Quantcast

YAY, E-bikes!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Just gonna slide in here and point out that basically no other country is making such a big deal out of ebikes vs acoustic bikes. Just share the trails and don’t be a dick.
Reading this thread I cannot help but think this is some Classic American 1/0 Othering going on. Just gotta find that Other! And shout at them! STUPID OTHERS! I’M RIGHT!
Thank you for sliding in here. Sliding into stuff is great. Sliding is so great in America that Trump slid into the White House, believe it or not! We'd much rather sliding than skidding, and acoustic over electric too, Fwiw.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Seriously, why have pedals on that thing? Must be for some weird EU registration rules, because it makes no sense otherwise.
The designer posted it on a Sur-ron forum and I told him it needs to lose the pedals. They make it ride worse and trying to "grey area" it into being allowed where motorcycles aren't is a bad policy.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just gonna slide in here and point out that basically no other country is making such a big deal out of ebikes vs acoustic bikes. Just share the trails and don’t be a dick.
Reading this thread I cannot help but think this is some Classic American 1/0 Othering going on. Just gotta find that Other! And shout at them! STUPID OTHERS! I’M RIGHT!
@buckoW
You'll appreciate this

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No other country sues the way we do.

That's just the beginning.

Ebikes were one of the primary reasons given for opposition to allowing bikes in FUTURE wilderness designations. Wilderness is kind of a problem in murka for mountainbikers. You know how you can ride your bike next to the biggest coolest mountains in other countries? We can't do that because we're not clean, pure, totally native horses.
We're better than our neighbors because of our inbred american exceptionalism, sure. But there are lots of people who aren't mountainbikers that are WAY better than us heathens. They're the assholes that make sure we can't have nice things.

And as an exceptional american I'll be damned if I gotta sit here and listen to logic from someone who lives in a civilized first world country tell us how to treat each other! We know better!

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No other country sues the way we do.

That's just the beginning.

Ebikes were one of the primary reasons given for opposition to allowing bikes in FUTURE wilderness designations. Wilderness is kind of a problem in murka for mountainbikers. You know how you can ride your bike next to the biggest coolest mountains in other countries? We can't do that because we're not clean, pure, totally native horses.
We're better than our neighbors because of our inbred american exceptionalism, sure. But there are lots of people who aren't mountainbikers that are WAY better than us heathens. They're the assholes that make sure we can't have nice things.

And as an exceptional american I'll be damned if I gotta sit here and listen to logic from someone who lives in a civilized first world country tell us how to treat each other! We know better!
I don't think you can explain to people outside US how public lands are really private use lands.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The other day, I went to pull into my driveway, and I noticed some litter that was bigger than usual, so
I got out and looked. It was an empty family size box of 36 corndogs, thrown out by my mailbox. We don't deserve the wilderness.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Did my first e-bike ride. Demo'd one. My observations:

Overall: It is still mountain biking. But just different. Overall you still have to work hard to go fast.
Going uphill is now fun and less effort. Downhill is now more effort but still fun.
Uphill berms? Yes please.
Techy climbs require you to look way further ahead than acoustic. That took time to adapt to.
Heavy as fuck
Wheelies, manualing, jumping, hucking all require a bit more pre-planning and effort.
Not flickable
Could carry a lot of beer

Tested in Colorado. Dakota Ridge and Floyd Hill.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Downhill is now more effort but still fun.
This part changes within the first few weeks. timing is slightly different and then it clicks and is no more effort really.
Heavy as fuck
This part makes a shit load of difference to how they ride. I don't like riding ANY emtb that's over 50lb (mine is 47)
Because:
Wheelies, manualing, jumping, hucking all require a bit more pre-planning and effort.
It's actually just a subtle higher preload effort to do all of those things and whipping/spinning takes a stronger twisting effort. I only ever notice it now if I switch straight back to a 25-30lb bike.
Not flickable
This isn't true. mine actually is... but it's a small (435mm reach, sub 1200 WB) and light(er) and i'm a playful rider in the first place.
Could carry a lot of beer
WTF man can't??? seriously... have we all gone vegan here as well as stopping riding DH?

