Quantcast

Yeah! TITUS comes through!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, for all who've been sharing my pain so far, thanks...

For all those who don't know, I cracked my Titus' top tube at the head tube weld (pic in my other thread). :crying:

This comes after I've been talking my Locomoto up to a bunch of people considering new bikes, so I was anxious to see what Titus would do...there was a recall on the 2001 models without gussets, but mine had both.

So, after a 2-minute hold and a one-minute conversation with Alan, I've got a new 2002 bike! They have wraparound gussets at the headtube to stop lightweight but brutally clumsy riders like myself :monkey: from hurting their bikes.

One could argue that Titus is merely doing its duty to me as a consumer, or that their frame was flawed/dangerous/a ripoff (and they were covering their asses by being cooperative), but I really think they could be a lot worse! (Like some other smaller bike makers...) Honestly, they've always been pleasant and reponsive (on the phone; emails seem lost on them), and the Loco really was an AMAZING bike to ride. I think that's why many seemed to break...they took timid riders like me and eventually made them too aggresive. :cool: Alan did mention that a lot of riders were using them 'as freeride bikes.'

They could have cried to me about a 5" fork being too long, or me being abusive, or a million other things, but instead, I have a no-hassle replacement with an improved 2002 frame (with my choice in colors! I think I'm going grey/black...).

So to Sista Kreep, I say...GET THEE A TITUS. And to anyone else looking at bikes...Titus (and turner!) seem to be great people to deal with who sell a great product. :thumb:

Thank you and good night.

-Mike

(Oh, and everyone welcome my girlfriend, Hellokitty, to the board! :love: Her 1st bike should be built up by the end of the week! :queen: )

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Alan came through for me when I got the bike, too.

I originally ordered it from Kalo Mountain Cycles. :angryfire
Bret :angryfire :angryfire took over a month too long building it, and claimed to have finally shipped it. A month later, no bike... "oops; lost in the mail!" he says.:think:

We wait a bit for it to show (meanwhile, he refuses to gie me a tracking number...:confused: :think: ) and nothing.

So, three weeks later, I tell him, no go...it's too late (I was deployed to Japan at the time and would no longer have use for it.) He says, OH, DAMN! I just shipped you a brand new one just like the one that was lost in the mail! :think: (In 3 weeks he gets me another bike, with a custom-ordered frame, that originally took 3.5 MONTHS?)

When it shows, it's postmarked 3 days AFTER his 'Oops! I just mailed it to you!' email. :confused: :eek: :angryfire

I Return to Sender and call Alan, who assures me that only ONE frame was ordered for me.

I then had a sketchy experience with another online dealer, and when I cancelled the order with him (was warned away by other burned customers), Alan assured me that Titus would send my frame to another builder for me (negating the dealer's 'You're screwing me!' hystrionics).

That builder was Speedgoat, thank God, and the rest is history.

-MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nah, but Airbomb once took a return on a bashring that they mis-spec'd for me and didn't give me credit...

But thankfully my credit company stuck it to Brett.

Someone on MTBR finally sued him, I think, but I checked his site and it's still up...minus, of course, the 'forum,' which turned into a scream-fest of BRET, WHERE'S MY BIKE??? three weeks after he opened it and was promptly shut down.

The other one was one of the less-reputable Tahoe dealers, now doing business under another name in San Diego. PM me for more.

-Mike

Z

Zonic Man

Originally posted by MikeD
Nah, but Airbomb once took a return on a bashring that they mis-spec'd for me and didn't give me credit...

But thankfully my credit company stuck it to Brett.

Someone on MTBR finally sued him, I think, but I checked his site and it's still up...minus, of course, the 'forum,' which turned into a scream-fest of BRET, WHERE'S MY BIKE??? three weeks after he opened it and was promptly shut down.

The other one was one of the less-reputable Tahoe dealers, now doing business under another name in San Diego. PM me for more.

-Mike
It's called BIKEPRO.

However, there is a bike shop in south lake that is GREAT!

It's www.123bikes.com. Buy from him all the time.

Old_Dude

Monkey
MikeD,

Thanks for letting us know the outcome - that's great.

I wish Trek & the dealer I bought my Fuel 90 from would've been as reasonable about the damage with my frame - even though the damage wasn't "structurally dangerous", or whatever, Trek not only refused to replace my frame, but they ignored my e-mails and calls (I wasn't irate or anything even close). You think I'll ever own another Trek - no way. Titus? Quite possibly.

Happy riding,

OD

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
Originally posted by Zonic Man

It's called BIKEPRO.

However, there is a bike shop in south lake that is GREAT!

It's www.123bikes.com. Buy from him all the time.
Yeah, I remember Dave as one of the partners with Tahoe Bike Pro turning up on the phone at one of the other Mail Order places...I think it was 123 - I have notes to some effect on that since Tahoe went 'bankrupt' after taking my visa for an xtr bb (950) and I was trying to find some source for the bb before I reversed the charges...

Ended up getting my dough back without too much hassle, but still looking for that 950bb.

Ah well. It's a tough world.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:thumb: Glad to hear that they took care of you! I think the Sista is going thru SpeedGoat...only ever hear good stuff about them! Happy trails bro!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
speedgoat is a great online shop. those guys do nothing but make great deals for ppl and get them their **** quickly. i'm glad to hear titus came through on your frame!!!:thumb: and no most small companys' are reallllllllllllly good about warrenties, it's company's like trek that you have to look out for. one of my buddies who races w/ me tore an oclv frame apart big time. he just cranked down on it and the wishbone split apart. maybe a year after that he starts finding cracks in the paint which is the exact same thing that happened last time and when he tried to warrenty it trek just said they were cracks in the paint and they weren't going to warrenty it. wellllllll 7 nicely developed cracks are in the rear end of the bike and trek is still being stupid about it. hopefully his rear end of the bike won't just spilt like it did last time while he's riding.

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . trek just said they were cracks in the paint and they weren't going to warrenty it. wellllllll 7 nicely developed cracks are in the rear end of the bike and trek is still being stupid about it. . . .
Normally, I'd read a quote like that & be very skeptical, but after what happened to me I HATE TREK!!!

No, I won't just "get over it".

Sista Kreep

Chimp
Jan 30, 2002
northeast
Glad to hear everything worked out for you MikeD! I think maybe you should try to land a job with the company since you do so much promoting for them already!! I think I am going to go with the Loco-Moto myself. I have begun the process with Speedgoat with the sizing and such. Now I just have to keep working all the overtime I've been doing so I can afford it and all the nice parts to go along with the nice frame!!:D It'll all be worth it. I does help knowing the the company takes care of its peeps!! Let us know how the new bike works for ya, and hello Hellokitty!! Welcome aboard!! I can't wait to have my new bike either. The waiting game sucks.. :crying: