Quantcast

yay, former nazi youth elected pope...

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Silver said:
Let me clarify this for you:

Priests ****ing altar boys' pink little assholes. Then bishops moving said priests around before too many complaints happen at one place. After all, you don't want Sally Catholic to think that the guy who hears confession is working on her son's genitals in a way that would make Michael Jackson blush.

Priest now has fresh meat to play with. Repeat.

Organization that harbors said child molesters claims to be the ultimate moral authority on the planet, while moving child molesters from place to place to place so that they can continue ****ing the assholes of altar boys.

Bravo, well said.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How can you condemn an entire organization for the actions of a select few? That's just playing into stereotypes, it's like saying jews are cheap or muslims are all radical crazies with bombs strapped to them.

Honestly, how can you fault an entire religion for the actions of a couple of jerky people trying to cover up some seriously twisted individuals? I'm not condoning this at all, but in this country things get blown way out of proportion, and when something gets covered up and the details are missing, what are you going to do?

And don't give me that eye-witness or better yet the repressed memory stories. The only thing that suddenly comes back is $$ dollar signs.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I don't condemn the entire organization, just the last pope that did nothing about it and all of the people who think he was so great.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sandwich said:
How can you condemn an entire organization for the actions of a select few?
It's easy to do when the new leader of said organization delivered a blistering sermon the other day on the evils of moral relativism after shrugging off child molestation in the church as a media obsession and spending time with a swastika on his uniform in his younger days. In his defence he did desert, that is true. Of course, so did Speer and Eichmann, so that hardly makes him a moral hero to me.

It's like hearing a lecture on how to run an ethical corporation by Ken Lay. All you can do is sit there an laugh...

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Andyman_1970 said:
Off topic, but just a comment to insert here, how in the heck did that myth St. Peter "lets you in heaven" get started?
I know that one! I've heard that it came from here.
Matthew 16:18 -19
"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build My Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of Heaven, and whatsoever You shall bind on earth, it shall bound also in heaven: and whatsoever Thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be Bound also in heaven: and whatsoever Thou shalt loose on earth, It shall be bound in heaven."

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Mackie said:
I know that one! I've heard that it came from here.
Matthew 16:18 -19
"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build My Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of Heaven, and whatsoever You shall bind on earth, it shall bound also in heaven: and whatsoever Thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be Bound also in heaven: and whatsoever Thou shalt loose on earth, It shall be bound in heaven."
Except that when a Jewish rabbi uses the terms "bind and loose" it means absolutly nothing about letting people into heaven. The "kingdom" Matthew is referring to is the Kingdom of Heaven/God which is a present reality now as we live today, not someplace we go when we die.

Thanks for the verses though, I was wondering if someone would post them. Since I'm not Catholic I wonder if there is some church tradition that started that idea of Peter being the "gatekeeper".

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Andyman_1970 said:
Except that when a Jewish rabbi uses the terms "bind and loose" it means absolutly nothing about letting people into heaven. The "kingdom" Matthew is referring to is the Kingdom of Heaven/God which is a present reality now as we live today, not someplace we go when we die.
My understanding is that it comes from a misundertanding or too-literal interpetation of thhat passage. Can't remember where I read that though. Might have been in something from Karen Armstrong.

In any case, here's a cycling related St. Peter joke.
Lance Armstrong dies & goes to Heaven. After St Peter lets him
through the Pearly Gates, he comes across a velodrome where this rider
is racing furiously lap after lap by himself.
Lance asks St Peter "Wow - is that Eddy Merckx?"
To which St Peter answers "No, That's God. He just THINKS he's Eddy Merckx."

Weak, but at least it's bike related. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
And some people think that if it doesn't liberalize itself it will fade into obscurity... well... maybe in another 600 or so years.
I don't think it has to "liberalize" itself but issues like married preists and stuff stem from church history and not from the Scriptures themselves. IMO far too much emphasis is placed on church history and tradition (which has a very skewed point if view) instead of operating according to the Scriptures.

[Please note: I have a very good friend who is Catholic that I respect very much, so this is rather a disagreement with the "how's" of the church than the members of that church and their faith.]

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The new Pope proclaims "I'm the Pope mutha ****er" before chugging Courvoisier from his Pimp cup. Reports of him beating down Cardinals who mouthed off with his pimp stick are unfounded.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Sandwich said:
How can you condemn an entire organization for the actions of a select few? That's just playing into stereotypes, it's like saying jews are cheap or muslims are all radical crazies with bombs strapped to them.

Honestly, how can you fault an entire religion for the actions of a couple of jerky people trying to cover up some seriously twisted individuals? I'm not condoning this at all, but in this country things get blown way out of proportion, and when something gets covered up and the details are missing, what are you going to do?

And don't give me that eye-witness or better yet the repressed memory stories. The only thing that suddenly comes back is $$ dollar signs.
JPII should have seen to it that those priests were heald accountable for their actions both through church law (excommunication) and civil law. Catholics of the world should have demanded swift action from the diocese that were in charge of said priests. This new guy Ratzinger is making an arse of himself by playing it off saying the whole deal was the doing of those seeking to liberalise the church.

BTW, allowing priests to marry wont solve this problem. Most guys that molest kids do so regardless if they have an interest in women. How many child molesters of the general populace are otherwise normal married guys?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Damn True said:
JPII should have seen to it that those priests were heald accountable for their actions both through church law (excommunication) and civil law. Catholics of the world should have demanded swift action from the diocese that were in charge of said priests. This new guy Ratzinger is making an arse of himself by playing it off saying the whole deal was the doing of those seeking to liberalise the church.

BTW, allowing priests to marry wont solve this problem. Most guys that molest kids do so regardless if they have an interest in women. How many child molesters of the general populace are otherwise normal married guys?
The interesting thing about that whole deal is that the Bible clearly outlines how to deal with folks who claim to be followers of Jesus but still publically sin and do so unrepentantly - given the timespan that this activity was known by the Catholic church (several years before there was action) it would seem that the Catholic church didn't follow those guidelines at all.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
The interesting thing about that whole deal is that the Bible clearly outlines how to deal with folks who claim to be followers of Jesus but still publically sin and do so unrepentantly - given the timespan that this activity was known by the Catholic church (several years before there was action) it would seem that the Catholic church didn't follow those guidelines at all.

People who worship in glass houses shouldn't throw judgemental/Holier-than-thou stones...

:nope:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Andyman_1970 said:
So are you equating me with them because I too am a member of a Baptist church?

I never said Baptist's were "it" as far as the Christian faith goes, actually I do more than my fair share of exposing the shortcomings of Evangelical Christianity on here.
"a" baptist church instead of "the" baptist church?

how did they ever arrive at the 3 dozen+ flavors of baptists?