Year long number(plate) vs. per race

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by vtminuteman, Jan 11, 2008.

1. vtminuteman

vtminuteman Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Seems wasteful to get a new number plate for each USA Cycling MTB race I do. I thought of this when I found my mountain of old number plates. Start it with pros and give a number plate to use year long with their license. Your number could be picked or assigned when you renew your license. It would save race promoters money/time, allow racers to keep the plate on most of the time, and is standard practice in other forms of racing. One-day license racers would be given a cheap plate at the race with a non-conflicting number.

Whats your opinion?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. thom9719

thom9719 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    there are a ton of racers. you would have to have 5 didgets at for all the riders.

It is nice going to a race and getting a number plate. it's a cool memory when you do well, and something you can destroy when you don't :D

Kyle,

3. ChrisKring

ChrisKring Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    the default AMA 3 digit plates are the last 3 digits of your AMA number. There are hundreds of thousands of AMA members and I have only seen conflicts a couple of times and each of those was when someone was not running their assigned number. License numbers always stay the same from year to year.

AMA pros with a championship title have the option to select a permanent 2 digit number. Most do. Then the rest of the 2 digits get delt out to pros with the most points. So basically, there are about 70 numbers dealt out after the permanent numbers.

Amatuer racers have the option to run a 2 digit number based on their season points. However, that only works in that class. More of a pain than it's worth.

Then there are people like me who raced non-sanctioned races prior to racing an AMA race. I had to pick a number so I chose my son's birthday. Never had a problem.

I would work good to run permanent numbers. BMX does it too.

4. vtminuteman

vtminuteman Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Thats why I said start with the pros. Last I checked there is not more than 10,000 us pro mtb racers. Try the idea with pros(smaller class) and go from there. Pros tend to race the most in a single season so being able to cut down on the # of plates would be nice.

5. Damo

Damo Short One Marshmallow

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 19
    Also different race series (at least here in EU) would make that difficult... I race all over europe and a fixed number system would not work. It would be nice though to be able to keep the same number year-round...
    Perhaps each race series could adopt this idea...

6. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    51 / 544
    Its a nice IDea, But it just wont work. Best you can do is have teh same number for a series, or a single location, for example, Fontana, I will have teh same number There only all year, of coarse when I go to Mammoth or Northstar, I will have to have a different number for those locations and so forth. Oh well what to do right?

7. Jim Mac

Jim Mac MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 281
    An intermediate move might be the ability to use the same plate for a whole series, ie the VT state Mt. Snow races - same plate can be used all year, minus the Nat's.

8. ChrisKring

ChrisKring Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Snowshoe used static numbers for their series last year. In fact, it cost you $5 if you forgot your plate.

9. Jim Mac

Jim Mac MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 281
    It was $15 at Snow if you didn't reuse your plate and needed a new one!