Quantcast

Yea!!! More spying on US citizens that we haven't known about the past 5 years!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
RenegadeRick said:
are typically corporations...

are FedGov employees though.

Do you forsee the AbuGhraib scenario here, where the top brass disavows the actions of their subordinates?

"Those TSA screeners that took your wife's medicines away were a few bad apples. We certainly had not instructed them to do that. They were acting on their own."

Having your a$$ hung out to dry is a tough way to earn $17.50/hr.
Agreed, but sue the SCREENER personally, not the TSA itself. That will have them thinking twice before they take your Ativan.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Transcend said:
Agreed, but sue the SCREENER personally, not the TSA itself. That will have them thinking twice before they take your Ativan.
Even if you were awarded their entire $36.4 salary and then your attorney gets 1/3 it would mean like $12.1 tops for the attorney. It might be tough to get representation at those kind of payout rates. Especially in a hard to prove case. All the screener would have to say is that he was "just doing his job."

The reason people sue major corporations is because they have deep pockets.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Silver said:
If she accepted Christ into her life and prayed, she wouldn't need the devil's drugs to fly.

(Speaking as someone who for some weird reason needs Ativan to get on a plane, I can't believe they did that. Did she raise holy hell?)
Holy hell was raised. Didn't matter. It would've been almost bearable had she'd been on a direct flight...just take the meds and toss it in your checked baggage and they'd be wearing off just about landing time (She even had to go back to the counter and check her carry-on with all the forbidden items in it....well, once it's checked, you can't get to it until you arrive at your final destination....)...but with the connecting flight and the wait cause of the delays and such, she called me sobbing at 2am from DFW saying that she couldn't get on her flight that was boarding... She was real pleasant :rolleyes: at 6 this morning when I got her.

Edit: It's over now...if she wanted to go forward, I'd be all for chewing someone out...but she just wants to forget it...*shrug*

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Secret Squirrel said:
Holy hell was raised. Didn't matter. It would've been almost bearable had she'd been on a direct flight...just take the meds and toss it in your checked baggage and they'd be wearing off just about landing time (She even had to go back to the counter and check her carry-on with all the forbidden items in it....well, once it's checked, you can't get to it until you arrive at your final destination....)...but with the connecting flight and the wait cause of the delays and such, she called me sobbing at 2am from DFW saying that she couldn't get on her flight that was boarding... She was real pleasant :rolleyes: at 6 this morning when I got her.

Edit: It's over now...if she wanted to go forward, I'd be all for chewing someone out...but she just wants to forget it...*shrug*
That sucks man. Sorry that happened.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Secret Squirrel said:

I am so sorry to hear that.

I had not considered the whole layover aspect of this scenario. With multiple connecting flights and the possibility of delays, it's even more dangerous for the TSA to do this.

Last I heard, the terrorists were planning to use liquids. What are they doing confiscating pills?

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Transcend said:
Wow, they are confiscating prescription medication at their opwn leisure???? WTF? I can't wait for someone to sue one of them, the TSA and the airport authority because some wanna be doctor TSA screener throught it was ok to take somenes meds.

Liquid explosives means confiscate electronics, pills, drinks bought in the gates and anything else. Good job airlines, good job.
Umm... FYI, I read in the paper that prescription medications and formula for babies are declared exempt.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OrthoPT said:
Umm... FYI, I read in the paper that prescription medications and formula for babies are declared exempt.
Yet clearly this was misunderstood in the case of the above poster's wife. It will most probably be repeated again and again as well. Screeners aren't the brightest crayons in the box...that's why they work a crappy job with horrendous hours and even worse pay.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
RenegadeRick said:
I am so sorry to hear that.

I had not considered the whole layover aspect of this scenario. With multiple connecting flights and the possibility of delays, it's even more dangerous for the TSA to do this.

Last I heard, the terrorists were planning to use liquids. What are they doing confiscating pills?
I'm not sure what kind they are.....gel-tabs maybe??? I'll look when I get home....kinda odd though...

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
BurlyShirley said:
Okay...let me interject here.

The govt is only made up of people. People who want to please people to get their votes so they can keep their jobs. Sure, there may be some greed for $$$ in there, but by and large, you know, the distinction of holding the office and keeping the power is the big draw. These guys know that doing anything stupid means losing that power...they are afraid, one way or another.

There is no freaking new world order. Not enough people agree on a damned thing. There is no 9/11 conspiracy. What this equals is people doing their jobs, and maybe going a bit too far with it. It will be dealt with, and some people will lose power because of it. Nothing more.

Nobodys is going to gitmo for a bush-with-horns avatar. Chill the **** out.

I don't see anything but contempt for ordinery people from politicians. They know they can get away with almost anything just because the few that actually bother minding what is going on, with time forget..

George Bush senior mentioned in his presidential days the new world order on several occations, and 9/11...the facts are scary, but make your own mind up after you've watched a few documentaries. I recomend "911 In Plane Site" it doesen't cover every thing but it's the best one i've seen on the subject. 52minutes of your time.

As some guys already mentioned, the system is called Echelon and it taps phones, e-mails, mobiles, sms's, everything.

As an example, the surveilance in Sweden is conducted by Försvarets Radio Anstalt, FRA (Defensive Forces Radio Institution).
They tap all electronic comunication with word programs. Every time sertain words are mentioned, they and you get registered. When you have reached a sertain level of "pings" they take a closer look at you.
This institution don't open up for scrutiony by anybody. There is a small group (5-8 persons) from the parliament that once a year get to meet the head of FRA for a briefing. They can ask all questions they want, but he don't have to answer them if he doesn't want to... Democracy at work!
This is probably how it works in most western countries.

DaveW said:
Please.... Explain then the greatest of the paranoid/fear of the people type govenments like Mao tse tung's, Stain's and Hitlers then?
Those wankers had a fear of the people and used the postion of power to cursh all dissent as they were scared of the people!
The nazis had a majority of the people behind them, and the other two had at least for some time the majority behind them, and all of them were totalitarian.
Don't you guys think USA is getting there if not there all ready after 9/11?

Bawitdaba said:
We should try and keep in mind that the goal of the domestic surveillance program is not to kep tabs on the average Joe or Jane, but on the folks who are responsible or planning for attacks here in the States. I fear that some people are blinded by partisian politics and are exercising their right to free speech without really thinking of a good alternative. We shouldn't flatter ourselves by trying to believe that we are the target of a surveilance. How many more will be killed and injured, and how much more damage will be incurred to our economy before we all understand that this is for real, bad people want to kill us, and if we don't circle the wagons to some degree, they easily will......
Your wonderful constitution was created to protect you from a threat far more dangerous than a external enemy ever can be. When the enemy is easily identifiable you know who he is and what he can do to you. With your own gvmt it is very hard, specially with todays technology, and their motive to eff you is even harder to imagine.