Overall: It is still mountain biking. But just different.
:stupid:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@Gary : Not sure what the comment about my beer carrying comment was about. But let me tell you the story. After we did Dakota Ridge, it was lunch time and we set off for Floyd Hill. There's a brewery/restaurant on the way. We stopped and drank/ate. This place will also can up a 32oz can of their beer for you. So we asked them to. Then we thought due to the awesome uphill-ness of the ebike, maybe we should take the beer with us as the extra weight really didn't matter. But of course we didn't as we'd already had plenty. And then there's the shaky beer and foam thing when taking beers on rides...;)

Scott ebike. Giant ass Shwalbes. I think they're 2.6 but in maxxis size they'd be like 3.2

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@Gary : Not sure what the comment about my beer carrying comment was about. But let me tell you the story. After we did Dakota Ridge, it was lunch time and we set off for Floyd Hill. There's a brewery/restaurant on the way. We stopped and drank/ate. This place will also can up a 32oz can of their beer for you. So we asked them to. Then we thought due to the awesome uphill-ness of the ebike, maybe we should take the beer with us as the extra weight really didn't matter. But of course we didn't as we'd already had plenty. And then there's the shaky beer and foam thing when taking beers on rides...;)

Scott ebike. Giant ass Shwalbes. I think they're 2.6 but in maxxis size they'd be like 3.2
El Rancho?

Long road ride from DR though if you're heading to Floyd Hill.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My beer comment was just my usual RM banter...
continuing on that theme:
I actually had to google what 32oz translates to... seems you meant what the French refer to as Aperitif ;)
I don't think carrying a whole 2x UK cans of beer is going to make a lot of difference whatever bike you're riding uphill on.

Scotts can def be nice playful Eebs (Just don't make the mistake of going modern loooong on your sizing)and dump the plus size nimbility killing rubber.

Pro tip: Tap the top of each beer can a few times before pulling the ringpull to get rid of the pressure/foam

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nuh. the only problem is giving a fuck...

Bikes are supposed to be fun. Emtbs even more so. So WGAF what HR you're at?
Unless you're training or using the bike primarily for fitness (which isn't so fun).
Just me? surely not.

fasterisbest

Chimp
Nov 25, 2019
The Specialized e-bikes are all pedal assist. You have the power to choose the percentage of assist. There is no dirt-bike throttle. It's like going to the gym and getting on the treadmill; You can walk or you can run. (I don't know why anyone would every want to walk or run indoors on a treadmill anyway but that's not the point here.) E-bikes have made climbing more enjoyable for me, allowed me to keep up with the billy goats I regulary ride with so that they are not waiting for me, and e-bikes have also allowed me to climb rocky, rooty, and steep parts of the trail I would have otherwise been hike-a-biking. I have no problem with the weight and (my e-bike) tackles the downs with ease.

As far as accidents are concerned, I would be willing to bet that a few non-ebikers have hit pedestrians, too.

I lived overseas for a while and I am surprised at how Europe and Asia are embracing e-bikes but North America seems to still be fighting them. It's like the skier vs. snowboarder fight of the 90s. Or better yet, the telemark skier vs. the downhill skier when ski lifts starting being built. If you are are concerned about excess trail use because an e-biker can ride the trail 3 times to a non-ebiker's single lap the same argument was presented when someone decided to build a chairlift for skiing. Their arguments sure didn't stop the development of chair lift accessed ski hills. If you visit bike parks and take the lift up I don't think you have much of an argument against e-bikes. If you are against bike parks and e-bikes, well, keep complaining! I also expect that you will be trading your Ford in for a horse this weekend.

My buddy rides for Specialized in the UK. He told me that their e-bike sales are almost at big as their road bike sales in the UK. E-bikes aren't going to disappear anytime soon. With major manufactures, such as YT, investing heavily in e-bike technology I would think that their market research proved the demand was there. The e-bike market is not going to fade away because you are arguing against them. I was one of the early adopters in my group and I caught a ton of shit from my buddies. Now most of them are riding e-bikes, too.

As far as the level of exercise goes, I think if you were to search Pink Bike there was a recent article released that proves the exercise level is similar when comparing pedal-assisted e-bikes to standard mountain bikes. I can't post the URL right now because it will need to wait to be moderated as I am a new member. But, check Pink Bike if you want to read the article. The exercise level is similar.

I personally have one bike; a Specialized Kenevo. I would like to own a downhill bike as well but I can't afford to have two bikes at the moment. Previously I had a carbon Trek Slash, a Trek Session, and a Giant Reign 0. I learned to ride on those bikes. I would also state that e-bikes are not for beginners. If you can't ride a knarly rocky rooty section on a regular MTB, you are going to have a hard time riding it at twice the speed.

