Quantcast

Yay stupid me ! Er... is stupidity a warranty issue ?

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
So yeah, here's the story...

Here I am, looking for the serial number on my Swinger 4-Way shock, but can't see it anywhere...

So, I take it off my demo 9. But, I still can't see it. Then, I notice this writing on the preload wring, so I remove the coil to see what it says. Turns out, it's only manitou. So, I'm just about to give up when I see some faint writing near the eyelet... W00T ! A serial number !

This is good... So now I put the coil back on and tighten and set my preload and stuff. Then, I notice the shaft is at an angle compared to the reservoir, so I put that straight again and reassemble.

Couple days later, I go to adjust my rebound setting cuz it's a little too fast to my liking. But, what's this ? The knob is at a really hard to get place. Like, under the bike... and I have to take my rear wheel off to get to it. I heard that the shock placement on the Demo 9s could be difficult, so I thought nothing of it. Stupid me.... Turns out, the shaft was "upside down" and now, the rebound know was really forcing against the linkage. But, again, I thought nothing of it.

So, I can't move the know either way, and I notice it's really close to the swingarm, like, perhaps touching. So I compress the suspension, and I can move it now ! YAY !

But, the reach is all bad, so I take out a 3mm allen key and turn it like that. Then, I release the suspension and SNAP ! No more rebound adjuster knob. It just broke clean off.

Now, still oblivious to that fact that it's my fault I'm like "wtf ?! didn't they notice this when building up the bikes ?" So, I goes about taking the shock out and all, and finaly realize "hey, perhaps I'm the one who reinstalled it upside down, hence, it's all my fault."

Now, here's the true question. Do you guys think I can still get away with a warranty claim, or is the new rebound adjuster and labor fees coming out of my pocket ?

I've got a bad feeling it's the second.... :S

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your pocket... Sorry, dude, it sucks.

What you could do is call Manitou and say, "Look, I'm a douche bag and screwed up my rebound adjuster... I know it's probably not a warrenty issue, but could you help me out?"

The worst they can say is, "No."

The best they can say is, "Well... I just got laid last night and I'm in a really good mood. I'll give you the parts at cost."

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
guess you didn't get enough sleep?

your pocket.

i was gonna send in my Vanilla for warranty work, get the cartridge replaced. the day after i called to get an RA#, and the day befoe i was gonna send it in, i broke off the bottom nut. instead of a new warranty cartridge, i got to pay for it.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
binary visions said:
Your pocket... Sorry, dude, it sucks.

What you could do is call Manitou and say, "Look, I'm a douche bag and screwed up my rebound adjuster... I know it's probably not a warrenty issue, but could you help me out?"

The worst they can say is, "No."

The best they can say is, "Well... I just got laid last night and I'm in a really good mood. I'll give you the parts at cost."
I'm gonna disagree here, based on personal experience.

I had a very similar thing happen on Tuesday. I was attempting to swap out the spring on my Swinger shock, and when I went to loosen the rebound adjuster knob to get clearance to remove the spring, the whole knob snapped off inside the shock. I was like "Um... crap."

I work in a shop, so I called Manitou immediately, told them what happened, and they gave me an RA number and said they'd give me a complimentary shock rebuild. Moral of the story: call Manitou, don't explain the situation, just say your rebound adjuster broke, and they'll probably hook you up.

WV Hippy

Chimp
May 20, 2004
No offense guys, but that sucks. You shop guys should really be ashamed of yourselves. You're taking advantage of good customer service at a time when it's really hard to find in the bike industry. Thats how we end up with really crappy warranty support. To answer your question, stupidity is NOT a warranty issue. If you told them the truth and they still want to help you out bitchin' for you and bitchin' of them, otherwise it ain't right.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Well, I called them up, explained the situation, they seemed to say it would be covered by warranty, then I brought it to the shop, explained what I did and they sent it off. Now, if they lied to the distributor for me to get it under warranty, that's them, but I for one was honest to everyone I talked to about this...

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I would tell Manitou what you did, and hope for the best. You never know. My buddy snapped his Burton snowboard in half when he jumped something small and landed on an outcrop just under the snow. He wrote to Burton and explained fully what happened, said he fully expected to have to have a repair done, but was disappointed that the board broke and was irreperable. He also explained how much he liked the board, Supermodel 68(I think), and that he has had several of their boards as does his wife, and he was sent a new board.

Don't feel like your the only one to do something stupid. We all do that. Ever bleed a Hayes and install the wheel and squeeze the lever until the padless pistons go into the rotor and the pins snap off?

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Actualy, no.... I've never snapped the pins off my hayes while bleeding...

Probably cuz I leave the pads in... hehe.... but, I have contaminated my pads like that.... :p

I've also stuck my finger in a spinning rotor (almost lost the tip and now have a cute scar under my nail).