Quantcast

year of the rat?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
seems more & more cries of foul are mounting, as the chinese are being accused of cheating, sometimes red-handed. is this just more sore-loserdome, disproportionate investigation while others go unconfronted, a reinforced prejudice against a nation that is openly corrupt by western standards, or a win-at-any-cost mentality openly flaunted?

pareto charts & pie graphs are accepted; laffer curves are not

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Baidu cache offers more evidence of underage Chinese gymnasts
If these allegations prove true, it would scarcely be the first time China has lied about the age of an athlete. In 2000—three years after the minimum qualifying age for Olympic Gymnastic competition was raised to 16—Chinese gymnast Yang Yun won a bronze medal for her performance on the uneven bars. Yang's passport showed her as 16 years old at the time, but the gymnast herself later admitted on Chinese national television that she and her coaches had lied about her age, and that she had been just 14 at the time. There's also evidence that Chinese gymnast Li Ya was just 13 when she competed at the World Championships in Anaheim back in 2003.
still in the conspiracy theory phase, but may grow legs with the help of anti-china types

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
seems more & more cries of foul are mounting, as the chinese are being accused of cheating, sometimes red-handed. is this just more sore-loserdome, disproportionate investigation while others go unconfronted, a reinforced prejudice against a nation that is openly corrupt by western standards, or a win-at-any-cost mentality openly flaunted?
I laugh when people consider cycling riff with doping. Most pro teams have a budget of under 10 million dollars.

China has a budget of hundreds of millions for sport, and I am sure a sizable percentage ends up for doping.

I don't think it is sour grapes to look for fire when you see smoke. China has been caught for doping several times in the past, and there is real proof that their gymnastics team was under age.

On the other hand, when I see a perfect landing or a dive, I don't think about how much designer steroids they have taken, just how much training they must do to be that good.

I think China is still cheating, just that they spend more money to beat the tests.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
it's got legs!

I.O.C. Asks for Inquiry of Chinese Gymnasts

apparently, a passport is sufficient documentation for proof-of-age. passports are issued by china, for their countrymen, so i can quickly see a flaw here, but how should it be resolved? core sample?
I got a photo ID in Canada that said I was 23 when I was 19. China can crank out fake Nike's, I'm sure a passport is easy enough to make in any age.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It is a little odd the disparity between gold and other medals won by the Chinese. Still, they were only a little behind the US in Athens and it was hardly unexpected to see them top the medal board here. I want an inquiry into them f*cking Poms. 1 gold in Atlanta to 18 and counting here? Mustn't be bitter.....cunts.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
who cares how old their gymnasts are?...if they're better than SIUP....D
The rule says 16 on the year of the games. The fact that it's a rule means that the IOC cares. Not saying it's a good rule, but as of right now it's still a rule.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I meant more along this train of thought...

His wife, Martha Karolyi, the United States women’s national team coordinator, said the age requirement should be done away with.

“It just causes problems, and you can’t prove if someone is following the rules or not,” she said. “It causes too many problems.”
I mean why is there an age limit? What purpose does it serve?...and if you're not going to take official government issued documents as proof then what?...D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so by extension, you're for pitching any IOC rule b/c it may prove to be too hard to enforce?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I meant more along this train of thought...

I mean why is there an age limit? What purpose does it serve?...and if you're not going to take official government issued documents as proof then what?...D
I agree. I'm sure there was a reason there was a limit to begin with and I never thought a 13 year old would outperform an 18 year old because the older person "should" be more experienced.

If they are old enough for the sweat shop (manufacturing), they should be old enough for the sweat shop (Olympic gymnastics).

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I agree. I'm sure there was a reason there was a limit to begin with and I never thought a 13 year old would outperform an 18 year old because the older person "should" be more experienced.

If they are old enough for the sweat shop (manufacturing), they should be old enough for the sweat shop (Olympic gymnastics).
exactly..I just think some people are sore because they got whipped so they're reaching for anything...D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a fair point: no one would care if china entered a 10 year old & they finished DFL.

I caught something from the commentary the other day along the lines of that the younger(shorter) girls have an advantage on many of tricks but that the impact forces are so high on their legs that they were doing damage to their not fully developed bone structure, thus,
the age limit of 16.
whatever......

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA

Younger girls are lighter therefore gain an advantage in certain events. The rule was implemented due to health concerns

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The stress of world class gymnastics has permanent, irreparable effects on a young girl's physiology. If we ban steriods in order to protect people's future health from themselves, an age minimum for women's gymnastics makes perfect sense.