Happy Riding!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That thing looks awesome fun for your local riding @buckoW
What did it end up weighing?
noticed because of the dual crown you've had to mount the shimano display over towards your controls. Do you actually use yours much? I swapped out mine for a tiny little EN EW100 bluetooth junction box that sits on a gear/brake cable/hose and have been using a Garmin 530 as a display... but I'm getting rid of the Garmin and gonna just run it with no display. Between the battery LEDs and the junction box displays I have all the info I need. The only thing I'll "slightly" miss is the coloured power assist bar graphic across the bottom of the E8000 display as I used to find it handy for eeking out a bit more range climbing.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
ramblings of a bored isolater here, feel free to skip over ....

I'm starting to think the real killer application of an ebike would be to have a much smaller, lighter battery with limited range, BUT, tie that to a sort of turbo button that kicks in on demand.

Just turning off the assist and still riding a 50# bike isn't the answer. Get that down to 32-33# with the ability to maybe have 30 minutes of boost, say for really stupid sections of climbs, that would be the advantage, leaving a not unreasonably heavy normal bike for the rest of the time.

Is any manufacturer doing something like this, or is it all about long range, long run-time goals, with the needed large heavy battery that makes that possible?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Nick the 2020 Spesh Levo SL carbon ticks all those boxes.
can be built to about 34lb no expense spared, but a sensible 37lb
with a wheel and fork swap they can have more gravity orientated geo too
so buy the base model carbon sell the fork and stick sixfiddys on would be my shout.
Max torque isn't as much as a 50lb Eeb has but it doesn't need it.
Range on the smaller battery is about the same as big Eebs too (due to it outputting less Ws)

a battery so small it only had half an hours worth of climbing range would be pretty pointless IMO
As would a torquier motor that used up a lighter battery super fast.
with the SL I think Spesh ahave got the balance pretty right (for now anyway)

Oh... but still derestrict it if you live in a retarded country like mine that limits assist to 15mph. (US is a far more sensible 20mph, but 28 would be my choice if I made the laws)

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@Gary I’m running a 31.8 bar and the screen clamp is for a 35mm, so I have tape and all sorts of shit going on. I’ve moved it since but it’s not much better. I put a 38 on it for now and yeah, I don’t like the shifter or the screen. Thanks for the tips, I didn’t think there was an option. I do like to see how much the motor is helping with the graph thing on the screen.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@buckoW, ah. Right. The 31.8 clamp band is available separately. Also swap out to E7000 shifters. You won't be disappointed. They're really nice to use and real neat/unobtrusive and mate nicely with pretty much all Dropper remotes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@Gary Ok cool. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

I went ebiking to retrieve the shuttle truck today. Riding multiple bikes in one day is always fun.

Interesting times... We are building as if we are going to open. I have no idea if we will be able to open the bike parks but my bosses are paying the bills are we are getting the berms buttered. We’ll have to wait and see.
4B9803E8-A8F0-4958-ABA2-05FF22D7BCE4.jpeg

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
@Gary Ok cool. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

I went ebiking to retrieve the shuttle truck today. Riding multiple bikes in one day is always fun.

Interesting times... We are building as if we are going to open. I have no idea if we will be able to open the bike parks but my bosses are paying the bills are we are getting the berms buttered. We’ll have to wait and see.
View attachment 144747
I can see a conversation with my wife coming up..."sorry honey, Whistler's closed, so I need to reroute my annual bike trip to Europe"

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Even if I wanted help pedaling, I'd rather ride a Marin Wolf Ridge and have someone run alongside me pushing than have a bike with a downtube that looks like a snake that ate a pig.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Even if I wanted help pedaling, I'd rather ride a Marin Wolf Ridge and have someone run alongside me pushing than have a bike with a downtube that looks like a snake that ate a pig.
Out of interest what absolutely stunning bike is it you own but probably don't ride all that much?

and have you ever carried a waterbottle on it? Or are you too worried someone might see you on a bike with ruined frame aesthetics so wear a fanny pack so no one will point and laugh at it?

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Out of interest what absolutely stunning bike is it you own but probably don't ride all that much?

and have you ever carried a waterbottle on it? Or are you too worried someone might see you on a bike with ruined frame aesthetics so wear a fanny pack so no one will point and laugh at it?
lol I'd be more embarrassed that I couldn't climb hills on my own than what the bike looks like, honestly.

But I like the looks of my Patrol and Nimble 9 (chrome!). I ride them plenty, altho the roadbike and bmx probably feel neglected. And no use for either a water bottle or fannypack on trail rides - I like some spine protection with my water, thanks.