rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just here to say, Trump likes e-bikes

Fuck Trump
Fuck e-bikes

APNewsBreak: Coming to national park trails: electric bikes

Motorized electric bicycles may soon be humming onto serene trails in national parks and other public lands nationwide. It's part of a new Trump administration order — hotly opposed by many outdoors groups — that will allow the so-called e-bikes on every federal trail where a regular bike can go.

Now back to my regularly scheduled programming of not having enough time to post.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
If everyone start riding Ebikes, then bikers can become the biggest user group of those trails.
More people, more power, more money, more resources...
Majority rule.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This could be a major blow to MTB access going forwards, as it likely will be easier for land managers to simply ban ALL bikes than selectively choose inclusion. Not a good precedent.
Counterpoint: class 1 e-bikes have been legal on trails here in JeffCo and Colorado State Parks for two seasons. No trail access issues or the like thus far.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I read the actual memo re e-bikes and it is tailored to only apply to National Parks. So no BLM, USFS, etc. yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So I read the actual memo re e-bikes and it is tailored to only apply to National Parks. So no BLM, USFS, etc. yet.
The only trail worth riding that I know of on national land that isn't a NF is in Mt St Helens, which is a national monument. Not sure if that is effected. Although by the end of this administration national monuments may not exist anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Counterpoint: class 1 e-bikes have been legal on trails here in JeffCo and Colorado State Parks for two seasons. No trail access issues or the like thus far.

I assume you mean no trail closures yet. There are always trail user conflicts and access issues on every trail. If you don't think there are you just aren't involved in the access issues. I have seen trails shut down because of a single poorly behaved group of riders. No matter how popular cyclist will always be a minority group and there are plenty of people who want them banned everywhere.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I assume you mean no trail closures yet. There are always trail user conflicts and access issues on every trail. If you don't think there are you just aren't involved in the access issues. I have seen trails shut down because of a single poorly behaved group of riders. No matter how popular cyclist will always be a minority group and there are plenty of people who want them banned everywhere.
There are certainly ongoing conflicts between the greater class of bike/“bike” users and the other groups, yes, but I haven’t heard of any issues directly pertaining to e-bikes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For those local, how well do you think the below scenario ended? Wife and I both presumed bear fodder off the side of the trail once they tried to point down hill.

Descending PickNSledge in Apex (rocky, dusty, loose, steep trails) and have to pause for a couple of riders coming up on fat-e-bikes. Neither wearing helmets or appear to have good riding skills as they bounced from side to side on the trail. But thanks to whatever e-assist they were getting it meant they were getting further in over their heads, the lady half of the couple did not look to be having fun.

Hopefully the bear eats well tonight.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
For those local, how well do you think the below scenario ended? Wife and I both presumed bear fodder off the side of the trail once they tried to point down hill.

Descending PickNSledge in Apex (rocky, dusty, loose, steep trails) and have to pause for a couple of riders coming up on fat-e-bikes. Neither wearing helmets or appear to have good riding skills as they bounced from side to side on the trail. But thanks to whatever e-assist they were getting it meant they were getting further in over their heads, the lady half of the couple did not look to be having fun.

Hopefully the bear eats well tonight.
Im not one to wish bad on anyone but perhaps a good crash is exactly what they need.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Also is etiquette to still yield to a climber even if they have a fucking motor?

I don't think so. I could see THAT being the source of a conflict.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also is etiquette to still yield to a climber even if they have a fucking motor?

I've yielded to some, but only because I could only tell it was an ebike when they went whirring bike on a bike that sounded like it was out of the jetsons.

In general though, I've noticed lately that trail etiquette and courtesy has been going down the shitter. I attribute this to the increase in mountain bike use over the last few years.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Show me on the doll where the bad e-bike touched you.

It's equally as awkward to restart on a loose, steep hill on an e-bike as on a normal bike with that first half pedal stroke.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Saw an e-bike at White Clay bobble going over a 2" root...
Ah there's noobs on regular bikes too.

