Quantcast

YAY, E-bikes!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
View attachment 136414

That POS has been around for a while. Only sold to hipsters, too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ok, so this feature might be a common one but yesterday we were doing pushes up a hill to session a jump and one guy has an ebike. And get this - it has a walk feature. It auto-detects that you're pushing it up something and drives itself so you basically just steer it and walk beside it.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
now you can watch him get fat
Yeah man, I hope so. I can't afford a seperate e-bike either. But this dude is actually relatively fit and runs an e-bike to get the most bang for his buck out of the 2 hours a week he has to ride. But we still call him e-bike wanker.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, so this feature might be a common one but yesterday we were doing pushes up a hill to session a jump and one guy has an ebike. And get this - it has a walk feature. It auto-detects that you're pushing it up something and drives itself so you basically just steer it and walk beside it.
It doesn’t auto detect that. Instead (for Shimano) one shifts down modes back to Off, then holds the ”go down another mode” button for a few seconds and that kicks it into Walk mode, then once in that mode holding down that “go down mode” button will drive the motor at 2 mph without pedal input.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Toshi

There's no need to shift down modes with Shimano E7000/8000 simply hold the mode down shift button for a second or so until the display says WALK. then let go and press and hold it again and the motor turns. If you let go of the button it stops the motor. until you hold it again.

it's a pretty pointless gimicky feature unless you have some sort of disability.

it only turns the motor at a set speed so in order to get it to WALK at actual walking pace you need to shift up the cassette to somewhere around 36x15.
had you been climbing and stopped because the gradient became too steep or the trail too technical you'd likely be in the 37 or 46T at the other end of the cassette meaning you need to change gears right through the cassette for it to be of any use.
Most of the time by the time you've fucked about with this pointless feature you could have already pushed unassisted up the fucking climb. They're only 15lb heavier trail bikes FFS

@toodles those must be some steep ass jumps if the Ebike guy couldn't ride up the side of them to the start again.
Pics of jumps always go down well in Ebike threads ;)

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
I live on the first floor of a building and I use the walk mode every day to climb one set of stairs, The bike doesn't fit very well on the elevator and climbing the stairs it's not too difficult, so It's the best option. On the trail it doesn't work very well, and having to shift gears is a pain in the ass.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles those must be some steep ass jumps if the Ebike guy couldn't ride up the side of them to the start again.
Pics of jumps always go down well in Ebike threads ;)
Its not a particularly steep run in, but its really slippery and loose gravel. I think having the bike pull itself up slightly might be nice there just to make the difference on whether your feet slip or not on the trudge back up. We don't have steep hills around here much, but we certainly do have loose AF dirt in places.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Devil’s Advocacy, perhaps?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Devil’s Advocacy, perhaps?

Can you pls give a tl;dr of the article?

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Old lady bought a City Ebike and is having a lot of fun riding around a small town in Maine...
You have to be a fucking nazi to be against it.

descarga.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, that's a Renault Twizy (or whatever the Nissan name is). Those are ~10k Euros, iirc. 100% fraudulent site.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Oops, I see it was already posted. Still, that kind of excitement needs extra attention.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Even the UCI hate Ebikers

Poor guy genuinely seems to believe he's won something valid.

UCI be like