've seen more and more local roadies riding with gopro's on their helmets. It makes total sense from a safety point of view, especially if there is an accident of any sort.
I've been thinking about doing this for my moto + bike commuting escapades. Problem is I'd need to edit out the lanesplitting else get nabbed for that potentially… :shocked:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
in other jurisdictions, if you do not wait, is that barratry/harassment?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've been thinking about doing this for my moto + bike commuting escapades. Problem is I'd need to edit out the lanesplitting else get nabbed for that potentially… :shocked:
Lane splitting is legal in CA, so no issue there. As long as you play by the rules of the road, you're fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lane splitting is legal in CA, so no issue there. As long as you play by the rules of the road, you're fine.
I don't live in CA, last I checked.
delete / overwrite every day ;)
Ideally, for the car at least, I'd want something that just has a 30 minute buffer that's being constantly overwritten, and either a g-force meter and/or a button to push to stop and save once an incident actually occurred. (I'm unlikely to ever post a Youtube video of my commute in a car, that's for sure. :D)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ideally, for the car at least, I'd want something that just has a 30 minute buffer that's being constantly overwritten, and either a g-force meter and/or a button to push to stop and save once an incident actually occurred. (I'm unlikely to ever post a Youtube video of my commute in a car, that's for sure. :D)
Have you seen your blog?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The closest I've come is that video of me riding circles in the parking lot, which actually has ~1000 hits on Youtube at the moment. Who would've thunk it? :D

I fail to see how the view out my Honda Fit's dashboard in traffic would be entertaining or educational.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

Pssshhhh, sajnura rolls around with some poser ass timbuk2 bag. I can vouche that he's a big puss on the bike

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you need this shirt.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pssshhhh, sajnura rolls around with some poser ass timbuk2 bag. I can vouche that he's a big puss on the bike
On the streets, I'm 10x the man you wish you could be.

Put this way: I ride a bad-ass GT Peace 9r SS on Market Street, you ride a faggy Cinelli fixie to In-N-Out in the 'burbs.

Attachments

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
On the streets, I'm 10x the man you wish you could be.

Put this way: I ride a bad-ass GT Peace 9r SS on Market Street, you ride a faggy Cinelli fixie to In-N-Out in the 'burbs.
A 29er???? HAHAHA SICK!!!! I bet you have ergon grips for it too!!!!!

let's have a race, me on my mash, you on your seven, to in-n-out and back.

As well, when I win I expect you to pay for the grilled cheese I stopped to eat while you were behind me.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A 29er???? HAHAHA SICK!!!! I bet you have ergon grips for it too!!!!!

let's have a race, me on my mash, you on your seven, to in-n-out and back.

As well, when I win I expect you to pay for the grilled cheese I stopped to eat while you were behind me.
Why don't we have a ride down 3rd Street and see who survives.