I wonder if e-bikes are more dangerous for them or safer. They certainly have more traction which has gotta help, and they're not really faster anywhere except uphill so I don't think there's any increase in risk there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I went on a ride with two other e-bikers today and now can see some of your points.

One guy used to ride in the 1980s but then lost the passion. He got an e-bike last year and now does 80 miles per week per him. But he clearly didn’t grow up with the mountain bike culture: skidding his rear tire like a noob, not yielding to at least one grumpy person I later encountered (he said it was on a section with neither rider clearly the uphill one so perhaps it was ambiguous), and apparently riding off limits trails in Buff Creek and blowing off criticism about that by turning off assist when asked.

The other guy was the stereotypical guy you wouldn’t see out on the trail were it not for assist. But he actually did fine. Yielded and was polite, knew his limits and didn’t ride over his head, and actually turned out to be a poster child for e-bikes: he had a fun experience that he wouldn’t have had without assist, with no detriment to other trail users.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought I was a horrible person who needed to be removed from public lands because of my mountain bike.

Then I bought a snowmobile.............

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
that's imba crap anyway

What makes more sense:

1. the person going slower uphill that can pretty much stop immediately who can hear better yields
c. the person with wind in their ears, a rattling bike, who has a much greater stopping distance yields

ebike or not.....imba sucks. They've done more harm to mountainbiking than good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought I was a horrible person who needed to be removed from public lands because of my mountain bike.

A Florida boy needs to have some kind of jet ski replacement.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought it was self explanatory that I was a skateboarder because florida.

It's hard to keep up with what means florida sometimes. I thought just making out with my cousin for some cocaine was enough.

Edit: (during a hurricane)

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I wouldn’t really care at all, but the fucking smoke exhaust just sits there. It doesn’t go up or disperse, it just sits there waiting for you to ride in it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wouldn’t really care at all, but the fucking smoke exhaust just sits there. It doesn’t go up or disperse, it just sits there waiting for you to ride in it.

.....................................in 1998. What you're describing is a high pressure inversion.

I know the access where you live. Don't like snowmobiles? Go where they aren't. There are lots of those aren'ts.

My comment was about entitlement to land use and the tactics used to remove people. Not one's personal gripes about another user group.

mr goofy fatbike guy :brows:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
.....................................in 1998. What you're describing is a high pressure inversion.

I know the access where you live. Don't like snowmobiles? Go where they aren't. There are lots of those aren'ts.

My comment was about entitlement to land use and the tactics used to remove people. Not one's personal gripes about another user group.

mr goofy fatbike guy :brows:
Its what happens here. The frozen rivers are fun as heck to use to get around, but the exhaust just stays there in the cold and doesn’t move. That’s more a function of the cold IME, inversions are normal most of the time you have clear skies to cool the surface.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The true backcountry areas are pretty well managed, it’s the closer in stuff where it sucks to be sucking in that stink.

And yes, I do feel I am entitled to breathe clean air.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've always thought 115lb was about the right weight for a bicycle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Seriously, why have pedals on that thing? Must be for some weird EU registration rules, because it makes no sense otherwise.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

And, it has rear wheel drive, which is nice, too.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
As a banged up senior citizen. fighting my way back to fitness from a spiral fractured fibula and 2 fractures of the Tibia. I will just say no to anything resembling a E Bike. I take pride in powering my own way up and down even if that means pushing the bike. It's why I never ever wanted a dirt bike (moto).
Ya know you can peg your heart rate riding moto too right?
Should not be used in the same sentence as e bikes.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just gonna slide in here and point out that basically no other country is making such a big deal out of ebikes vs acoustic bikes. Just share the trails and don’t be a dick.
Reading this thread I cannot help but think this is some Classic American 1/0 Othering going on. Just gotta find that Other! And shout at them! STUPID OTHERS! I’M RIGHT!