Quantcast

yea or nay on the fork

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
ok, i got an opportunity to pick up a new rs lyrik uturn (coil style) for under 700. dilema is this: i'm getting ready to build up a transition covert and was thinking this fork may be a bit too much for the frame. any one have any ideas and/or comments on this? also, the other option is a fox 36 vanilla r for probably around the same price. i'm about 150lb and ride fairly hard (some jumps and drops but nothing over 6 or 7 feet) and have been off the bike for a while so i'm kinda no so smooth. ok, now advise me quick!

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Drop the lyric down with the u-turn and rock it. The Van36 will be as tall as the lyric at full travel, but the van doesn't have adjustable travel.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Yeah, I'd go Lyrik in that case. I have a 36Van R, and I like it, but sometimes wish for travel adjust... have had my eye on a Lyrik just for a bit, but just can't afford at the moment.
Lyrik is just like the Pikes bigger brother, and the Pike can take a lot, but the Totem is just too big in most cases... obviously out of the question here.
Heck, maybe even just the Pike would be great in your case, seems prime for a Covert IMO, sounds like a great combo.

Feb 8, 2007
I have been on a Lyrik coil (bottlerocket) for about a month and I will give it a huge endorsement. It's stiff enough, and has taken everything I've thrown at it. Once dialed, it feels great. Plush and supple on small bumps, and I have yet to feel a harsh bottom. (I'm 180 lbs., with stock springs.) I feared it would be too linear, but for me, it isn't. The new damping system RS is using is killer.

The travel adjust is the best part. I use the entire range. I almost bought a Van R instead and I'm sooo glad I did not. The adjustability, the feel of a coil sprung fork, and not having to deal with air is well worth it. You will also appreciate the maxle axle.

PS - I use to be RS hater, but this fork is winning me over. For now.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
well, i got the lyrik! under 700 a bucks to have it in my hands was just too good to pass up...now i just have to find some time to get a frame and components:disgust1:

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
go with the Lyrik, my buddy put one on his Covert, and actually its the oragne one on the Transition Web site, he loves hoe the bike feels, its a good set up.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
alright, so now that i have the fork...what rear shock? i'm a big fan of the adjust it and forget it genre, but i have had some pretty good experience in the past with fox air shocks. again, 150lb-ish and i ride fairly aggressively. so what's gonna work nicely with my lyrik

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say get a DHX Air, or perhaps a more simple Marzocchi Roco Air. Their coil counterparts are solid too, but that bike looks pretty happy with an air.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
so the lyrik got here today...i've been out of the "industry know" for quite a while, and dear jesus is this a beefy fork! the lower legs must be as thick as my wrist!

on a similar note, apparently the deal i got was not just a one time thing:

go ebay, go!