Mar 19, 2002
Place
YAY! i get to get a trials bike! here is what it will consist of,
frame:nashbar atb cro mo frame
fork:a nashbar cro mo fork/px kniffen USED
stem/bar: kona ob stuff
wheels: alex dm 18 wheels
and i need suggestions on the other stuff
like for cranks do i want DH cranks or is there a specific kind of crank i will need? and normal v-brakes will do right?

well please give me any suggestions you might have....

thanks

:D :cool: :)

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
YAY! i get to get a trials bike! here is what it will consist of,
frame:nashbar atb cro mo frame
fork:a nashbar cro mo fork/px kniffen USED
stem/bar: kona ob stuff
wheels: alex dm 18 wheels
and i need suggestions on the other stuff
like for cranks do i want DH cranks or is there a specific kind of crank i will need? and normal v-brakes will do right?

Cheap cranks are the name of the name of the game when you first start off. LX bb with a FSA Power Pro crankset will runn you 50 bucks tops. V brakes are fine for starting out but buy a bottle of simple green to clean your rims. You live in a great city for trials. Look up Paul from Vision Cyclery in SF...he's an expert class rider whose got some serious skills to learn from. Peace.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
as a cheap starter... sounds good. cromo is nice cuz you can weld her back up when she breaks (and she will)

you don't want incredibly strong brakes to learn on. by learning on slightly crappier ones, you will grow to be a smoother rider!

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
frame came!

looks beautiful...... just one problem THERE IS A F*CKING DENT IN THE STEERER TUBE!!!!!

im sending back it is gonna look cool blue frame w/ as many black parts i can get my pesky little fingers on!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Those Nashbars are neat little frames...BUT...!

When you get your new one, be SURE to get the frame completely chased/faced/reamed...headtube, BB, and hanger threads all need to be cleaned up. The thick blue paint is nice, but not very well applied...overspray screws up all of these critical details on the frame.

You can maybe get the headset in without having the work done, but you're asking for real trouble there. The BB and hanger threads on my GF's were too far gone to even consider assembling without some TLC.

Don't try and ghettorig this stuff...find the oldest-school bike shop you can and some very crusty experienced mechanic to do this for you.

MD

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
thanks mike d, but how much do think that would cost? i mean is it worth it considering that this is a budget bike?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You don't really have the option...

If you don't chase the hanger threads, you can't get a derailleur to mount...trying to do so will most likely mangle the threads, like it did to me...

Same with the BB, so don't mess with that. The headset may press in, but doing trials on an unfaced, badly finished headtube like that is gonna kill headsets very quick, I'd imagine...the facing/reaming will pay for itself by keeping the bike together.

You should probably get all this done for $25-50 at a good LBS...hopefully they won't gouge you for buying something online and then bringing it to them to fix...but that's the price you pay for a 'bargain' sometimes.

In short, do it...or face more expensive problems down the road. Or face a frame ruined from the start.

MD

*Edit fer spelling

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
well it came it does look good but i was wondering......... what is a good fork to get? CHEAP! no option. i think that nashbar fork would be good for my skill level but i dunno i am poor

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
thanks but the cro mo nashbar fork is 35......... i dunno
unreal has a khs dj fork that is 40, but its geomotry is set at 4 in

hectolyte

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Davis, CA
if price is the biggest concern-- stop by some LBSs. People upgrade their rigid forks for suspension and leave them at the shop. I bet if you haggle, you could get a nice (steel) one for 10 bucks.

Locosrus

Chimp
Dec 18, 2001
Fran sancisco
Monkeyboy you crack me up! you have a pro-mechanic at your disposal to do all this crap for free, and what do you do??
sheesh
Whatever
Locosrus (pro mechanic)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by Locosrus
Monkeyboy you crack me up! you have a pro-mechanic at your disposal to do all this crap for free, and what do you do??
sheesh
Whatever
Locosrus (pro mechanic)
I DO NOTHING MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

LOL you are alive! you havent posted in like 10 years!!!!! sheesh!

well any way you can do that for me oh great one?!? i didnt no.....

well

nice to hear from you i got a new fork! a marz mr t

(well its on lay-away)

how much is your crown gonna cost?

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
boosh

i need advice on a fork should i use a suspension fork? rigid better for learning? i can already do some basic stuff like rearwheel hopping, and side hopping.......

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
it doesn't really matter but if it's going to be only used for trials I'd go rigid - cheaper, lighter, better. If you want the comfort of a susp fork go for it, but it serves no use :)

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
If you haven't already gotten a fork, I would reccomend getting that KHS DJ fork. The 4in rise will put the front of the bike up higher. This will make it easier to get on the rear wheel and get up onto obstacles. It also allows you to run a shorter stem so the integrity of your stem is not an issue. Most long stems are cheap and weak, with the exception of trials stems which are not that cheap. Plus longer stems with alot of rise put quite a bit of your weight over the front tire. You will have a much higher chance of endo'ing with a long stem.

I hope this helps.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
thanks! thats exactly what i was going to get , i was already going to run a 70mm stem and if this makes it easier i wil ldefinatly get that fork!

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I am glad that I could help you out. Good luck with trials. You should have a really good set-up. One other thing that I suggest is that you get a King rear hub asap. I know they are very expensive, I had to beg borrow and deal to get mine. But the fact of the matter is, you will gap further, you will pedal-up higher, and you will have and easier time staying on the rear wheel.

:cool:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
sorry it took so long to respond

thanks i figured it all out and it would only cost 225 to det this frame up!!!! i have a lot of spare parts lying around, so that is good...

and if i got a CK hub it would go on my main bike, my kona
:rolleyes:

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver

and if i got a CK hub it would go on my main bike, my kona
:rolleyes:
Screw that, you don't need the near instant engagement on a trail bike(atleast not as much). Seriously it will improve all of your ratcheting moves, I kid you not. Basically gaps, pedal kicks, pedal ups, etc... will be improved. But the hub is $200 cost. It is a lot to pay for a moderate amount of improvement.

Plus CK hubs are annoying when you are going DH. I would get a Hadley for your Kona i.e. bolt on.

Enjoy your rig any how.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
King hub would definitely be 100 times better on a trials bike than a regular bike. But if you don't want to put that money into the trials bike then that's that too.

But if you ever start taking it seriously.. it's something to consider. A trials specific frame is more important than a CK hub though!

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
A trials specific frame is more important than a CK hub though!
Yeah that is true. And just like LBS said, if you take it serious a CK hub will make a huge difference.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
thanks!!

i am thinking about saving all the money i can get and putting it in to a new jack flash, and i would put like a psylo on it so it could be my main bike

i.e.

psylo at 5 in: trail/urban bike

psylo at 3 in: trials bike

i would put duel ring on it and a 80mm stem. and i think that would be cool.

just pricy :eek:

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
i am thinking about saving all the money i can get and putting it in to a new jack flash, and i would put like a psylo on it so it could be my main bike
That would be a good idea man. a great all-rounder it'd be

A Norco Team Trials is also good for both trail and trials :)